Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I don't necessarily expect us to come out with something unique and innovative in 2019. Just string together as many consistent performances as possible. Control the ball, dictate the play, and when we pull the trigger do it with conviction and a forward structure that can benefit from it.

I’ve said it before but we should be looking closely at West Coast’s gameplan and see if we can incorporate something similar, which really is just a much more efficient model of our 2016-2017 game style with better players.

Don’t under estimate the value of quality assistant coaches too ie: Buckley ...pretty sure they bought in some quality assistant coaches last year at Collingwood

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Don’t under estimate the value of quality assistant coaches too ie: Buckley ...pretty sure they bought in some quality assistant coaches last year at Collingwood
Everytime a coach has been in the crosshairs and the club has spared them and swapped out the assistants, that club has quickly rebounded. Clubs that have shot the coach have stayed down the bottom more often than not.

Bulldogs maybe the exception to this rule?

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Everytime a coach has been in the crosshairs and the club has spared them and swapped out the assistants, that club has quickly rebounded. Clubs that have shot the coach have stayed down the bottom more often than not.

100% and I’m a big fan of Bolts, he’s pretty much the one man responsible for creating the culture we have at the club today.

He does need help though, Sam Mitchell was the man who helped turn around the eagles mids in last years grand final, who’s ours? I thought Cam Bruce would be the man but I’m yet to be convinced.

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Couple of tidbits, apologies that it’s nothing new. Expect Cognilio to either be in Perth or navy blue in 2020.

Kerr to be used predominantly down back this year.

This year also shapes as a make or break for our senior coach, really needs to show something. The opinion is that he’s great with the group but may need some help tactically.

Great to see that our esteemed administration and wonderful new football manager have surrounded him with proven tacticians, with track records of success for 2019.

Oh wait...

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Bolts should be fine for at least 2 more years - what more could he have done?

The playing list has been a conveyor belt, our health & fitness staff a failure.... He's just one guy!
This is what I’m thinking.
He has now got ‘his team’ to work with. As long as we see improvement from here on.

For him to be ‘judged’ on the list he was handed, the turnover of players and then the considerable injuries is unfair.

Bolts should be fine for at least 2 more years - what more could he have done?

The playing list has been a conveyor belt, our health & fitness staff a failure.... He's just one guy!
Not so sure about that, a repeat of 2018 or something close to it would see him lucky to survive in the job. There was a lot of discussion in 2018 suggesting he would not be judged on wins and losses but i doubt that will be the case this year.

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not so sure about that, a repeat of 2018 or something close to it would see him lucky to survive in the job. There was a lot of discussion in 2018 suggesting he would not be judged on wins and losses but i doubt that will be the case this year.

There’s a reason the club wanted to bring in Walls, given it’s only for one season Bolts really needs to show he’s the man for the job.

Providing we don’t have a cursed run with injuries again I think we need to aim for between 8-10 wins.

seems people are starting to get a little hung up on the number of wins we might achieve in the comng season - sounds like someone who decides to take up fishing and the first thing they buy is a skillet - we need to learn how to win first - the feeling will become quite addictive - we are a club that has clearly forgotten how to win, what it means for stability, attractiveness to opposition free agents and members new and current - we still need patience at every level

There’s a reason the club wanted to bring in Walls, given it’s only for one season Bolts really needs to show he’s the man for the job.

Providing we don’t have a cursed run with injuries again I think we need to aim for between 8-10 wins.
I am still a little confused as to why we (the club) think that bringing in Walls is a good idea. The football industry has moved on in the last 30 years so I am not sure bringing in Walls helps us move forward at all.

8 - 10 wins is probably a little high imo , i am thinking more 6 - 8 wins would be a reasonable target for 2019 given where we have come from.

Bluey24

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Keep reading :rolleyes:

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
seems people are starting to get a little hung up on the number of wins we might achieve in the comng season - sounds like someone who decides to take up fishing and the first thing they buy is a skillet - we need to learn how to win first - the feeling will become quite addictive - we are a club that has clearly forgotten how to win, what it means for stability, attractiveness to opposition free agents and members new and current - we still need patience at every level

Talk about finals in 2019 (serious or not...) is disturbing. Pls put these wild takes on hold for another year or so.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Safe to say we'll throw the farm at Cognillio, Kelly and Tomlinson this year, and see if we cant shake one loose.

The two names at the top of my list last year (Shiel and Neale) both eventually moved, but left for elsewhere.

Who else is A grade or a very good player that we should be throwing the sink at?
Viney, Petracca (to a lesser extent), either of the Brayshaws, Venables, Greene (if he ever becomes disaffected with GWS) and Hopper/Whitfield (depending on whether you need a centre starter or a wing).

Others aren't stars or are unobtainable.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
but the brand of footy has been pretty disappointing regardless of who’s on the park, I’m sure you’d agree.
No I wouldn't agree. We played attacking football with high risk often when we could get a decent team on the ground. Very raw and young still but look out here come the blues. Great to watch and they will just get better and better at it.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Hawthorn are playing Adelaide in round 1.

That was probably a 50 50 game.

No Mitchell means Adelaide probably win quite comfortably.

Unlikely AA, if our injury woes matched last season, you can hardly blame the coach for that. Hard to win games under those circumstances.

The club promised a 66 game rebuild, we have just completed that. Now comes stage two of the process. Why the * would the club sack him one year after beginning stage two? Makes no sense at all, especially as we have identified big problems with the non-senior coach side of the footy department, that have just started to be rectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back