Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not do it unless they offer 15+20+Martin delisted so we can sign him as a DFA and not have to "risk" him in any draft, for picks 9+43 or a future 2nd rounder or similar...........if they want it, make em pay for stuffing us around at the trades........!!! :devil:

If the picks don’t mean much to them we could always ask for 15 this year and 2 seconds next year. Next years 2nd picks will be valuable

Anyone know why * may have traded our Andrew Phillips rather than pitonett?
Phillips more experienced.... Older and you kind of know what you getting.
If they rate Draper which I assume they do for long term, a back up ruck or replacement for Bellchambers in short term would suit their needs for two years than a younger unknown entity at senior level in Pittonet. But for us I probably happier with how it turning out for us as we know Phillips is handy back up but never really what we want long term in a number one ruck. Happy to explore younger Pittonet whom seems very hungry to learn to become a senior ruck soon.
Loved the interview I heard on radio of him. Sounds a great down to earth character that would suit age of our other players right now and into next decade.

Would take gold coast’s picks 15 and 20 in exchange for ours. We need greater depth
I don't really rate the depth in this year's draft, I'd prefer to try and get a star with the top ten pick. In plenty of previous years I'd do that trade though, it's a good suggestion.

Will he? As bullish as I was about Phillips in his 1st season at our club, I've seen very little since to suggest that he was ever going to be anything more than a 'break glass in case of fire' option at AFL level. His tap work at times is good, but he is limited in footy smarts which results in him ending up in no man's land more often than not.

I haven't seen enough of Pittonet to do a direct comparison with Phillips, but his output at VFL level, as per his standings in the Box Hill B&F & JJ Liston Trophy, would suggest he has more runs on the board at VFL level than Phillips.
He will - Phillips has played a role at AFL level, albeit inconsistently, at the very least he'll provide competition for Bellchambers whereas Pittonett remains an unknown at AFL level.
FWIW if we're going off runs on the board at VFL level Nick Meese comfortably trumps both, however, he's returning to local footy knowing that he isn't getting a look in at AFL level.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreeing to a swap of picks now, allowing GCS to get pick 9, is going to come across as though we erred in not getting a similar deal done earlier. It would have to be clearly in our favour to justify it a month so after trade week. Even more-so because Demons have already said they wont select him if he doesn’t want to go there.

Going from Pick 9 and our future second for Pick 15 and Martin...

...to Picks 9 and 43 for Picks 15 and 20, plus Martin as a DFA.

That's not a similar deal we should have done during trade week, it's a much better deal for us.

I'm not sure I'd want to do it though, as we'd need to pull the trigger before draft night for Martin to get his DFA release - if an unexpected player was there at 9 and we'd already given up the pick, it would be a bit upsetting.

Here's a thought - handshake agreement with the Suns. Delist Martin now, come draft night we'll do the pick swap provided one of our top 3 players isn't available. They don't lose anything they're not already losing (Martin), and they build some goodwill back up with us. If we love a draftee at 9, sorry Suns. If not, swap picks.

I’m super confused by the idea of negotiating a trade with GCS to get Martin after the trade period. If this is a possibility why can’t we still pick up Martin in the PSD and “negotiate” a trade with Swans for Papley. I know they turned down our offer during trade period but maybe if they realise how badly he wants out and how upset he is that he wasn’t traded maybe something could be done?
I feel I’ve totally missed the mark on what’s a possibility, I just don’t get the discussion of trading after the trade period. Pick swaps I get.

I’m super confused by the idea of negotiating a trade with GCS to get Martin after the trade period. If this is a possibility why can’t we still pick up Martin in the PSD and “negotiate” a trade with Swans for Papley. I know they turned down our offer during trade period but maybe if they realise how badly he wants out and how upset he is that he wasn’t traded maybe something could be done?
I feel I’ve totally missed the mark on what’s a possibility, I just don’t get the discussion of trading after the trade period. Pick swaps I get.

Yeah seems like a load of unsubstantiated gossip to me.

We owe the Suns no favours, they won't pick him again in the PSD, also it would probably amount to draft tampering if we did a deal like that to ensure we get Martin in the PSD (AFL have come down hard on dodgy deals like this since that infamous Veale deal)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah seems like a load of unsubstantiated gossip to me.

We owe the Suns no favours, they won't pick him again in the PSD, also it would probably amount to draft tampering if we did a deal like that to ensure we get Martin in the PSD (AFL have come down hard on dodgy deals like this since that infamous Veale deal)

As opposed to the AFL when they intervene …...

seems legit … carry on.

Jack Martin is out of contract and not returning to the Suns, they played hardball and refused a trade. There options now are either, delist him, which means he becomes a DFA, or they can offer him a deal and force him to go to the PSD.

By offering GC a favourable pick swap, they might delist Martin, meaning he doesn’t have to go to the PSD. One could argue that this is draft tampering, but as it’s GC, the AFL would probably allow it, to avoid any possible challenges by Martins management if GC redrafted him or he was picked by Melbourne.

Papley is contracted by the Swans and has no problem with the club, Sydney have no obligation to listen to any offers, the reason they didn’t deal during trade period, is because they didn’t secure their other target, that hasn’t changed, so unless they have a total change of heart, then it won’t happen.

Going from Pick 9 and our future second for Pick 15 and Martin...

...to Picks 9 and 43 for Picks 15 and 20, plus Martin as a DFA.

That's not a similar deal we should have done during trade week, it's a much better deal for us.

I'm not sure I'd want to do it though, as we'd need to pull the trigger before draft night for Martin to get his DFA release - if an unexpected player was there at 9 and we'd already given up the pick, it would be a bit upsetting.

Here's a thought - handshake agreement with the Suns. Delist Martin now, come draft night we'll do the pick swap provided one of our top 3 players isn't available. They don't lose anything they're not already losing (Martin), and they build some goodwill back up with us. If we love a draftee at 9, sorry Suns. If not, swap picks.
I like this solution you’re proposing. We can’t lose, and they have a chance of getting a win/s; player and relationship wise. I would do that.

Offer Picks 9 and 43 and future 2nd for Suns 2019 picks 15 and 20, plus Martin as a DFA.
If we were to land Martin , Rivers and Taheny or quality other small forward I’d be ecstatic .

I like this solution you’re proposing. We can’t lose, and they have a chance of getting a win/s; player and relationship wise. I would do that.

And I think that's how you'd sell it to them.

Costs them nothing, nobody is overcommitting, and worst case scenario for them is that both parties can consider the ledger squared and not let future trades be impacted.

Papley is contracted by the Swans and has no problem with the club, Sydney have no obligation to listen to any offers, the reason they didn’t deal during trade period, is because they didn’t secure their other target, that hasn’t changed, so unless they have a total change of heart, then it won’t happen.

Even if they did have a change of heart, it's too late to trade players isn't it?

Martin only works because we could potentially entice GC to delist him. Delisting a contracted player would be a lot messier wouldn't it? Or am I missing something here.

I'm going the early crow, I reckon next year we'll get Grundy as a FA.

Pass. Too expensive and has the potential to screw our TPP balance. Let everyone else fight over Grundy, Whitfield, Cameron, Crouch etc.

Zac Williams on a more modest contract should be exactly where we aim.

Williams + Papley and anything else is a bonus. Reckon by this time next year Wines will be in our rear view mirror with our existing midfield group taking a big step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back