Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If all plans fall in place, we're in for a massive trade period"

Carlton official

Happy to pm a mod but I cannot say who told me on here

If all plans fall in place?

I would've thought every club would feel that way during trade period.

Can you mention any specific plans or are they already covered in here?

Is Ross coming to the blues as an assistant ?

Let's see how many dislikes this gets

I think he will look good in navy blue.

I need a more recent profile picture

To be fair, that is one of the most BS decisions when it comes to compo picks I think ever. Don't forget Melbourne got pick 2 after Frawley left.

Not as BS as the fact nearly every free agent has gone to a top 8 side.

To be fair, that is one of the most BS decisions when it comes to compo picks I think ever. Don't forget Melbourne got pick 2 after Frawley left.

As the highest level of compensation, the pick is set to be directly after the club's 1st round pick. Hawks won a flag. Demons finished in the doldrums. That was the difference.

It wasn't an 'end of 1st round pick', it was a 1st rounder, it's just that the Hawks won the flag that year.
And Dees finished 17th when Frawley left so they got pick #3

It will be next to their first round pick, so if they finish with the 14th pick, they'll get 15 for Coniglio

Yeah, pretty simple, Band 1 compo is immediately after their first round pick.

Unless the AFL wants to use their disretionary powers to move it higher - but I can't see any world in which the other clubs/fans/media let them get away with that.

It wasn't an 'end of 1st round pick', it was a 1st rounder, it's just that the Hawks won the flag that year.
And Dees finished 17th when Frawley left so they got pick #3

Yeah sorry I'm a big dum dum and forgot how it works, my Hawks roommate always complains about it so I need to stop listening to him haha.

Go have a look at the draft pool, and tell me there are no kids who will have an immediate impact for us, or very quickly. Jeremy Sharp is one who stands out as suiting our needs, though he might take a year depending on how he handles the pre-season.

No. That he is performing now reflects that their forward line is still largely built around him, probably through his own learnings of how Adelaide setup their forward structure for Betts. A lot of his output should dry up in September, though I will acknowledge that Brisbane's midfield potential far exceeds that of Adelaide's current setup (and you'd hope so given the picks thrown at it).

Essendon must be looking at McCluggage and crying into their pillow (exactly as many of us predicted).

But if I'm building my forward system around someone, I'd really hope they're kicking at least 2 a game on average. Next best is Hipwood on 31.

Strongly disagree. Players like Papley are worth an early second at the absolute most, maybe a shade more if they have serious pace and consistency. Why would you still be saying this after the McGovern trade?

We're in no rush to overpay, particularly if Conigilio comes to us.

Appreciate this, but football officials say this every year, at every club.

The egotism is huge in this industry, so much so that every year I'm surprised a singularity doesn't form inside Marvel every October and sucks the entire city into its vortex, or at least that awful stadium.

I'd be pouring back through years of posts, literally thousands. Find the draft and phantom draft threads for this sub-forum, then use the new search features to search the thread for my comments. If you want to point at a specific draft, I'm happy to discuss that in the List Management thread.

you think papley is worth an early second at most?

Either you don't watch him or your valuations of trades are pretty far off.

We wouldn't just be paying for the talent he provides, we'd be paying for:

a. His age (24 next year)

b. His importance to Sydney (23 and in the leadership group already)

c. He is in a position of dire need, so Sydney know that we'll overpay if we have to.

The notion that draft picks are an absolute currency shits me beyond words.
It's a barter system where value is relative rather than absolute.

It's a akin to suggesting that he's worth pick 20 but not pick 16... utter tosh as if you are negotiating for an oven at the Good Guys

Papley is worth whatever the Swans ask for and a suitor is willing to pay... this will be relative to, and informed by; the needs of buyer and seller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Browne in July

His pay out will be on base salary for someone of his experience, a healthy $600,000 not 1 mill. Fremantle & WCE are pretty flush for funds as they are still governed by WAFC, if they have to pay out a coach, they will.

Brown also claimed last night, Carlton have offered Cogs 1.8mill to come across, did not say front ended, I wondered where he gets his numbers from?

It's got nothing to do with players unless they match our offer. From what your hear about their salary cap, they won't be able to match
That's another thing I suspect is going through the Rabbits mind, Our offer is huge and too good to refuse. if he forces their hand to match it he will hamstring the club and he knows it will result in delistings or reduction in pay for some of the important but, lesser likes', on their list. This doesn't bode well for team harmony morale etc. this will be playing on him and i believe there is a substantial difference in contract value between them and us.

The fact that we are showing mass improvement and potential at the moment is also a big consideration. We are sitting back with a royal flush in our hand and waiting for someone to call or bluff. :D :grin:. Dawks aren't in the play. Its $$$$+ big club on the rise V Loyalty.

That's another thing I suspect is going through the Rabbits mind, Our offer is huge and too good to refuse. if he forces their hand to match it he will hamstring the club and he knows it will result in delistings or reduction in pay for some of the important but, lesser likes', on their list. This doesn't bode well for team harmony morale etc. this will be playing on him and i believe there is a substantial difference in contract value between them and us.

The fact that we are showing mass improvement and potential at the moment is also a big consideration. We are sitting back with a royal flush in our hand and waiting for someone to call or bluff. :D :grin:. Dawks aren't in the play. Its $$$$+ big club on the rise V Loyalty.

Not saying the Hawks are ahead of us or GWS, but he's best mates with Jaeger and there's always the Clarko factor, so there isn't no reason for him to go there.

Because it's us I won't be suprised if the AFL let GWS match our offer and put some of his pay out of the cap as a "Game ambassador" to keep him up there.

I have no info, it just wouldn't suprise me.

A key aspect of Shiel’s decision was reportedly establishing some links for a future property investment career, likewise Judd’s selection of Carlton was apparently heavily influenced by a potentially strong connection to the then President. Is a connection to key business interests (and the Blues) beyond footy likely to influence Coniglio?

A key aspect of Shiel’s decision was reportedly establishing some links for a future property investment career, likewise Judd’s selection of Carlton was apparently heavily influenced by a potentially strong connection to the then President. Is a connection to key business interests (and the Blues) beyond footy likely to influence Coniglio?

We can offer him a job at Barkly Smokehouse once he retires.

Not saying the Hawks are ahead of us or GWS, but he's best mates with Jaeger and there's always the Clarko factor, so there isn't no reason for him to go there.
A lot less reason for him to go to Hawks than come to Blues. Hawks are on the slide and would need Cogs, Patton, a KPD and a fun small forward to be a contender. Cogs and Patton put salary cap squeeze on so they would really only be making up numbers in the 8 at best. They need a couple of years near the bottom to regenerate with picks. But Clarko has too much ego to bottom out... Same problem all great coaches fail to overcome after a dynasty. They just think they can keep wining. But they forget that they need the talent to get there.

The notion that draft picks are an absolute currency s**ts me beyond words.
It's a barter system where value is relative rather than absolute.

It's a akin to suggesting that he's worth pick 20 but not pick 16... utter tosh as if you are negotiating for an oven at the Good Guys

Papley is worth whatever the Swans ask for and a suitor is willing to pay... this will be relative to, and informed by; the needs of buyer and seller.

Yes and what the Swans ask for and what us as the suitor will be willing to pay, will be far more than an early 2nd rounder.

Because it's us I won't be suprised if the AFL let GWS match our offer and put some of his pay out of the cap as a "Game ambassador" to keep him up there.

I have no info, it just wouldn't suprise me.

Doubt Coniglio will stay at GWS - if AFL top up his payment to match Carlton - that would be a very high profile case of interfering....

I reckon GWS's problem isn't player retention - it is their coach, been obvious for a couple of years that Cameron hasn't been able to get anywhere near the best out of the mountain of talent he has at his disposal. Coniglio not signing yet - means (to me) he is gone OR is waiting on something to happen at GWS.

As for where he might end up - I think that Clarkson continues to be a big drawcard to certain types of players who may be looking to play at a continually successful Club...O'Meara/Mitchell/Scully/Wingard - these are all A graders re-populating and rejuvenating Hawforn's supposedly dead list in record time.

In this regard with no information at ll to call on but looking at the equation from a player's perspective - Teague isn't Clarkson as far as coaching gravitas goes and unless Hawforn's dollars are ridiculously lower than Carlton's - chances are the rabbit ends up at Hawforn - similar logic to why Shiel chose EssenDONE last year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back