Bluemour Discussion Thread XVI - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing Percy, you're talking about a List Management group that selected a player in the draft who ran away from the police whilst they requested an alcohol test, yet weren't prepared to take on a kid who arrived late to an interview. Here is my thought, I know your suggestion is rubbish.
I’m only telling you what I was told. I didn’t get the impression from what was said to me that Richards tardiness at the interview was the sole reason for his non selection but it was stated as a factor in the decision.
Who knows. I wasn’t there. But given the identity of my source that means that the info I got was very reliable hearsay, let’s put it that way.
Anyway this topic is now exhausted.
Let’s move on.

Sadly Ed Richards is EXACTLY what we need

I’m only telling you what I was told. I didn’t get the impression from what was said to me that Richards tardiness at the interview was the sole reason for his non selection but it was stated as a factor in the decision.
Who knows. I wasn’t there. But given the identity of my source that means that the info I got was very reliable hearsay, let’s put it that way.
Let’s move on.
Yea, with you Percy on that, lets move on.
Enough of the echoes from the porcelain conch shell.

Cyril Rioli’s impact was immediate, from his first year in the system.

Polson on the other hand is miles off that.

Poor comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is about using the eye test before referring to stats.

According to statistics, Polson is one of the best pressure players in our team. He always records one of the highest scores for pressure acts in our team when he plays.

If you take a Polson vs Rioli comparison, I don't see Polson causing defenders the same concerns from a defensive perspective as what Cyril did.

Simple as that. This isn't about player comparisons. It's more about the eye test vs statistics.

I'd still take O'brien. Think we made the right call.

His running power is going to be a real asset for us and he'll flourish once he's built up enough strength to compete after another couple of preseasons.

I think people are enamoured with Richards at the moment because our defenders are dropping like flies. And yes, he would slot into our defense quite nicely, but I'd still take LOB.

Will be a great player and is a good fit for our club.
Next year after another preseason spent in the gym with AR, we are going to see some strength put on top of that running power he has and people will stop trying to say that we should have taken player x from that draft instead. At this point in their careers as they are still developing into AFL quality players, some will be slight more advanced than others and people are always going to be playing "what if" games. Look at where they are in a couple of years and then comment. Nobody really starts hitting their straps until they hit 21-22 years old anyway.

Let’s move on.

You haven't answered a lot of questions thrown at you - because they are inconvenient to your troll narrative- you pretty much came in suggested SOS and Co had the blowtorch applied to them by the Board ( meaning presumably - Lyon/Judd agreed to some nuff nuff from the Board playing harry hindsight three years too early) because "they FAILED" in not selecting some kid who went somewhere else and has played ok somewhere else - just rubbish m8 - the only oxygen you've gotten on here are from the usual suspect(s) who love to get a sniff of SOS failing - they have their own agenda(s) and will be sooky lala for ever about SOS and whatever he does...

total codswallop.

Let’s move on.
you were the one who insisted on holding it back from moving on - a primary source such as MS3 carries pretty good weight around here - this ain't no disco......this is bf........

Stats mean nothing.

Richards looks composed with ball in hand and moves extremely well in traffic.

It's more about the eye test.

Also keep in mind that Richards has been playing both lockdown roles in defense and as a small forward. It may look like he's tracking about the same as O'brien from a statistics perspective, but he's playing in positions where it's harder to accumulate possessions.

Also, the fact that he's playing multiple positions would make it difficult for him to gain continuity. We saw this with Weitering in his second year.
This post reminds me of Moneyball, with all the old blokes sitting around discussing how they 'like the cut of player 1's gib, he's got an alpha personality, he looks good with bat in hand'.

How he looks doesn't change the fact that his input is exceedingly similar statistically, and this being despite the fact that the Dogs were crying out for his player type prior to getting him and they've been better than we have over the last two years, allowing them to feed him more of the ball than Lochie.

Who would you prefer we took. Richards or LOB?
I’d prefer Richards. He’s got more Mongrel in him, amongst other things.
You're shitting me.

He's built like a 14 year old, yet he's throwing himself at the ball carrier and at the ball if he makes a blue without any sense of self preservation, and he's not taken a backward step on a football field in a Carlton jumper.

Keep digging that hole.

The disposal average you posted is also wrong, that's his current season average.

I'd be more inclined to favour current season stats than career averages, given the steep learning curve in the first years. He's improved his average output in a number of areas this year, not sure why you think the stats suggest his down on last year:

Disposals: + 4.1
Clearances: + 1
Score Involvements: + 1.6
Inside 50: +1
One Percenters: + 0.5
Meters Gained: + 60
You want to know someone whose stats are actually down this ?

Ed Richards. Hasn't really come on this year as expected(not that that really means all that much at this stage)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOB has looked out of place at times this year but I'm still confident he will be a great footballer. He's playing in the bottom team and in a defensive winger position. Not an easy job for a second year player built lightly. I see him developing into a Tom Phillips type player which is exactly what we need more of. I like Richards but his ceiling is lower than LOBs. Can't see him improving a great deal more than he currently is. Much more time required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back