Bluemour Discussion Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Is is possible that Kelly is a smoke screen for another target?

In the chance we don't land him, who is option B?

Hopper won't be just sitting around waiting for us to contact him....

I'm all for landing Kelly but I only want to give up 1 pick. Trading out multiple picks for 1 player will hurt us

Yeh just a joke, and FWIW as well as a Blues member, I'm a GWS member as well here in Canberra to support AFL in the chilly capital. They are growing in numbers though this pumpkin army!
I'm the same but with Suns on the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately I wouldn't exactly say supporter base is growing...

Kerridge will grow as a player, still young and he's the type like ed and Carrazzo was where they have worked hard to achieve.

He's grown on me in the second half of the year also. He can still make the occasional howler or two, but in the most part he's improved which is exactly what you want your younger players to do.

If we end up with pick #1 I reckon there's a decent chance our 2018 1st pick may be offered up instead.

Not sure GWS will budge on it if they sniff a chance at getting Pick 1, and realistically, Pick 1 is fair value so it would be hard for us to justify not doing the deal if it comes to mediation.

Maybe next years first plus a swap of seconds is enough to tempt them though. Might depend on their academy prospects in 2018.

Great comparison made between Kerridge and Curnow/Carrazzo, Kerridge will be a great role player for us.

Kerridge seems to be compared to Carrazzo quite often, perhaps in the hope that he'll blossom in the same way.

The most stark contrast between the two, for me, is that Carrazzo always had great hands, and awareness and vision in heavy traffic, and could build his game around this (particularly when he mastered the art of working within his limitations); Kerridge has neither good hands, or poise in the contest.

Terrific athlete, works (and runs) extremely hard, and this gets him in position to win a lot of the ball - I'm just not sure at this stage that he has the tools to ever make the most of it. Not good inside, and doesn't use it well enough to be damaging on the outside. His best hope (only hope?) is to make it as a ball-winning tagger, a la Curnow, but again, I think his relative shortcomings in traffic count against him with this, too.

Kerridge seems to be compared to Carrazzo quite often, perhaps in the hope that he'll blossom in the same way.

The most stark contrast between the two, for me, is that Carrazzo always had great hands, and awareness and vision in heavy traffic, and could build his game around this (particularly when he mastered the art of working within his limitations); Kerridge has neither good hands, or poise in the contest.

Terrific athlete, works (and runs) extremely hard, and this gets him in position to win a lot of the ball - I'm just not sure at this stage that he has the tools to ever make the most of it. Not good inside, and doesn't use it well enough to be damaging on the outside. His best hope (only hope?) is to make it as a ball-winning tagger, a la Curnow, but again, I think his relative shortcomings in traffic count against him with this, too.
Wasn't Carrots not overly quick, though? Kerridge, in addition to being able to run all day, is quite a bit faster, which should mitigate that issue somewhat; if he's getting the ball outside, he has longer to think/dispose of it.

Fair points.

Pros:
Kerridge does have good hands in the air. Can take a mark.
Has the ability and will to get to multiple contests.
Generally a good kick and a good kick on goal.
Does not get intimidated.
Can find the ball.

Cons:
Fumbly (Big 'con' I know)
Awareness (Normally I'd say, that this can't be fixed but given his role, he can work around it.)

Kerridge looks a much better player when his confidence is up.
Reckon he'll be one of those players that may come in and out of the team and serve a purpose. Will never be a stand-out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't Carrots not overly quick, though? Kerridge, in addition to being able to run all day, is quite a bit faster, which should mitigate that issue somewhat; if he's getting the ball outside, he has longer to think/dispose of it.

Yep, good point - although Carrazzo was quick of mind, if not particularly fast over the ground.

I don't mean to sound like I'm writing off Kerridge, as I think most of my quibbles about him having a spot in our 22 would be moot if he could tidy up his disposal, and be a little more calm and less fumbly when winning possession. I can't recall seeing a player at AFL level in recent times who handballs as often to the ankles of his teammates, though, or chooses options that put his teammates under pressure, more than Kerridge. May lift in quality markedly as those around him improve, perhaps.

Still, I think he has the tools to tackle his deficiencies, most notably a willingness to work hard. His ability to find the footy doesn't hurt, either.

Not sure GWS will budge on it if they sniff a chance at getting Pick 1, and realistically, Pick 1 is fair value so it would be hard for us to justify not doing the deal if it comes to mediation.

Maybe next years first plus a swap of seconds is enough to tempt them though. Might depend on their academy prospects in 2018.
Who knows. I'm still thinking it's plausible we will be given a PP on the proviso it's part of the Kelly trade so I feel it may become Pick #1 or Pick #18 + 2018 1st.

Fair points.

Pros:
Kerridge does have good hands in the air. Can take a mark.
Has the ability and will to get to multiple contests.
Generally a good kick and a good kick on goal.
Does not get intimidated.
Can find the ball.

Cons:
Fumbly (Big 'con' I know)
Awareness (Normally I'd say, that this can't be fixed but given his role, he can work around it.)

Kerridge looks a much better player when his confidence is up.
Reckon he'll be one of those players that may come in and out of the team and serve a purpose. Will never be a stand-out.

I suspect Kerridge is going to finish this year strongly

George Horlin-Smith could end up at Carlton in the trade period. Still got a year left on his contract but have heard he is frustrated at being in and out of the AFL side with Geelong having so many inside mids. Could be involved in Gaz heading to Geelong.

Interesting. Don't mind him as a player, but I don't think he'd be a long-term Best 22 option for us.

Goes into next season as a 25yo, has only managed 48 games in his career to date. His good is pretty good (but not elite) but he has a few too many quiet weeks for my liking. Would need to come in and impact from day 1, otherwise he'd end up being pushed out by high draft picks over the next two seasons anyway (and would therefore be in the same situation he's in now). Potentially another Smedts-type scenario.

Also not sure what we'd give up for him would be any help in getting Gary to Geelong. GHS wouldn't attract any more than a third rounder. If anything, it would make more sense for him to head up to GC as steak-knives given their midfield will take another hit this trade period.

Unfortunately our first pick will be number 18...

Don't tell me we are swapping a top 7 pick for 2 hacks and a pick downgrade again!! :p

Interesting. Don't mind him as a player, but I don't think he'd be a long-term Best 22 option for us.

Goes into next season as a 25yo, has only managed 48 games in his career to date. His good is pretty good (but not elite) but he has a few too many quiet weeks for my liking. Would need to come in and impact from day 1, otherwise he'd end up being pushed out by high draft picks over the next two seasons anyway (and would therefore be in the same situation he's in now). Potentially another Smedts-type scenario.

Also not sure what we'd give up for him would be any help in getting Gary to Geelong. GHS wouldn't attract any more than a third rounder. If anything, it would make more sense for him to head up to GC as steak-knives given their midfield will take another hit this trade period.

I'm not sold either I heard this from the same guy who told me Jake Lloyd might be interested in a trade to play midfield which never happened so I don't know how likely it is but it makes a lot of sense with Danger, Selwood, Menegola and Blicavs all ahead of him as inside mid he could come to Carlton where we only have Cripps. Going to Gold Coast at the moment is career suicide look at Mitch Hallahan.

Is there any chance that Ben Silvagni would be bid on in first round anyway? so this makes lots of sense

It's an intriguing scenario isn't it. JackSoS pretty well went "under the radar" and based on his performances to date and the scope for further strong development, recruiters won't be caught napping again. Jack is tracking as solidly as any 2nd rounder from that draft, if not better, so with BenSos supposedly being a "better prospect", it may be a sound decision to use our 2018 first rounder now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back