Bluemour Discussion Thread XVI - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPS does need to lift, goes missing far too often. The glimpses we get of how good he could be make this all the more frustrating.

Seems to me the opposition are getting their hands on his short kicks more than the average, which would mean to me the opposition are confident in which option he’s going for which is generally little dinky 15-30 metre passes.

I’d like him to start broadening his scope for possessions, he has beautiful kicking skills generally so I’d like to see him kick more 30-50 metre passes to balance it up a bit more.

Personally think he’ll be a wonderful inside option across a long career but I just think he’s far too easy to read at the moment

Think he'll be much better now that the team is starting to actually run.

Lots of flat-footed targets earlier this season, usually with an opposition player within arms reach. Reckon he's been looking for good targets, not finding them, then fluffing his kicks. Some of the quick, long handballs into space ahead of players were mesmerising on Saturday, and I suspect we'll get to see Samo back to his damaging best when he's got three or four teammates running into space for him instead of spectating.
Spot on...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to Rookie Gibbs on minimum wage he can nominate for pre-season draft

What I meant with Williamson is that maybe the reason people seem to be judging him from the perspective of being a higher pick is because of the feeling of us being a little bereft of that type of player in recent drafts; it's neither criticism nor agreement on my part.

Anyway, Brodie has been here for two drafts, hasn't he? We just seem to have drafted players with less 'upside' since then. I liked the Goddard pick but couldn't we have put him on as a delisted free agent without having to draft him? What we do with finalising the final positions on our list confuses me and I get the niggling feeling like we skip a beat or two; Jimmae may be up on that kind of thing and could possibly elaborate.

Better to have him on a rookie list than the main list.

We missed because we weren't prepared to hand over what was being asked - and nor should we have.

If (when) Essendon don't make the finals, they'll likely be rueing handing over two picks inside the top 10 for Shiel. Huge cost.
That’s not actually true - we missed Shiel because he chose *. We were ready to deal with GWS if it all fell through

BS.jpg

What an articulate response!

Like the rumours.

In all the names you've mentioned, I'm surprised there isn't one with running power and speed.

All great players in their own right, but I still think our greatest need is for small forwards and running defenders.

I assume what I was told represents about 1/10th of our list management teams actual plans. If they are doing it right there should be 20+ potential trades/moves on the board right now.

If I had to bet, I think we will get Brodie just because I have heard it from multiple sources. Everything else is up in the air.

I re-read your post - none of that was mentioned :p

Not criticising, when we get rumours like this posted the easiest way to qualify the likelihood of them being accurate is a simple fact-check of the requisite moving parts - trading a future first and second was an immediate alarm bell.

Can certainly appreciate that we'd have an in-principle agreement with someone like Brodie, and that our preferred price would be a second plus a player. Can also appreciate that Brodie might have to be disappointed if someone like Bont became available.

I do have my doubts that a trade price would have been hashed out as yet, given we're only at the mid-point of the season and neither club knows where any given picks are going to land or who else might be available. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely that a club like GC would be offering much in the way of trade assurances at this point in time, especially for a young player who only just came back into their senior side and racked up 29 touches in the middle.

So I'm going to choose to interpret this one as "Carlton have been in discussion with Will Brodie's agent, and are keen to explore a trade at the end of the year. Carlton are likely to offer up a future second and a surplus senior player - Casboult is a potential candidate given Jones will come back and Goddard is building nicely in the VFL. Carlton has also enquired as to the availability of Marcus Bontempelli, and haven't been rebuffed by his agent. Should he be open to a move to Carlton, that deal would take precedence over all others."

Again - not going as far as to disqualify the info you've shared, just trying to establish a more realistic (to my mind) scenario.

Sorry I should have been clearer. We have no agreement in place with GC or WB. At this time of year it is simply discussions with managers, who indicate what their charges are thinking. In terms of cost, what I said is what the CFC/manager think is a reasonable scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back