Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was one of the melts. I was pissed with how the night went. Still a bit bemused to be honest. It is reassuring to hear how SOS handled himself last night.
I really hope we do get Martin in the PSD but I will believe it when I see it.
What I don't understand is why when we knew 48 hours out that Essendon weren't dealing Daniher and therefore Sydney not dealing Papley did we continue to hold out hope. We still had 2 days to offer pick 9 and next year's 1st to offer for Wines.
I am still bloody excited about our prospects for next year. Hoping for a good run with injuries and see where this group can go. If we had've got Papley I believe we would have played finals. I still think we are a chance but more likely 10-12

As SOS said in various interviews, there was no indication from Port that they were even willing to consider trading Wines. He (via his manager) might have been attempting to sound out clubs and options, but if Port weren't going to come to the party - or if they did, their demands were going to be absurd - what's the point of even discussing it?

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

(Keen to get Daniher but not enough to throw everything at Essendon, Sydney floated the idea of Papley – a 23-year-old who kicked 37 goals in 2019 – heading to the Bombers.)

So Sydney shop our pick 9 that we are offering up for Papley and then go and then float the idea of sending Papley to the bombers, wtf?

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFl will be very worried about their brand here. They are not going to want to inflame the Indigenous community who would rightly be outraged that a young player was being treated so poorly. He asks for a trade two years running. The second year he’s not contracted and it’s refused. An offer equivalent to pick 13-16 is rejected. It’s rejected purely (by their own admission) due to the draft hand gifted to them by the AFL. Therefore the AFl are complicit in affecting this boy’s situation. It would be an outrage in his community if he subsequently is forced BACK to an environment he finds not supportive. When one that he thinks WILL BE was quite reasonable in its offer.

I expect the AFL to see this. I expect the Commission to become very concerned about this should Gold Coast continue to make noise about it. I expect them to be strongly encouraged to shut up. I expect Josh Mahoney (Melbourne) to make professional enquires ans then walk a mile away from it.
Its no just about the Indigenous player or the community. The fact is that a young man has given 6 years of service, he is out of contract and within his rights asked for a trade (second year running), a clear indication he doesn't not want to be there.

According to all it is common knowledge that the offer was fair and reasonable. So why did they refuse to trade, Are they that low on IQ that they are instructed to toughen up that they just selected this player and this club to make a statement without any consideration to the players wants, needs etc.

What a brilliant management Decision. Oh Ho wants us to get tough, "who is our highest profile trade at the moment? Martin and Carlton, Okay lets show them we mean business".

FMD!! Commitment to an AFL team and What goes with it is hard enough as it literally robs some players of their youth. As much as they are prepared to handle the rigors at junior level not everyone is the same and then we wonder why we have so many players with mental health issues. You are at the club 24/7 every move and action is scrutinized. So if you are going to be spending the best years of your life in this type of environment you need to have a chance to experience a different organisation if you have paid your dues.

Had SOS done a DODORO then then the suns would be within their right to tell him to GAGF and refuse the trade. The deal was fair and now they Look like the D#@kheads that they are,

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If one of my managers went public with dribble like that it would result in instant dismissal as it would imply my organisation is run by a lunatic that has no business sense or basic management skills. if he strongly believes and feels like he indicates in that article then it should stay inside their boardroom walls. #amatuerhour BIG TIME. The imbecile has brought his club back years in regards to player retention and building a future destination club.

If the AFL is a professionally run organisation regardless of whether they asked them to make a stand or not they should drag him over the coals if not sack him.
Well said Ho.

The AFl will be very worried about their brand here. They are not going to want to inflame the Indigenous community who would rightly be outraged that a young player was being treated so poorly. He asks for a trade two years running. The second year he’s not contracted and it’s refused. An offer equivalent to pick 13-16 is rejected. It’s rejected purely (by their own admission) due to the draft hand gifted to them by the AFL. Therefore the AFl are complicit in affecting this boy’s situation. It would be an outrage in his community if he subsequently is forced BACK to an environment he finds not supportive. When one that he thinks WILL BE was quite reasonable in its offer.

I expect the AFL to see this. I expect the Commission to become very concerned about this should Gold Coast continue to make noise about it. I expect them to be strongly encouraged to shut up. I expect Josh Mahoney (Melbourne) to make professional enquires ans then walk a mile away from it.
please stop drinking and posting - you make more of an issue for the indigenous community using the term 'boy' than anything gc may have done.......

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

(Keen to get Daniher but not enough to throw everything at Essendon, Sydney floated the idea of Papley – a 23-year-old who kicked 37 goals in 2019 – heading to the Bombers.)

So Sydney shop our pick 9 that we are offering up for Papley and then go and then float the idea of sending Papley to the bombers, wtf?
Don’t think Syd offering Paps to Essendon has reached its conclusion yet. I can see a scenario unfold, end of 2020, in which JD exercises his right to go to Syd, and Essendon threatening to match his asking price; leading to Dangerfield like trade involving pick/s, and Papley, to Essendon.

ctwenty1

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t think Syd offering Paps to Essendon has reached its conclusion yet. I can see a scenario unfold, end of 2020, in which JD exercises his right to go to Syd, and Essendon threatening to match his asking price; leading to Dangerfield like trade involving pick/s, and Papley, to Essendon.
Except Papley might tell * and swans to GAGF

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
On splitting pick 9.

It wold probably be something like.

Pick 9 + our future 2nd for x team's future first and their current 2nd round + some sort of pick upgrade.

So we move from the top 10 to the mid 20's, do what is likely the reverse next year plus an upgrade in the third/fourth this year.

Next year have two first rounders to trade for targets.

We would have up to three tradeable first rounders. (2 x 2020 & 1 x 2021) as we used 2 first round picks in 2018.
2nd rounders for both years.

Pretty strong hand

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

It’s the real criticisms of Silvagni in this period. We allowed Sydney an option on #9, which really means Dodoro in this case.

And... is it any surprise that Scot Lucas would push the Papley to * approach.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
What?? So, let's say Melb drafted him, but can't negotiate $1m? How would arbitration work? That's unfair on Melb. As they could have got someone else instead
It’s fair. They are signing up to that. The Arbitration makes a judgement on value based on fair evidence. Just like a court. Courts are fair. Arbitration is fair. If you don’t want to enter something that has a possibility of ending that way....don’t take him.

Last edited:

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not sure where this idea to trade our pick 9 for next years picks has come from. 20 of the top 40 are linked to academy’s so if say we finish 8th that essentially means 28 of the top 40 will be gone if no bids are in those 1st 8 picks. It’s not really that valuable a trade asset.

Would rather take a kid this year and get a year into him.
Kemp and Stephens are the 2 id be looking at who should be around our pick

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not sure where this idea to trade our pick 9 for next years picks has come from. 20 of the top 40 are linked to academy’s so if say we finish 8th that essentially means 28 of the top 40 will be gone if no bids are in those 1st 8 picks. It’s not really that valuable a trade asset.

Would rather take a kid this year and get a year into him.
Kemp and Stephens are the 2 id be looking at who should be around our pick

It’s valuable because there will be a few teams trying to trade up next year to get in before bids, and we are after established players. Having two first rounders plus a 2021 first means wed have plenty of currency to do deals.

Not interested in drafting next year, but am interested in taking advantage of clubs who are.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s the real criticisms of Silvagni in this period. We allowed Sydney an option on #9, which really means Dodoro in this case.

And... is it any surprise that Scot Lucas would push the Papley to * approach.
Swapping of two contracted players - it was the obvious option which Papleys manager had an obligation to explore, irrespective of Lucas background.

His player doesn’t like living in Sydney and wanted to come back to Victoria preferably Carlton, but I think he would of accepted Essendon if it meant not living in Sydney for the next 3 years.

Not a fan of Jack Newnes I am afraid, been a real whipping boy of the Saints fanbase over the years.

Would much prefer if we could pick up Riley Knight as a DFA, if we can.
What's the knock on Newnes?

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Live feed was a waste of time.

Literally just a room with 3 people sitting at a table, waiting to sign off on deals presented by club list managers. 2-3 people walk into the room with sheets of paper, sit down, they spend 2-3 mins checking off details and then shake hands and leave. No audio, nothing remotely interesting about it.

Yeah agree just found it funny they kept referring to it and not showing it, you could tell they were watching it while telling us what was going on. cringeworthy tv

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I tell you what, SOS can thank his lucky ******* stars with this PSD stuff!

There's absolutely no way SOS considered Martin didn't want to play again for Gold Coast and that Martin would be willing to tell Melbourne he wasn't interested in playing for them....

It's not like SOS would have been in regular contact with Martin and his manager over the last week....

:cool:

This line is just in case anyone didn't realise I was being sarcastic.

Hahaha, exactly..........when we get Martin all those complaining will be saying we got lucky, SOS never thought of the PSD until aferwards

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Last night I was one of the melts. I was pissed with how the night went. Still a bit bemused to be honest. It is reassuring to hear how SOS handled himself last night.
I really hope we do get Martin in the PSD but I will believe it when I see it.
What I don't understand is why when we knew 48 hours out that Essendon weren't dealing Daniher and therefore Sydney not dealing Papley did we continue to hold out hope. We still had 2 days to offer pick 9 and next year's 1st to offer for Wines.
I am still bloody excited about our prospects for next year. Hoping for a good run with injuries and see where this group can go. If we had've got Papley I believe we would have played finals. I still think we are a chance but more likely 10-12

Wines wasn't up for trade

SOS was hoping Dodoro would budge and as they had no other interest in others, why not wait and see

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah and? They wanted Daniher, why not include a player who wanted to leave to get the job done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back