Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restricted free agent. They can match next year and force a trade.

I thought that was the way it worked initially as well...

Heard a little while back (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you 'match' the offer the player can choose to either return to the original club or go to the draft with no compensation, so risky move for GWS if they were to go down that path...

Re: the Dangerfield situation, that was a 'gentleman's agreement' between Adelaide and Geelong prior to an offer being tabled...

So, risky

They are under pressure as he is a free agent next year...they will get circa pick 15 for him as compensation next year, so pressure is on GWS to deal...

Will be worth it if GWS wins the premiership with Shiel in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify the future picks thing, there's this Myth that the AFL can give you special dispensation to not use 2 1st Round Picks in a rolling 4 year period. That's not actually true. What happened was Geelong wanted to trade a First Round Pick for Zach Tuohy after already trading two first round picks in 2015 and 2016. So it's supposed to be a rolling 4 year period, but Geelong said, 'well we haven't had 4 years yet.' So the AFL made a decision the rolling period would start to be enforced in the 5th year (next year.) It's the reason Hawthorn could trade this year's 1st Rounder, but couldn't trade their future pick.
So AFL decided to acually clarify the rule 2 years in to make Geelong compliant.... AFL is a ******* joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back