Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, you don’t want Bennell anywhere near the club. Freo couldn’t get him out quick enough. There were even players Freo chased last trade period who refused to go there because of him. Do not want at any cost
I don't buy that, they re-signed him twice when it was far easier to cut him then couldn't have given him a more glowing recommendation on the way out.

The rest might be true, but the way Freo handled him doesn't line up with the bolded.

Unfortunately, North's involvement just makes it harder for us to get a deal done and probably make us pay more then we would want.

Just get Martin done as priority and if it gets too hard for Papley, let it be.

Not sure that's the case.

Interest from NM makes no difference to the trade cost, as by that stage Papley will have nominated a club. We have enough assets to get the deal done, and Sydney can quite easily trade for Wood independently of us.

The only way interest from NM drives up our "cost" is if we have to compete with a contract offer to Papley himself.

Side benefit of the Ellis situation though - players will know exactly what happens if they try to game us on our offer. So if Papley or his manager want to play the game, I'm tipping SOS will gently remind them that we do have options, and whilst we'd love to have Papley at the club he has to be coming for the right reasons and the right deal.

I love the Bennell story where the Tigers paid for his flight to Melbourne to do an interview. He arrived proceeded to go straight out partying and then turned up 4 hours late for his interview the next day.

After the head of football reluctantly agree to talk to him the first thing he said was how much are youse guys going to pay me😂.

Not sure that's the case.

Interest from NM makes no difference to the trade cost, as by that stage Papley will have nominated a club. We have enough assets to get the deal done, and Sydney can quite easily trade for Wood independently of us.

The only way interest from NM drives up our "cost" is if we have to compete with a contract offer to Papley himself.

Side benefit of the Ellis situation though - players will know exactly what happens if they try to game us on our offer. So if Papley or his manager want to play the game, I'm tipping SOS will gently remind them that we do have options, and whilst we'd love to have Papley at the club he has to be coming for the right reasons and the right deal.
SOS will move on contracts like he done so with Shiel and Cogs. I think the Ellis situation was more about an agreed contract that they later tried to push up.

Harley Bennell has better stats than Brad Hill, Issac Smith and Tom Scully; three of the best wingers of the last decade.

Gets less of the ball than Gaff, but kicks 3x as many goals. Kicks more goals per game than Dusty! (just)

If his calves aren't made of paper mache and we could sort him out off-field, he would be a HUGE talent addition.

EDIT: Thanks Robbo
If it were to be, you would think jason mifsud would be playing a vital role.

I love the Bennell story where the Tigers paid for his flight to Melbourne to do an interview. He arrived proceeded to go straight out partying and then turned up 4 hours late for his interview the next day.

After the head of football reluctantly agree to talk to him the first thing he said was how much are youse guys going to pay me😂.

Lol exactly. You know there's a real problem when Dusty says you're ‘‘too loose’’.

If the club feels he is not a risk to our young group just roll the dice...nothing ventured, nothing gained...massive upside if Russell can get his body right.
Maybe the penny has dropped that this is his last chance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The bloke has been given about 10 last chances.

Low investment, high reward, but extremely high chance that it doesn't pan out.

Players with a long history of off-field issues - whether it's alcohol, drugs, violence, association with questionable characters, etc. - are players we're not ready to be trying to rehabilitate. We've got too many young kids trying to find their feet for that sort of influence to be brought in-house. In 5-6 years when these same young kids are mature men who can lead instead of being led, then we can roll the dice on a bloke who needs a rock solid supporting environment to keep him focused.

"People change, people grow up" is all well and good, but let's be honest, not all people do. And some need to fall bloody hard before they'll ever be capable of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give Bennell a rookie contract and let Russell at him for a year, what's the worst that'll happen? Huge upside

Don't think the reward is worth the massive risk and potential damaging repercussions/effect around our young lads at the club to be honest.

I thought it was an EX of one of his teammates...?
Please confirm WTF is going on with him?

You're right. Looks like an Ex. Freo board are divided - some say he is being pushed out to keep others happy. May come cheap.

Don't think the reward is worth the massive risk and potential damaging repercussions/effect around our young lads at the club to be honest.
I don't buy it - one player is not going to destroy the Club!

Bennell would come in knowing that our senior players and coaches would be watching him very closely

Equivalent to flying some knob in a private jet up to Noosa...

Stormin' Norman!

Seems he is still around in the Ovens & King Football League, time to get him back?

Imagine Angwin and Norman with the drive and will-to-win of Walsh!!! Who knows. maybe "they" both got it spot-on in a parallel universe(s) somewhere out/(in) there? Might be the best way to get bad players right - rocket em' up to a black-hole somewhere and they might just make good on the "other side"! Who knows, there might be "Angwins" and "Normans" somewhere in our multiverse that have played in Premiership CFC teams since 1995!:cool:

So have most teams but that’s starting to change...Adelaide & St Kilda for example.

We really are in no position to mock a club like Norf though, given how bad we have been since 2002. They very nearly snagged Gaff last year, so they must be doing something right..

There is also the Rhyce Shaw at the Swans connection too.
Let's try and be a bit more humble till Papley (hopefully) nominates us.

We really are in no position to mock a club like Norf though, given how bad we have been since 2002. They very nearly snagged Gaff last year, so they must be doing something right..

There is also the Rhyce Shaw at the Swans connection too.
Let's try and be a bit more humble till Papley (hopefully) nominates us.

Hopefully Newman is showing him a good time in Melb.

OMG, I had forgotten that story.

Dustin Martin described him as 'too loose'....:eek:

....Based on that alone I take back everything I said about it being worth a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back