Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No No No. Our situation now is list stability, we can add but we can’t extract - unless they are delisted. This is a time where belief and psychology are playing a huge part, every one of those guys needs to know they all belong at the Blues and they can all contribute to something special.

We also need to be wary that in years to come clubs will come knocking and targeting our talent - then and only then do we consider a trade because that’s when clubs will pay - when we have something they want.

We can’t allow a team to come and just pluck a super talented youngster from the list that we have built for sustained success. Keeping team unity and our you g talent is more important to us than Papley. There I said it.
Absolutely Spot on. Another reason i don't want Levi to be traded unless he requests it. He has sacrificed so much to stay with us and now finding peak form. To trade him now would send a message that our players are just meat. The close comradery they are building now is still fragile until we start having some sustained success. No reason to start a mercenary mentality.

Fully on-board with the Papley pursuit, I've thought he's a real player for a long time. But if the Sydney-Daniher-contracted for 4 years shenanigans lead it into "too hard basket" category, pivoting to spend similar currency on Laird would be a good option. Could get small forward help in Eddie and Butler for not much, secure Martin, and try for Laird.

Collectively would add plenty of run, skill and smarts around our developing core.

Forgive me if I missed the context, but what was this regarding, Broady?
Context of discussion -- do clubs sometimes give up good players (like a Marchbank for a Papley) before they win a flag.....I agree with the broader premise no they usually don't but there are exceptions to every rule. I threw up Griffen as an example, in fairness he wanted out and wasn't traded just because the Dogs didn't want him or saw something better come along. But sometimes you have to give up something valuable to improve the overall team.

It's moot as TCP says the club isn't indulging the Swans' interest in Marchbank.

Apparently Whatley said on SEN that Norf would have gotten pick 9 as FA Compo if Goldstein left. Although I think that is nonsense, massive lol to Norf it was true:)
What a load of rubbish. No way would a 31 year old player warrant band 1 compo. Anyway, we have pick 8 so it is impossible for North to receive pick 9 as this is directly after our pick, not their's.

Context of discussion -- do clubs sometimes give up good players (like a Marchbank for a Papley) before they win a flag.....I agree with the broader premise no they usually don't but there are exceptions to every rule. I threw up Griffen as an example, in fairness he wanted out and wasn't traded just because the Dogs didn't want him or saw something better come along. But sometimes you have to give up something valuable to improve the overall team.

It's moot as TCP says the club isn't indulging the Swans' interest in Marchbank.
Cheers. Yeah gotta agree, though those circumstances were pretty untenable. Still miraculous how they turned it around so quick (possibly overachieved). FWIW the only senior players I can see being traded/moving on outside delisting (Lang, Deluca would be nervous) would sadly be Levi and maybe Flip give the recent chatter and contract situations.

As someone who works for a company that does medical tests, we have a contract so as stated don’t pay per test done, we would be about 5-15% of medical test go on to employment
Sounds like a good rort.
I'm in the wrong business! LOL

What a load of rubbish. No way would a 31 year old player warrant band 1 compo. Anyway, we have pick 8 so it is impossible for North to receive pick 9 as this is directly after our pick, not their's.

As you know in all circumstances it actually does unless the players name is Jarrad Waite and he happens to play for Carlton.

:rolleyes:

As someone who works for a company that does medical tests, we have a contract so as stated don’t pay per test done, we would be about 5-15% of medical test go on to employment
Still think it's bad practice if the company has to rely on info from chats had at medicals.
I'd have thought they'd have better Intel than that, e.g. player managers

Cheers. Yeah gotta agree, though those circumstances were pretty untenable. Still miraculous how they turned it around so quick (possibly overachieved). FWIW the only senior players I can see being traded/moving on outside delisting (Lang, Deluca would be nervous) would sadly be Levi and maybe Flip give the recent chatter and contract situations.
What about sending Harrison McCreadie and Cam Polson to the Gold Coast. They are in the Lang Category.

No No No. Our situation now is list stability, we can add but we can’t extract - unless they are delisted. This is a time where belief and psychology are playing a huge part, every one of those guys needs to know they all belong at the Blues and they can all contribute to something special.

We also need to be wary that in years to come clubs will come knocking and targeting our talent - then and only then do we consider a trade because that’s when clubs will pay - when we have something they want.

We can’t allow a team to come and just pluck a super talented youngster from the list that we have built for sustained success. Keeping team unity and our you g talent is more important to us than Papley. There I said it.

He hasn’t played a full season in his entire career to date. We have cover in his position, and I wouldn’t even place him in the ‘super talented’ bracket. He’s a good player with nice athleticism who intercepts well, but also has his weaknesses in his kicking skills and lack of composure at times.

We clearly already have players they want, hence Marchbank being asked about. There’s no use bringing up ‘sustained success’ when talking about Marchbank until he’s shows some sustained fitness. You never plan for players breaking down, but there’s also no guarantee with players who spend significant periods on the sidelines they’ll reach the heights we’re anticipating they do.

You have to be flexible and pragmatic when it comes to your list management, and without pushing players out the door, you have to be transparent with your expectations of the squad and realistic about areas of depth and areas of weakness.

I don’t see any real value in ousting Marchbank at this point, but I certainly have concerns about his long-term position in the team and his propensity for injury. If Marchbank wanted to go elsewhere, and it allowed us to bring in a player of need I think we’d consider moving him on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still baffled by Cats' ruck target situation. They have like 14 on their list - at least a few of whom are solid citizens.

If it's between us and Cats, I can see Jacobs going to the Cattery.

Laird would be fricken fantastic for us.

Adelaide have Laird, Smith, Brown and before that had Jaensch
Medium-ish sized players who weren’t good enough as mids but who are good kicks and take the game on from defence. Surely we can manufacture a quality defender out of someone on our list. SPS looked ok. Stocker was ok. Cunningham?? Maybe Ed?

That'd be the only way you could get me on board, but Marchbank isn't going anywhere.

Same. If we're effectively swapping Marchbank for Laird or Talia then I'd be mighty interested. Otherwise no chance.

Poking around a player's girlfriend on social media...?

Yek.

Not really, i was just trying to work out who his girlfriend was, seeing she had gotten mentioned a couple of times.

You're not starting a rumour on the rumour thread are you?

It was just that she had a picture of him from his childhood on her Instagram, is that something a guy would give to a female friend?
If they had grown up together or something, that would make more sense to me.

Question for y'all. How would you rate our targets - outside of Papley, Martin, Eddie (the obvious ones we're looking at getting) - in terms of preference/importance to our side, on the assumption that our Future first rounder and change is on the table?

NB: Must be names we've heard of that could be on the move.

For mine, it'd be:
1. B. Crouch (perfect foil and on cusp of A grader but has injury risk, which Russell would help with)
2. Laird (dual-AA HB capable of pushing up the ground)
3. Wines
4. Viney

No doubt a few others I've missed, but these would be my personal hit list. Get Papley and Martin to publicly jump on board, Eddie/Sauce to commit then we've got much more pull/momentum to make a deal happen.

Re Phillips, he has shown a bit when given a few games, but only gets a look in when Kreuz is injured.
I don't see the point in Cameron or Jacobs as it would be the same situation.
If I had the choice of Paps or Laird, i'd take Laird everytime and top up with Butler/Eddie, and from within, Cunners/Fish/Martin
although having said all that i'd still like Papley.

Question for y'all. How would you rate our targets - outside of Papley, Martin, Eddie (the obvious ones we're looking at getting) - in terms of preference/importance to our side, on the assumption that our Future first rounder and change is on the table?

For mine, it'd be:
1. B. Crouch (perfect foil and on cusp of A grader but has injury risk, which Russell would help with)
3. Wines
4. Viney

No doubt a few others I've missed, but these would be my personal hit list. Get Papley and Martin to publicly jump on board, Eddie/Sauce to commit then we've got much more pull/momentum to make a deal happen.

Outside of our main targets it would be whoever is gettable...We won't have much currency left to spend. If we can grab Crouch I'd be pretty happy. We need another solid experienced B+ / A- midfielder.

For mine, it'd be:
3. Wines
4. Viney

Defenders: Cutler > Laird >>>>>> Talia
Cutler a really solid budget acquisition, flexible player who wouldn't cost much at the trade table. Laird the standout pick for talent, and we could shuffle the team to fit him in, just not convinced it would be an efficient use of picks in the trade. Talia even less of a need, and that with the probable price tag

Mids: Martin > Crouch >>> Viney >>> Greenwood > Ellis-Yolmen
Ball use and pace high on our list of needs, so Martin the preferred option. Crouch a medium risk, high reward option, dependent on cost. I've cooled on Viney a bit, but reckon I'd come round pretty quick if we found a way to get him at a good price. The two other Adelaide boys would be fine for depth, and would probably get games, but wouldn't be high on my list of priorities.
*Left Wines out as his manager has unequivocally canned any chance of a move.

Forwards: Papley >>>>>> Betts > Butler > Gray
Papley the absolute standout here, so important for our structure and efficiency up forward. Betts + draftee is preferable in my book to one of the other lesser small forwards, but I wouldn't be upset if we picked one of them up.

Rucks: Jacobs / Cameron
Can see reason either way. Jacobs gives us proven AFL-grade ruck support if Kreuzer goes down, but is on a shorter timer. Whereas Cameron has time on his side, but could still end up a complete bust. With TDK developing I think either would do a job, the question is whether we want a bloke who gives us something immediately and adds to the coaching/development assets, or a bloke who provides depth for the next 6 years and might be more than that. If Phillips was to find a gig elsewhere, I'd be happy to nab both.

Kennedy's hands really impressed me, he was one touch and rarely fumbled. Really hoping we get him fit because I still think he can be a player!

Kennedy is a serious “footballer”.

Clean hands, good mark and super kick for goal.

Just has to get his body up to AFL standard - those ankle injuries have crippled his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back