Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Last edited by a moderator:
If the Suns are taking the Kings 2 & 3, looks likely Adelaide to trade up to take Lukocious at 4 and Port take Rankine at 5, Pick 6 would give the choice of Rozee or Bailey Smith. Added with Walsh, would be a great draft.
Except...they have no idea who we will take....brillliant.....they will run round like ants

Thanks. And FWIW, I reckon Silvagni did well. Added 3 clear and one fringe best 22, lost nobody, kept our first rounders. Didn’t get Shiel, but we did come last - amazing we were in it at all. Once we missed Shiel we were never going to blow next year’s first or the salary cap space on an average, seasoned mid. Both those things - the cap space and the pick - are too valuable if we rise a bit and are therefore an attractive destination for a proper gun (Kelly, Coniglio, who knows who else) next year

Yep agree, as good a trade period as we could reasonably hope for since we came last and won 2 games.

A lot of possible cheap mature options imo had baggage and not worth it...eg Libba, Barlow

Kept our firsts so we can draft Walsh and look to use our 2019 & 2020 1st rounders in trades for a gun if the opportunity arises.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-23/could-suns-duo-become-secondchance-blues

There's also nothing stopping the kid from signing a new, longer deal, with a lower average wage.

As for the article, here's what I got out of it:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-16/bargain-or-bust-question-marks-over-new-hawk

That, plus his injury history, is what's scared teams away.

Footy's got some serious image and culture problems at the moment, so I'm pretty disappointed that as a rebuilding club, we're not interested in rolling up our sleeves and trying to better define where AFL fits in the national identity, and what it can do for the general public. If AFL House, the clubs and broadcasters are still selling that tribal/underdog nonsense in 10 years time, the game's growth will suffer.

One way we can drive that kind of change is coming up with a way to convince a kid like Scrimshaw what he and others get out of him performing on match day. The dream of being a sports star used to be a pure, community-centric one for many people, and I think that's an archetype that this kid would embrace with a bit of guidance.
I think your reading of things regarding Scrim is skewed because of highly you rated him pre-draft, it’s pretty clear that many did not want to draft him. Personally, for the pick that was given I would’ve liked to have seen us go after him as well, he has attributes that the vast majority of us only dream of having, but we just didn’t want him. I’m not really sure what you are on about for much of your post, AFL footy is a tough, tough environment and most don’t have what it takes.

The salaries for those 2016 GC recruits that you mentioned were higher than that is what I heard, hence part of the reason the 17th team has salary cap issues.

That list shows we’re still pretty shallow. Picking from them it’s Kerridge & Lamb for me. Kerridge can take some of the hits in the middle and Lamb plays a role somewhere.
With respect to both you really wouldn’t be playing them if you didn’t have to.
Don’t know enough about the DFAs to form an opinion if there is anyone of better quality than these two.
Your thoughts Soap?

Really not sure. We have to take 3 picks in draft so that leaves one spot for a DFA or sign up and uncontracted player
I think LeBois will stay so that's 3 rookies spots left

And that's exactly why we can't say SOS didn't do well - who did we miss out on? You can't say we missed someone who didn't actually "nominate" to play for us.

The way we used the state league players and don't have any second round picks can be argued as the wrong way to do it, but that's the strategy we've chosen and we'll have to see how it works out.

Forget the talk of other supporters about the way we used our state league picks...

We used them in trades to help us nab McGovern and Setterfield, two mature players so yeah, really we did use them as intended.
It's why the AFL let us trade them, they could have said 'no you must use them'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh Goddard vs. Keiran Collins ... which one for a DFA spot?
Neither...if I was gonna pick up anyone as a DFA, it would be Nathan Freeman. Still only 23, absolute bull, and looks like he may finally got his body right. Deserves a chance.

With Andrew Russell on board, would be worth the risk....if anyone could get him right

List Status:

Kerridge Graham Lamb Rowe LeBois (rookie) are uncontracted (I think)

So far we have 36 players contracted
I think we will have a minimum 3 picks in draft and 3 as rookies
That leaves TWO positions to fill with our uncontracted players or DFA's (unless we pay out anyone)

I'd keep Kerridge, for all his faults - offers two-way run on a list that remains chronically short of defensive running. And I sort of hope the Club keeps Rowe - don't like seeing 99-gamers flicked, but that is probably a bit sentimental. For mine, Newman takes Lamb's spot.

Quite aside from the urge to make a joke from your choice of words... we'd be mad to knock back two picks in the top six if it came to that. I also think we can do without the pressure that pick one brings. Let GC bask in the symbolism of a glorious new rebuild with the first two picks in the draft.

Joke away …. I have thick skin champ …..

Symbolism can GAGF'd\

We have a pretty ******* talented core. Was just hoping for a 23-25 ready made gun to help Crippa in the middle …..

Let SOS dangle the first ….. see what nibbles ….. its like a shot clock in BBall …… maybe a team blinks … maybe not …. silly not to dangle it though …..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back