Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
He has no AFL attributes.

Whoever recruited him thought they were pulling a late-draft injured gem, but it didn't work, which is fine. But they should have acknowledged it earlier and cut losses.
I think one of, if not the most important attributes to be a good footy player is footy IQ and smarts. You might not have the perfect physique, but you learn how to use what you have. Composure under pressure is a highly related trait...of which Polson has none, unfortunately.

I think one of, if not the most important attributes to be a good footy player is footy IQ and smarts. You might not have the perfect physique, but you learn how to use what you have. Composure under pressure is a highly related trait...of which Polson has none, unfortunately.

a6e564232d709cce60cba55b30b4ef4f272216a9

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
These rumours relating to SOS not prepared to renegotiate Jack Martin's contract are starting to alarm me. Wasnt it the same SOS whose offer to Saad was substantially inferior to Essendon steering him their way. You can safely say he stuffed up on those negotiations. I go back to T Mitchell. One of the reasons we weren't into him was his asking price. Another miscalculation?. Not sure but didnt Essendon also outbid us for Devon Smith? Who determines the size of the contract offer, SOS Lloyd or Agresta?

Dirk
You really think that not getting shiel for the trade cost and $ cost was a stuff up?

Let it play out and trust those involved. Not everything that you hear on this forum is 100% true.

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
To sticks- has he forgiven himself for missing everything in a kick after the siren against * in round 2 1993? I haven’t. All we needed was a point to win.
To diesel- how many years before Sam Walsh tears opposing teams the proverbial new one?

You can't ask Sticks that. Disrespectful.

You really think that not getting shiel for the trade cost and $ cost was a stuff up?

Let it play out and trust those involved. Not everything that you hear on this forum is 100% true.
wut?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If money is the factor..off to the bulldogs but hopefully the direction the club is going might sway our way.

How much is the difference i wonder...

Let's be honest the Bulldogs' future looks bright, playing finals with a young core of players and an attractive brand of footy...plus offering more money. It's an enticing offer and certainly wouldn't begrudge him for taking it.

Wonder why he prefers us anyway.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure Martin is solely after money. He was very well paid at GC. I reckon he's after a positive supportive environment in which to grow further and achieve some success. I think we'll be very enticing.

He can get all that at the Dogs...they are playing finals and a relatively young team. Plus more money...

Let's be honest the Bulldogs' future looks bright, playing finals with a young core of players and an attractive brand of footy...plus offering more money. It's an enticing offer and certainly wouldn't begrudge him for taking it.

Wonder why he prefers us anyway.
Really? I think our future looks dazzling.:blacksunrays: Great location, history, admin, coaching, rehab and support staff, 1st class facilities and THE most promising spine in the AFL. Poised for long term success.
Apart from that though
Yeah. Whywouldya. :p

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Ham United
I am struggling to see the angst that we will not up our offer to Martin to 700,000 or whatever the dogs are offering.

He has had 6 years and has done
very little. Butler from the Tigers has more runs on the board for what we need in a small forward and will cost half as much salary and problem a quarter as much in a trade.

I know he was the greatest hyped junior but he has not delivered.

I think your comment reveals the basic tension with the mid-season draft. Everything you say makes perfect sense if the draft is seen as an opportunity to make a long-term selection, as the end of year drafts have always been. However, the whole purpose of the mid-season draft (according to the AFL) is short-term -- it's a chance to top up on a position where you've had an unexpected run of injuries or whatever. In essence the AFL wants this to be a different kind of draft to all the other drafts we're used to.

Each club then has a decision: will it make a long-term selection like it would at any other draft, or a short-term selection like the AFL wants it to? This year for better or worse we apparently opted for the short-term approach. Was that an 'absolutely stupid move'? Maybe, maybe not, but I think it's understandable given our win-loss position at the time.

That said, I think clubs that don't have immediate needs at mid-season draft time (and even some that do) will increasingly take the long-term view and use their selection as you describe, thus defeating the purpose of the mid-season draft... at which point the AFL will have to face the fact that once again they've introduced a change without properly thinking through how clubs will adapt to it over time.

All fair and reasoned points hatman.👍

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm with SOS, no romance please, not even if he sings hard to say I'm sorry by Chicago

Honestly recruiting Betts at his age seems really quite silly from a LM POV given where we're at...obviously what SOS is thinking.

We should be getting younger small forwards who can slot into the team and grow with it.

If Betts wants to be a Blue so bad, he can come as some kind of development coach.

Stiffler's Dad

Premium Platinum
Oct 8, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
I think he’s shown more in that small forward role than Polson did and even in the 3 VFL games he had, he again showed more in the middle of the ground than Polson did in the VFL. I would hate for that extra year on Polson’s contract to be the deciding factor in cutting Deluca, as it should be a strait forward decision to keep Deluca over him.

With all due respect to Polson as a human being.
If there was a remove Polson from the list button, I'd be bashing the living hell out of it right now. 🔨

Benaly28

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly recruiting Betts at his age seems really quite silly from a LM POV given where we're at...obviously what SOS is thinking.

We should be getting younger small forwards who can slot into the team and grow with it.

If Betts wants to be a Blue so bad, he can come as some kind of development coach.
Yep Luke Hodge for the lions has been an absolute disaster.....what were they thinking.

90% of our list isnt fast, probably more actually.

LOB, Cunningham, Polson are probs the only ones I'd consider to have any kind of speed. Harry when he gets in stride.
Ok I guess I've been lazy with my response. What I should have said, not fast enough to make a big difference or make up for the fact that he is poor in almost every other area.

blue_trinity

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I am struggling to see the angst that we will not up our offer to Martin to 700,000 or whatever the dogs are offering.

He has had 6 years and has done
very little. Butler from the Tigers has more runs on the board for what we need in a small forward and will cost half as much salary and problem a quarter as much in a trade.

I know he was the greatest hyped junior but he has not delivered.
There’s a reason he was the greatest hyped junior, and there’s a reason that he has not delivered, and that reason isn’t because his talent decided to just up and fly away.

Could be every bit as good as Whitfield off a the hb/wing and I think that’s the role we’re recruiting him to play.

Could be a massive piece of our puzzle. People have clearly forgotten just how good his best can be.

Stiffler's Dad

Premium Platinum
Oct 8, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
These rumours relating to SOS not prepared to renegotiate Jack Martin's contract are starting to alarm me. Wasnt it the same SOS whose offer to Saad was substantially inferior to Essendon steering him their way. You can safely say he stuffed up on those negotiations. I go back to T Mitchell. One of the reasons we weren't into him was his asking price. Another miscalculation?. Not sure but didnt Essendon also outbid us for Devon Smith? Who determines the size of the contract offer, SOS Lloyd or Agresta?

Dirk
Dirk Diggler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back