Bluemour Discussion Thread XVI - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to a time when his first option is "I got this" instead of "that guy 15 metres away can have this"...........
Is he over thinking, maybe needs to go on instinct

Reckon it'd be a good task for Fisher and Cunners on rotation.

Caleb Daniel isn't particularly quick, he's just smart with his positioning and doesn't need much space to move the ball to advantage. Zac and Dave should be able to work off him at the stoppages, and stick with him on the rebound to old him up and apply pressure to his disposal.

Nice match ups I like it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is he over thinking, maybe needs to go on instinct

Think he'll be much better now that the team is starting to actually run.

Lots of flat-footed targets earlier this season, usually with an opposition player within arms reach. Reckon he's been looking for good targets, not finding them, then fluffing his kicks. Some of the quick, long handballs into space ahead of players were mesmerising on Saturday, and I suspect we'll get to see Samo back to his damaging best when he's got three or four teammates running into space for him instead of spectating.

No reported injury issues pre-draft.
Came in and was outstanding in his debut year.
Back issues presumably linked with growth?

Plenty of players (typically the taller rangier ones) experience issues with their backs in their early years, it's not uncommon. Very rare that it kills a career, as the issues typically stabilise as they get into their 20s.

Understand not wanting to give SOS a solid tick for Willo until seeing what unfolds, but can hardly call the kid a bust as far as recruitment goes. His first season shows exactly what the club saw in him.
The thing with the likes of Willow is we are getting those types of players with late selections, there is usually some doubts at that stage beyond exposed form. Just how good/bad does he have to be before we give SOS a tick or a cross?

My point is, perhaps we shouldn't be relying on a sparse amount of late draft selections to come good. My impression of SOS is that he's a better talent spotter than he is a list manager; when he had the picks and he's free to choose without the restriction of picking for need, he usually drafts a good player, but he squanders too many opportunities and doesn't have the balance right on when to trade and when to draft. I'm thinking that's club pressure as much as anything, his obsession with his old club notwithstanding. I have my doubts about Brodie, however, when he came to the club things went a bit downhill.

The thing with the likes of Willow is we are getting those types of players with late selections, there is usually some doubts at that stage beyond exposed form. Just how good/bad does he have to be before we give SOS a tick or a cross?

My point is, perhaps we shouldn't be relying on a sparse amount of late draft selections to come good. My impression of SOS is that he's a better talent spotter than he is a list manager; when he had the picks and he's free to choose without the restriction of picking for need, he usually drafts a good player, but he squanders too many opportunities and doesn't have the balance right on when to trade and when to draft. I'm thinking that's club pressure as much as anything, his obsession with his old club notwithstanding. I have my doubts about Brodie, however, when he came to the club things went a bit downhill.

Spot on - surely all you expect from late picks is serviceable role players.

What are your concerns on Brodie? Only came on last year didn't he?

Walsh - big win, right pick, pretty obvious
Stocker - looks a good sort, pick swap hampered by poor team performance this year
Finbar and BSOS - mmmm...BSOS looks a solid late pick project KPP, not sure on Finbar
Goddard - like the pick, don't think we expected Casboult to do what he's done
Bugg - was exactly what we needed, player-wise, disappointing he chose to call time but not sure on what signs might have presented

Setterfield had a piece of play on the weekend where the pickup and handball was so clean and effortless but it shouldn’t have been. Talent is there, his body is not, yet.
100% this.

Rockliff = would have been good. but from all reports - has a personality of a stone. good miss.

FMD . They are there to play AFL football - not marry your daughter. All this overemphasis on personality and " off field issues" is laughable. they can either play or they cant. if they have some mongrel in them and that allows them to get the best out of themselves - so be it.
One of our best players of all time- Doull....How good was his personality?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, I am pretty sure that G.Whitlam was the visionary that purchased that painting when he was P.M. and was accused of wasting taxpayers $$$ on a creation by some guy named Sidney Pollock............opps!!!

pity he wasnt visionary enough to see that borrowing funds illegally through a Pakistani banker, would lead to his downfall

No reported injury issues pre-draft.
Came in and was outstanding in his debut year.
Back issues presumably linked with growth?

Plenty of players (typically the taller rangier ones) experience issues with their backs in their early years, it's not uncommon. Very rare that it kills a career, as the issues typically stabilise as they get into their 20s.

Understand not wanting to give SOS a solid tick for Willo until seeing what unfolds, but can hardly call the kid a bust as far as recruitment goes. His first season shows exactly what the club saw in him.

Willo has been managing a back issue and crohnes disease since pre draft days

FMD . They are there to play AFL football - not marry your daughter. All this overemphasis on personality and " off field issues" is laughable. they can either play or they cant. if they have some mongrel in them and that allows them to get the best out of themselves - so be it.
One of our best players of all time- Doull....How good was his personality?
there's quiet and there's *******ism..........

Spot on. Some of his handballs are Cripps like.
Will be a fine player once his body is built up and he gains more experiance.
Just need to make sure his intensity is where it needs to be.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Correct. Needs to add 5kg and work on his burst running like cripps did. His uncontested possession count already suggests a decent aerobic capacity.

Correct. Needs to add 5kg and work on his burst running like cripps did. His uncontested possession count already suggests a decent aerobic capacity.

Got something like 14.5 in the beep test at the draft combine IIRC which is very good endurance.

Re-reading his draft profile, he had injury issues throughout his junior career as well, so it's not just the ACL he suffered.
He hasn't been able to get a good run with injuries and play lots of footy over an extended period.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-10-31/draft-prospect-will-setterfield

Interesting no other media has mentioned anything about SOS leaving. It would be big news and why would the Age and the Herald Sun let Foxfooty get all the clicks and attention?

Interesting no other media has mentioned anything about SOS leaving. It would be big news and why would the Age and the Herald Sun let Foxfooty get all the clicks and attention?
That's because he's not.
What is actually interesting is how much mileage dopey rumours get. Over and over again it happens.

Spot on - surely all you expect from late picks is serviceable role players.

What are your concerns on Brodie? Only came on last year didn't he?

Walsh - big win, right pick, pretty obvious
Stocker - looks a good sort, pick swap hampered by poor team performance this year
Finbar and BSOS - mmmm...BSOS looks a solid late pick project KPP, not sure on Finbar
Goddard - like the pick, don't think we expected Casboult to do what he's done
Bugg - was exactly what we needed, player-wise, disappointing he chose to call time but not sure on what signs might have presented
What I meant with Williamson is that maybe the reason people seem to be judging him from the perspective of being a higher pick is because of the feeling of us being a little bereft of that type of player in recent drafts; it's neither criticism nor agreement on my part.

Anyway, Brodie has been here for two drafts, hasn't he? We just seem to have drafted players with less 'upside' since then. I liked the Goddard pick but couldn't we have put him on as a delisted free agent without having to draft him? What we do with finalising the final positions on our list confuses me and I get the niggling feeling like we skip a beat or two; Jimmae may be up on that kind of thing and could possibly elaborate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back