Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prem17

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Please you get a yearly contract with an outside medical company, fixed fee then you get as many as you want. You aren’t talking massive dollars.

Why wouldn’t you talk to and medical test even the remote possibility so you are ready just incase come Trade week? Even if it’s the most unlikely outcome, things happen fast we’ve seen it before and most players are off on end of season trips come trade time, so why not take the opportunity to line up as many ducks and have as much information as possible
Call it business sense or whatever but I would only medical test the shortlisted candidates.
You know, just like any other business.
Dunno about you but I've never done a medical for a company I wasn't shortlisted for ;)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sydney can nick off regarding Marchbank, if they put too high price on Papley, then walk away and shop elsewhere.

Rory Laird being spoken about today, he is exactly what we need, I would easily move on from Paps if we got Laird, we could then use a letter pick for Butler and bring in Betts as a stop gap. Our needs would be met.

You don’t build a list of young talented kids, only to trade them when they hit their prime and get experience. If we are desperate for trade capital, then you trade the soon to be 30 year old, coming off his best year.

Buy low sell high (CAS)
Or
Buy high, sell low ( Marchbank)

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Pyke discussion belongs in this thread ...

Don't clog up the Bluemour thread.

Thanks all!

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Her boyfriend used to play at the same club with him last year is my guess?

But this is on her instagram, seems more than that.. no?

Untitled.png

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Where are these abundance of key defenders we have?

Jones? Has spent large chunks of the last 2 seasons, injured
Weits? Has missed a few games, each year.
Doc? Missed the last 2 seasons
Goddard? Seriously, has shown nothing, yet.
BSOS? Hasn’t shown anything to suggest he is AFL quality.
CAS? He is 30 next year and his biggest asset to the team is a back up ruck and back up forward and back up, backman
Plowman? Is not a key defender.
Macreadie? Constantly injured, has gone backwards.

This talk that we have a heap of key defenders is hogwash, just because someone is tall, doesn’t make them any good.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hawks - Buddy
Richmond - Yarran
Deledio
Cats - Gary Ablett, Jr

Not sure if you are having a joke here Zeggie.

Buddy won 2 flags at the Hawks
Ablett won 2 flags at the Cats
Yarran, was moved on due to personal issues and never played a game at the Tigers

Lids, fair call

Moving on talent that is surplus to requirements and cashing in after you’re successful is different to pushing kids out the door before we have made finals.

FWIW

Buddy left Hawks, wasn’t traded
Gaz left the Cats of his own will.

I’m talking about pushing kids out, trading talented youth.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Where are these abundance of key defenders we have?

Jones? Has spent large chunks of the last 2 seasons, injured
Weits? Has missed a few games, each year.
Doc? Missed the last 2 seasons
Goddard? Seriously, has shown nothing, yet.
BSOS? Hasn’t shown anything to suggest he is AFL quality.
CAS? He is 30 next year and his biggest asset to the team is a back up ruck and back up forward and back up, backman
Plowman? Is not a key defender.
Macreadie? Constantly injured, has gone backwards.

This talk that we have a heap of key defenders is hogwash, just because someone is tall, doesn’t make them any good.
I know! On multiple times we went into games without a KPD - I think it was the saints game

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree Laird, if so wanting out, would be exactly what we need as well.
But whether it’s true, a Pyke thing or Geelong initiated is yet to be seen.

To add Laird, Papley, Martin, D. Cameron (filler) we’d just be without a high quality midfield acquisition for the off-season.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Hawks - Buddy (Had already won a flag with Hawks by then, and offered 'once in a lifetime' deal)
Richmond - Yarran (Was let go with no trade due to Mental Health)
Deledio (Body was very Broken at that stage)
Cats - Gary Ablett, Jr (Had won Flags by then, and offered 'once in a lifetime' deal)
In short - the 2 marquee players had already won flags and their clubs probably needed the cap space, and the other 2 were cooked.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I don't think it's too hard to see what the inclusion of Martin & Papley may bring about.
Our best team may look something like this -

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank.......Newman or Williamson may take over from Simpson as the year wears on.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Walsh Setterfield SPS

Cuningham CCurnow Martin
Papley McKay McGovern...............Looks to be our most dangerous forward line on face value.

ECurnow Fisher Dow....................JSilvagni, Gibbons, O'Brien, Kennedy etc etc

Clearly, our best midfield will be decided through the pre-season and some 'names' may have to miss early on.
McKay may have to take up some ruck duties. Bad luck if he doesn't like rucking.
Doesn't leave any room for Eddie though.
Are our small forwards and backs stocks covered properly in this scenario? Paps is only one man.

Have to admit it would be the best list we have put on the park in about 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back