Bluemour Discussion Thread VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would allow Kade, Dale and Marc the opportunities to determine their own fate.

Don't underestimate the willingness of Daisy to play whatever role he has been asked to play nor his status as one of our best clubmen. He's still a very, very valuable mentor to a lot of younger players off of the field. We can afford to carry him on the list for one more season.

It is a good point about Daisy, one that I agree with, although I would give him a role within the club/NB, rather than keeping him on the senior list

Perhaps delist and pick him up as a rookie

Head of Strategy and High Performance in 2018.

Two things we are doing quite poorly in i'd say.

I know there are mitigating factors like our injuries...what does 'high performance' in the title even mean anyway?
Does he have anything to do with the fitness/strength and conditioning?

I don't really see us doing anything innovative strategically and it's clear our players are confused and don't really know what they're supposed to be doing...which is a failing of the coaches.

He's no Craig Jennings looking in from the outside.

Did you hear the clip Ross Lyon gave to our coaching department on his presser?? ‘I only sent the runner out twice in the first half, the second time I just made it up to give him a run..’

Coaches NEED to coach, Bolts can’t do it by himself...

Club has been told to get a gun in to start the upward climb...

Luke dude

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had some excellent points this week, eg what is happening with Jack, defensive structures etc

What they've done with JSOS is ridiculous, the poor kid doesn't know what his role is. Dropped to play as an inside mid in the VFL and after a solid month of that role he comes back in to play as a 3rd tall forward.

What the *. It doesn't make any sense when we're screaming for blokes to run through the middle so at least try what was being developed in the 2's.

It's this kind of thinking, or lack thereof, that is screwing the development of our young players.

This cannot continue.

What they've done with JSOS is ridiculous, the poor kid doesn't know what his role is. Dropped to play as an inside mid in the VFL and after a solid month of that role he comes back in to play as a 3rd tall forward.

What the ****. It doesn't make any sense when we're screaming for blokes to run through the middle so at least try what was being developed in the 2's.

It's this kind of thinking, or lack thereof, that is screwing the development of our young players.

This cannot continue.

I reckon he'll get more of a shot to prove himself than most.

What the ****. It doesn't make any sense when we're screaming for blokes to run through the middle so at least try what was being developed in the 2's.

This cannot continue.
Why can’t he learn to do a bit of both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This cannot continue.
I doubt that he's confused and I'm sure he's getting direction from the coaches. I said at the time that my theory was he was being played in the middle in VFL to get some touches, workrate and hardness back into his game and wouldn't be played there in the seniors. I stand by that to a degree, but think he showed enough in the VFL that he might get stints in the middle. Still don't think he will be full time mid in seniors. At least not for a while.

Inexperienced for the role and what good things has he actually done for us?

I want an experienced, respected head of football like Neil Balme.
Neil Balme may not be the right fit for Carlton, for historical reasons. But in principle you are correct.

Andrew McKay is running a total s**t show, and has done for quite a while now

I didn't flex my muscles per see … what I did was own up to a transgression that crossed the line. For that, I apologise, also I extend that apology to the wider CFC BF community. I wish you all the best in you posting endeavours, and I truly hope you are a Carlton supporter.

I could trawl back through the last 50 posts of your's and pick out 40 that are baseline negative, almost spiteful. It seems your ilk only come out when backs are (perception), against the wall to preach how we could be doing things better at Carlton. This staffer is bad … this player is bad … deckchairs, gameplan, drafting …. the list is almost infinite. To counter this, you never really offer a solution, which makes me think you feed off trauma.

Which yet again triggers the fact I probably should not ever bother to respond.

I certainly agree and support that healthy debate is good and should be encouraged, however, driving the line you do, it is borderline troll bait.

I will tell you one thing, I will not be suckered into an exchange, the likes of what happened 30 minutes ago, ever, with you again.

I'm all for continual improvement within CFC, however I think you sir are a sniper.

I, for one, endorse these onboard transgressions

Keep it up.

:D

I see it as a good thing if there are squabbles and people questioning what is happening at the moment within the club. It would be more worrying if they were sitting on their hands and were happy about our situation at the moment. Where can we improve, what have we done wrong, which area needs improvement? All these questions need to be addressed if we want to move forward.

I see it as a good thing if there are squabbles and people questioning what is happening at the moment within the club. It would be more worrying if they were sitting on their hands and were happy about our situation at the moment. Where can we improve, what have we done wrong, which area needs improvement? All these questions need to be addressed if we want to move forward.

Agreed, but lately it seems certain people keep harping about a single topic relentlessly, then posters are lowering themselves to attacking the man …. As you said question everything … but play the ball.

The information I get is the club is solid …. of course there are nay sayers … you get that in every organisation. I would suspect the rumblings come from the entitled group, close to the club but not in administration ….

Window shoppers always stir s**t...….. Put those guys in the hot seat for one day and they can't wait to get the **** off it.

I trialled this at work once … peeps that challenged my way … I offered the reigns for one day … most, that took the offer, melted and fully understood the pressures of running multi million dollar a week workplaces, most actually declined the offer and faded back into the shadows. It's an interesting social experiment if you are ever in a position to do so.

Edit: I have to edit this …. 2 notable people, took me up on the challenge and thrived and taught me some lessons, 1 person went onto to become a leading figure with Qube logistics, the other went overseas and is currently Ops Manager for a diamond mine in SA.

You never stop learning.

Well I learnt your username was based on your line of work and not your taste in music.

Club just needs to stay solid for another 12- 18 months

I doubt that he's confused and I'm sure he's getting direction from the coaches. I said at the time that my theory was he was being played in the middle in VFL to get some touches, workrate and hardness back into his game and wouldn't be played there in the seniors. I stand by that to a degree, but think he showed enough in the VFL that he might get stints in the middle. Still don't think he will be full time mid in seniors. At least not for a while.
Good points Its very hard to judge young players in a struggling side let alone a 3rd tall type that Jack is or has been trying to play .
Not tall enough or strong enough as yet to be a focal point in an already tall forwardline .
Not quick enough to compete to a good level at ground level .
For Jack our side and forwardline is a graveyard for him trying to pick up some scraps .
Which is why theyve got him into the game playing midfield seconds .
Its a good move may not transition him to the midfield seniors but its atleast giving him a chance to develop other areas of his game and get into the game .
Like all young players they need time , in a bottom side young players probably need even more time to establish themselves or not .

When you start talking about line coaches, they would all be struggling. There is a lack of connect across all lines. The number one factor is continuity, especially for a young list and with the added proviso of new attacking layers.

There will be changes, but I doubt it will be as brutal as what the Tigers went through

Continuity is massive. Ben Darwin (a former Wallaby prop) and Simon Strachan (former GM designer and my old rugby coach..>) have a company he started called Gain Line Analytics who work in list management and recruitment (within the scope of national & international rugby, league & soccer plus big bash & the AFL) and have done a heap of research regarding successful teams and the impacts of continuity, cohesion, unity and 'culture'.

All three they say are inherently byproducts of a good system, interestingly they also mention that successful teams can have a bad culture yet still possess great continuity, cohesion and unity (ie the WCE drug era).

It's some pretty interesting stuff. They have all these markers they use to measure how unified and stable a group is and how that relates to success through time together. Hit 7/10 and you're a decent chance to make the final or a comp, 8/10 you've got ok odds to win it, 9/10 and you could be talking dynasty.

Obviously you've got to be dealing with talent, but the research tends to suggest the concept that a b-grade team who've all been together for 3 years will outplay the team of a graders who've been put together in the last 12 months.

We can probably see that playing out with North right now; the majority of their team have been playing and training together for several years and even though they're playing a few kids it tends to be a relatively contained percentage of the 22 each week so the bulk of the team is stable. The kids coming in and out may have been in the system for somewhere in the 0.75-2.75 years so there's still that cohesion and continuity there.

Contrast that to us/GWS/Ade/WBD and how radically different the 22 looks compared to last year and it's pretty easy to see how it's all falling apart. That's exacerbated when many of the losses are the senior players who provide the on field leadership and stability.

We're frequently talking about waiting for our kids to hit 50 games as a benchmark of experience to see results, but really it's more than that, it's getting the bulk of our 22/26/list to hit that 3rd season or so of all being together that hopefully we'll see everything start to line up.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11928297 said:
Darwin says teams are better off being patient and building with young players who learn faster than those thrust into new environments.

"When you look at a player at another club, it's a mirage. He's in that system; doing that job with those
players. When you bring them to you, what a surprise it doesn't work out the same way."

Also a bit of a warning to heed expectations on new recruits and their performance within the team (as opposed to individual stats/play). It takes time and games together for it all to really click.

http://www.gainline.biz/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back