Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I doubt there'd be any talk in the pre season of making finals or not making finals. I just don't see it as our primary focus at this stage.

Any such discussions would seem to be premature and Bolton doesn't strike me as someone to put the cart before the horse.

No doubt there will be a desire to improve our ladder position but I doubt finals would be talked about.
Maybe, but I bet BB is trying to win each and every game , and will become more and more filthy when we lose. For example compare his after match pressers when we lose in the past month compared to the start of the year

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I doubt there'd be any talk in the pre season of making finals or not making finals. I just don't see it as our primary focus at this stage.

Any such discussions would seem to be premature and Bolton doesn't strike me as someone to put the cart before the horse.

No doubt there will be a desire to improve our ladder position but I doubt finals would be talked about.
No finals wont be talked about he will want to win every game.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you really think that the tone around the club through the pre-season would be one of, "Oh well, we can't make finals?" How s**t is that? :)

Don't worry about the driftwood. Every club has players making up numbers, or just simply being developed.
If a club has 18-20 players of a good standard and some workhorses underneath, you're a chance. (GWS excepted, as they have about 25)

It obviously won't be the tone around the club and he would be working as hard as he can to build the belief, but deep down he knows and so does everyone else. Chances are we're not making finals next year.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Your idea of rebuilding sounds very old-Melbourne like.

Simply getting rid of any older players no matter how good or loyal they've been for you, with one even being our captain...all for the sake of stacking our team with young talent.

Would have thought people would learn by now that doing that doesn't equal success...the kids need senior players around them to lead them and learn from them. Proper development is the key and good senior players play a large part in that.

I'd hate to see our team next year without Gibbs, Murphy and possibly Simmo.

It's not my idea of rebuilding. I've already posted what I think we should do over the next 3 years many times, I'm not going to post it again.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Chances are that we won't make finals is very different to saying, we're going to finish bottom four.........like by a lot. :)

Yes, odds are we'll finish closer to the bottom than the top, but I feel we have more reason for optimism for next year, than we had for this year...

We are a team that is more reliant on the youngsters than the seniors when it comes to winning games. They would always run out of steam in the last quarter. How many games were we in front in the last this year only to end up losing? They won't be able to put the required 4 quarter effort in next year either. We should win a few more than this year but for our 2016 draftees it'll only be their second year. Second half of the year will be tough on them as it was this year.

8 wins is a realistic target IF we don't have any significant injuries. With Simmo declining and Murphy another year older without Gibbs it'll be tough to get those 8 wins.

Shame he was never nominated for the NRS. :D

He was burnt more than Cripps ever was.

If you want proof of how much the AFL has screwed us over in recent years its that and Dennis Armfield never being named the All-Australian CHB.

8 wins is a realistic target IF we don't have any significant injuries. With Simmo declining and Murphy another year older without Gibbs it'll be tough to get those 8 wins.

If we had Cripps and Curnow we'd have easily beaten Brisbane a few weeks back. So 8 wins is only 2 wins more than this year IF we hadn't had any significant injuries.

2 wins more would be a disappointing result if we had a clean run, in my opinion.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Without Gibbs! :huh:

Well barass did say he'd request a trade again without any doubt.

I just feel that if he does, then we have to let him go (unless we get rubbish offers). There's no use keeping players who don't want to be here.

Of course, were not obligated to though, so if the offer from Adelaide isn't good enough then we keep him but they've had 12 months to think about what they will offer us in terms of draft picks. If they don't win the flag this year, they'll chase after him hard.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If we had Cripps and Curnow we'd have easily beaten Brisbane a few weeks back. So 8 wins is only 2 wins more than this year IF we hadn't had any significant injuries.

2 wins more would be a disappointing result if we had a clean run, in my opinion.

Glad you capitalised that "if". Maybe you should've bolded, enlarged and underlined it as well. In consecutive years we've had Gibbs, Murphy and Cripps missing for significant lengths of the season. This year was Kreuzer's first real injury free year in a while.

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well barass did say he'd request a trade again without any doubt.

I just feel that if he does, then we have to let him go (unless we get rubbish offers). There's no use keeping players who don't want to be here.

Of course, were not obligated to though, so if the offer from Adelaide isn't good enough then we keep him but they've had 12 months to think about what they will offer us in terms of draft picks. If they don't win the flag this year, they'll chase after him hard.

Crows going to struggle fitting him under the cap, he will have to take a pay cut!

They have their own issues holding onto players with plenty of years ahead of them and talent to burn, not sure it's anywhere near good list management to chase Gibbs, especially on the coin he is on...

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Crows going to struggle fitting him under the cap, he will have to take a pay cut!

They have their own issues holding onto players with plenty of years ahead of them and talent to burn, not sure it's anywhere near good list management to chase Gibbs, especially on the coin he is on...

But it's not about money for Gibbs right? I thought he wanted to leave for family reasons? Is he really putting a price on his family?

They'll be likely to lose Lever and McGovern, that'll surely free up cap space. Plus 20% pay increase. Not sure how it works, is it applied to every player despite what their contract says? So let's say Bryce was to stay and next year his pay was 750k, would the pay increase automatically be applied to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back