Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this talk of Eddie being "cooked" laughable when you look at his stats for this season. Whilst there can be no doubt that he's past his prime, he would still be a very valuable asset both on and off the field for a season or two. And it's not like he will be stealing anyone's position.

All this talk of Betts coming back is great..

But has it been mentioned anywhere here that 12 of his goals last season was against Gold Coast??

We played the Suns twice too, none of our forwards came close to kicking 12. Such a ridiculous argument against drafting a bloke.

FINALLY. Someone asking the REAL questions in this thread.

Very hard debate this one. I see both sides of the argument and there's no easy answer.

Recently I've been on the way out kinda guy.

Easy answer - always get one on the way in unless the line is really long. Can't take the risk that you'll end up buying more than planned and having your hands full on the way out.

Only exception to the rule is if your footy/cricket club's arch rival is running the BBQ, in which case they can piss right off.

KohPhi said:

All this talk of Betts coming back is great..

But has it been mentioned anywhere here that 12 of his goals last season was against Gold Coast??

SE_Blue said:

Take away Betts’ 12 goals against the Suns and he’d still have been our second highest goal kicker for 2019, only one behind McKay. Just throwing that one out there.

Macca43 said:

Add in Betts 12 goals against the Suns for us and we wouldn't have lost to the Suns!

Attachments

• 1568770587091.png
    1568770587091.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 82
I've said my piece on Eddie. Nothing against your argument, but i'm not gonna pi$$ on one of my favorite players just to win an internet argument.

If we get our A targets and move on....then great.

If we don't and we decide Eddie is needed for a year....then i hope he does well.
Why can't we get our A targets and Eddie?

I've said my piece on Eddie. Nothing against your argument, but i'm not gonna pi$$ on one of my favorite players just to win an internet argument.

If we get our A targets and move on....then great.

If we don't and we decide Eddie is needed for a year....then i hope he does well.

.....just about him being dropped for doing/not doing certain things remember these were his stats at the time....

Screenshot_20190726-135226.png Screenshot_20190726-135208.png

.....however you do make an excellent argument about the longevity of players playing behind the ball rather than in the forward half.

Due to living in Adelaide I have no doubt in some ways my heart is overuling my head with this decision, so I too trust the club to take which ever path they decide.

The last six years has been self inflicted torture. I've had Crows supporters daily talk to me about him, as if I hadn't watched every one of his 184 games he'd played before he joined them. Most didn't even want him!

They have no idea about the goal against Collingwood in the pocket after Scotland got decked in the middle in 2006, the freak goal on the boundary line at Football Park against Port in 2013 that helped spark the miracle comeback, or the miracle against * in the "Walker mark" game of 2011.

Most only know of him from 2014 onwards.

I tried everything to convince myself it was the right decision for him to leave. "Needed to be more than just a forward pocket", "You don't pay forward pockets 500k+ a year" "He can't handle the likes of Nick Smith, Ben Stratton" "He goes missing in big games" etc, but I'm just kidding myself.

I need this as closure!

We played the Suns twice too, none of our forwards came close to kicking 12. Such a ridiculous argument against drafting a bloke.

You do realise what Betts kicked for another club, under a different game plan, under different forward structures, with different forward 50 entries, with different player target structure, has no bearing on his output next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise what Betts kicked for another club, under a different game plan, under different forward structures, with different forward 50 entries, with different player target structure, has no bearing on his output next year?

You do realise that this Big Footy and valid arguments have no bearing on any discussion?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When McGovern was carrying a bit around the middle, the No.11 on his back stretched out like brackets.. ( )

McGovern has gone all Prince on us and has changed his name to 'The athlete formerly known as Brackets'...

It is clear we have taken a slightly different path to the Lions, when it comes to more experienced players, both strategies might be effective.

If we miss on other small forwards like Papley, who can also play further up the ground, then maybe Betts will be viewed differently

Our issue is between the arcs, we need mids. Our conversion once inside 50 is comparable to other clubs, but not our inside 50 entries

A compromise needs to be reached, Betts on a rookie contract would satisfy all stakeholders including supporters

An extremely charitable way of saying that senior players refused to go near us.

.....just about him being dropped for doing/not doing certain things remember these were his stats at the time....

I tried everything to convince myself it was the right decision for him to leave. "Needed to be more than just a forward pocket", "You don't pay forward pockets 500k+ a year" "He can't handle the likes of Nick Smith, Ben Stratton" "He goes missing in big games" etc, but I'm just kidding myself.

I need this as closure!

Any chance you could make the pics a bit bigger?

Having trouble reading them.

It's funny that some people are dismissing 12 of Eddie's goals because they were against the Gold Coast.
After having a look, these are the highest individual goals scored against the Suns thus year.

Jeremy Cameron - 9
Jarryd Roughead - 6
Charlie Cameron - 6
Eddie Betts - 6 x 2

If it's so easy to kick goals against the Suns then why isn't every doing it.

Probably need to look at goal kicking spread of goal kickers against the Suns.

Everyone stick their snouts in the trough.

;) :p

Or did he get dropped because he simply wasn't getting along with Pyke?

And what exactly isn't he doing? His 52 tackles would have had him ranked 12th at the club , in between Setterfiled & Dow and just 5 behind Gibbons who kicked just 16 goals.

If it turns out Betts can't force his way into our best 22 then giving up pick 39 isn't a great loss but if he can then he is a significant upgrade on what we have.

If it’s pick 39 then fuggedaboutit

I don’t think SOS will take him for less than pick 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back