Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Richards didn't play in the national championships.

He also had very limited exposure at TAC Cup level in his top age year.

Selection was always going to be more of a risk given his limited exposure against the best in his draft class.

Collingwood were looking at him with pick #6, and Bulldogs may have taken him at #9 if Naughton was off the board.

Sliding to #16 was probably more about circumstances. E.g. Adelaide taking the home grown talent in Darcy Fogarty, Eagles taking KPP's etc.
Who would you prefer we took. Richards or LOB?
I’d prefer Richards. He’s got more Mongrel in him, amongst other things.

Send Mckay to the 2s = Better Mckay
Send Silvagni to the 2s = Better Silvagni
Send Obrien to the 2s = ?????
For godsake send Dow to the 2s

But he's already pretty damn good, lol?

Averaging 18.5 disposals, 3.5 clearances and 5 score involvements as an inside midfielder in his 2nd year, outperforming the other 19-20 year old midfielders drafted in his year fairly easily.

In what looks to be a mediocre draft for midfielders, Dow is carrying that top 10.

But he's already pretty damn good, lol?

Averaging 18.5 disposals, 3.5 clearances and 5 score involvements as an inside midfielder in his 2nd year, outperforming the other 19-20 year old midfielders drafted in his year fairly easily.

In what looks to be a mediocre draft for midfielders, Dow is carrying that top 10.

Your figures are wrong, and I'd hardly say its easily, all seem to be tracking pretty similarly at this stage.
(Bold / Red for best)

Paddy Dow:

Disposals: 18.3
Disposal Efficiency: 65.6
Clearances: 2.8
Score Involvements: 3.8
Tackles: 2.5
Turnovers: 3.2

Andrew Brayshaw:

Disposals: 16.1
Disposal Efficiency: 67.5
Clearances: 1.7
Score Involvements: 3.1
Tackles: 4.2
Turnovers: 3.7

Adam Cerra:

Disposals: 17.3
Disposal Efficiency: 70.1
Clearances: 1.3
Score Involvements: 3.2
Turnovers: 3

Luke Davies-Uniacke:

Disposals: 16.2
Disposal Efficiency: 76.5
Clearances: 1.8
Score Involvements : 3.8
Tackles: 2.7
Turnovers: 2.2

And just because I was curious if we included Sam, he'd have best in disposals, clearances and score involvements:

Sam Walsh:

Disposals: 25
Disposal Efficiency: 68
Clearances: 3.8
Score Involvements : 5.1
Tackles: 2.8
Turnovers: 4.6

Last edited:
Your figures are wrong, and I'd hardly say its easily, all seem to be tracking pretty similarly at this stage.
(Bold / Red for best)

Paddy Dow:

Andrew Brayshaw:

Adam Cerra:

Luke Davies-Uniacke:

And just because I was curious if we included Sam, he'd have best in disposals, clearances and score involvements:

Sam Walsh:

My disposals was slightly off but clearances and score involvements are straight from the AFL app. He's got the others covered fairly easily at this stage.

Who would you prefer we took. Richards or LOB?
I’d prefer Richards. He’s got more Mongrel in him, amongst other things.

I'd still take O'brien. Think we made the right call.

His running power is going to be a real asset for us and he'll flourish once he's built up enough strength to compete after another couple of preseasons.

I think people are enamoured with Richards at the moment because our defenders are dropping like flies. And yes, he would slot into our defense quite nicely, but I'd still take LOB.

Will be a great player and is a good fit for our club.

(Bold / Red for best)

Paddy Dow:

Andrew Brayshaw:

Adam Cerra:

Luke Davies-Uniacke:

Sam Walsh:

I don’t care about the stats. Paddy looks like a 15 year old. He’s improving at a rate of knots. He’s got huge upside ahead. Brayshaw is vanilla. Zero hurt factor. Cerra is a slow receiver. Pass. LDU maybe slightly better than those two for my eyes but lacks anything special. Do the draft again and I would have Dow as the best mid of the kids (Obvs Kelly was in that draft and is a star). Stevo will play a lot more wing in time. Played on ball in the final 6ish games of his under 18 year and killed it and I expect he may do more of that in time.

But Dow is a ripper. People who play him down just don’t get footy in my view.

I'd still take O'brien. Think we made the right call.

His running power is going to be a real asset for us and he'll flourish once he's built up enough strength to compete after another couple of preseasons.

I think people are enamoured with Richards at the moment because our defenders are dropping like flies. And yes, he would slot into our defense quite nicely, but I'd still take LOB.

Will be a great player and is a good fit for our club.
In time two things will improve enormously with LOb in my opinion: physicality and confidence.

Picture him in 4 years at the ripe old age of.....23. He will be afl strong. He will have self belief. Then his running and kicking will be a real weapon.

My disposals was slightly off but clearances and score involvements are straight from the AFL app. He's got the others covered fairly easily at this stage.
Your stats are wrong, you're looking at season averages, not career.
If you actually look at the stats, it's clear as day that he's down on last year by a significant margin.

LOB has shown enough promising signs that there's not much to be worried about at this stage. He'll be a slow burn like Cuningham. He is a good kick but I think some are overstating it, he hasn't shown himself to be elite kick or definite to reach that level at all.

In the games I've seen of Richards I'd take him ahead of LOB no question going forward, he has shown a lot of promise, but there's not a huge discrepancy, nor is it anywhere near a foregone conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you actually look at the stats, it's clear as day that he's down on last year by a significant margin.

How are my stats wrong if I am looking at 2019 data? Why is overall career data more relevant when assessing the growth of a player? Makes no sense.

I am actually looking at the stats, lol. Bold claim that he is down on last year by a significant margin? Tackles, disposal efficiency and turnovers are worse, everything else is improved.

What argument are you trying to make (without insulting my ability to read, pls)?

How are my stats wrong if I am looking at 2019 data? Why is overall career data more relevant when assessing the growth of a player? Makes no sense.

I am actually looking at the stats, lol. Bold claim that he is down on last year by a significant margin? Tackles, disposal efficiency and turnovers are worse, everything else is improved.

What argument are you trying to make (without insulting my ability to read, pls)?
Up late procrastinating? I am this.

The disposal average you posted is also wrong, that's his current season average.

I'd be more inclined to favour current season stats than career averages, given the steep learning curve in the first years. He's improved his average output in a number of areas this year, not sure why you think the stats suggest his down on last year:

Disposals: + 4.1
Clearances: + 1
Score Involvements: + 1.6
Inside 50: +1
One Percenters: + 0.5
Meters Gained: + 60

I don’t care about the stats. Paddy looks like a 15 year old. He’s improving at a rate of knots. He’s got huge upside ahead. Brayshaw is vanilla. Zero hurt factor. Cerra is a slow receiver. Pass. LDU maybe slightly better than those two for my eyes but lacks anything special. Do the draft again and I would have Dow as the best mid of the kids (Obvs Kelly was in that draft and is a star). Stevo will play a lot more wing in time. Played on ball in the final 6ish games of his under 18 year and killed it and I expect he may do more of that in time.

But Dow is a ripper. People who play him down just don’t get footy in my view.

Think you can almost exclude Kelly as a missed opportunity in that year. If he wanted out from the Cats last year, I reckon a bottom placed Blues would never have been able to stop him from going home IMHO.

O'Brien will be fine,
He needs time at the lower level to improve his game sense and to start getting the ball in his hands with a bit more frequency.
He was always going to be a bit more of a slow burn so it's kind of weird that people are shocked that he requires some development.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I meant what I said. I do have it on good authority. I know what good authority in this context is.
And I am also of the firm opinion that Richards is and will be a better player than LOB. In fact I think that is glaringly obvious. But it’s only my opinion.
If Richard’s lateness to the interview was a reason why he was passed over by Carlton at pick 10 then the List Management team erred, big time.
If you don’t agree with me fine. But don’t resort to cheap insults by calling me a troll.
Here's the thing Percy, you're talking about a List Management group that selected a player in the draft who ran away from the police whilst they requested an alcohol test, yet weren't prepared to take on a kid who arrived late to an interview. Here is my thought, I know your suggestion is rubbish.

Here's the thing Percy, you're talking about a List Management group that selected a player in the draft who ran away from the police whilst they requested an alcohol test, yet weren't prepared to take on a kid who arrived late to an interview. Here is my thought, I know your suggestion is rubbish.

Yes but that was only after we told that player to drive around a schoolies location until he was pulled over then refuse a breath test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back