Bluemour Discussion Thread XI - Facts Not Welcome

Under what circumstances will you be happy to trade for Shiel?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has it been reported that our offer has not been good enough?

He didnt request a trade during his exit interview which at best suggests he is in two minds and at worst has cooled on the idea this year. Or maybe bluffing SOS to get him to up our offer.

Whatever it was, it wasnt enough for Shiel to sign. The offers he'll be fielding next year will be ridiculous. Super durable and talented midfielder out of contract and eligible for free agency. This year is our best year to get him.

Godfather offers are a thing of the past. They can Gagf with old Carlton. Rubbish way to manage a list now.

That’s why the Saints will fall flat on their faces. Wielding the cash around now, but really, it’s nothing more than a panic move because they’ve been spooked by the crapness of their rebuild. Adding one or two big money players won’t do much if the rest of the list is rubbish. Just look at all those years of Gazza Jr at GC.

He didnt request a trade during his exit interview which at best suggests he is in two minds and at worst has cooled on the idea this year. Or maybe bluffing SOS to get him to up our offer.

Whatever it was, it wasnt enough for Shiel to sign. The offers he'll be fielding next year will be ridiculous. Super durable and talented midfielder out of contract and eligible for free agency. This year is our best year to get him.

Didn’t really answer my question but all good.

Keep being negative.

Preparing myself for another trade period where we dont land a gun mature midfielder. Gaff, Shiel, Coniglio... I dont care. SOS better stop pulling his punches and get something done.
During the last three years SOS has brought us these 200+ game players:

Weitering, Charlie, Harry

SPS, Marchbank, Fisher, Williamson

Dow, O’Brien, TDK

Plus these players who could be great but have some work to do:

Cuningham, Jack, Pickett, Schumacher, Kennedy, Polson.

Looks like we are adding:
Walsh, McGovern.

SOS has been “getting something done” and has done an amazing job to get our list to this stage!!

Godfather offers are a thing of the past. They can Gagf with old Carlton. Rubbish way to manage a list now.
Agree imo the reported 1.1 mill for Shiel is basically a godfather offer for him .
Thats tops any club going past that is negligent in its list management and sets themselves up for a Port Adelaide fallout .
Having said that i dont have a problem if we were to front end a 1-1.1 mill per year offer to Shiel .
I think the benefits will have a flow on effect the opposite to what may happen to Port Adelaide .

He has been good but did surprise us with additions of mullet ,oshea and shaw ..
The specific players are questionable decisions; however, picking up delisted or extremely cheaply traded players who are primarily there for VFL and depth to the AFL was not a surprise at all. It's a very smart way of managing the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair points.

Maybe GWS and Shiel discussed their options and each other’s interests in terms of him staying till end 2019 or leaving now. Or if the right deal came along would he consider it.

Not asking for a trade doesn’t mean they didn’t discuss it or agree to think about options - probably just inflates the offers to both GWS and Shiel.

He has been good but did surprise us with additions of mullet ,oshea and shaw ..
O’Shea is horrible but I wouldn’t be surprised if mullet or even Shaw would’ve thrived in a different and more advanced system.
Just look at last night,how do you think any of the following players would’ve gone at carlton this year
Mayne
Thomas
Cox
Langdon
Greenwood
Mihocek
Aish
Hoskin-Elliott
Crisp
Most of these are journeymen,even players like
Varcoe
Crisp
They would struggle in our team too.
It’s the ability of the senior players to lead ,players like
Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Grundy
Adams
Treloar
Howe
Goldsack
If these scum bags manage to pull it off next week it’ll be a truly team effort by a team mostly made up of average footballers..
There’s hope for us all if they do.

How much of a change are you expecting for next year?

I just want to look to a round of footy and not think about how much we are going to get flogged by.

Agree imo the reported 1.1 mill for Shiel is basically a godfather offer for him .
Thats tops any club going past that is negligent in its list management and sets themselves up for a Port Adelaide fallout .
Having said that i dont have a problem if we were to front end a 1-1.1 mill per year offer to Shiel .
I think the benefits will have a flow on effect the opposite to what may happen to Port Adelaide .

Apparently our offer was nowhere near the Saints' of 1.3M over six which, to me at least, casts doubt as to whether we offered 1.1M.

The way you are talking, it sounds like you'd give up pick 1 or two top ten picks for him.

How did you get that from me saying that McGovern did not get dropped this year which is just stating the facts?

I could not care less if we get McGovern or not as I think we will be ok up fwd and down back.

Are you trying to say McGovern is not in the crowd best 22 therefore we shouldn’t take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back