Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

THEYSEEMEROLLIN

Debutant
Mar 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The population of Geelong is tiny also. If the AFL continue to treat Tassie with the same contempt they have to this point, they will lose the next generation of sports lovers there to NBL and A-League. Already the number of young players coming out of Tas through the draft has been dropping significantly. They are deserting for other sports.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Has barely worked for the Lions, why throw another team into the mix and dilute the already small supporter base?

Contrived rivalry rarely ever evolves into anything meaningful.
Because you’ve got a game in Queensland every week, instead of only once a fortnight. Putting a team on the Gold Coast, no matter how difficult, made perfect sense. Unfortunately they buggered up the initial implementation, both in terms of club infrastructure and also their list build.
But it’s a long-term project.

Broadside

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
But it’s a long-term project.
It was an exercise in hubris, thinking that the AFL can make a franchise work when the Gold Coast is a graveyard of sporting teams. Why did they not just license the Southport Sharks and start with some momentum?

The AFL will get it right once they have exhausted every other possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GudOnya

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

To be fair the population of Tasmania is around 500,000, compared to say Geelong at half that it isn't really that tiny. The state Government would also kick in a fair chunk of money towards a new team, like they already do for both North and Hawthorn respectively, plus local sponsorships etc. And the majority of die-hard footy fans would be happy to hold 2 memberships, it's not like they get amazing value out of their current vic team memberships anyway. Won't make the AFL billions, but should still be sustainable and turn a profit.

BlueJet

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
To be fair, we've been mixing it with the Bombers for 15 years...
True enough mate, I'd just like to experience the build up to a final against one of our traditional rivals again.
These clubs are the ones that we measure our success against and the ones that wins against, on or off field, actually mean something.
Our club has 100+ years of history, GCS has what?
Hopefully in time they can build into a viable club up there but comparing one of the more storied clubs against an upstart is pointless.

CJMB

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The population of Geelong is tiny also. If the AFL continue to treat Tassie with the same contempt they have to this point, they will lose the next generation of sports lovers there to NBL and A-League. Already the number of young players coming out of Tas through the draft has been dropping significantly. They are deserting for other sports.
Although Geelong has a large supporter base throughout Western Victoria, most of the people of I know that side of the Westgate typically support the Cats.

THEYSEEMEROLLIN

Debutant
Mar 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Although Geelong has a large supporter base throughout Western Victoria, most of the people of I know that side of the Westgate typically support the Cats.
Likewise there are many expat Tasmanians living in Melbourne who would jump on a Tas team in a heartbeat, myself included. I'd buy 2 memberships every year and hope one day I'm torn who to support in the GF v the mighty Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RPCB

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Does Sam McClure think AFL fans wouldn’t know who Stephen Coniglio is or that the same people would only stand at attention when Carlton and Hawthorn are mentioned?

FlowersByIrene

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 29, 2012
Perth via Carlton Land
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants, Man U

That argument might make sense if not for the fact that there have been like 154 failed franchises on the Gold Coast in the past. Fact of the matter is, the Gold Coast is a wasteland for sporting franchises, no matter the code, no matter how long they're given.

DamianBis

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
To be fair the population of Tasmania is around 500,000, compared to say Geelong at half that it isn't really that tiny. The state Government would also kick in a fair chunk of money towards a new team, like they already do for both North and Hawthorn respectively, plus local sponsorships etc. And the majority of die-hard footy fans would be happy to hold 2 memberships, it's not like they get amazing value out of their current vic team memberships anyway. Won't make the AFL billions, but should still be sustainable and turn a profit.
Geelong have also had a team for 160 years so it's not really a like for like comparison.

Personally I'm of the thoughts that North Melbourne should relocate to Tassy.. keep the loyal supporters like Brisbane/Fitzroy merger did but also move a team out of the crowded Melbourne market into tassy.

But if I was a north supporter I'd fight till the death to try and stop it happening. It's not a great solution

Red_man2008

Team Captain
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Geelong have also had a team for 160 years so it's not really a like for like comparison.

Personally I'm of the thoughts that North Melbourne should relocate to Tassy.. keep the loyal supporters like Brisbane/Fitzroy merger did but also move a team out of the crowded Melbourne market into tassy.

But if I was a north supporter I'd fight till the death to try and stop it happening. It's not a great solution

As a Tasmanian I’m not following a relocates team. fu** that. But I’ll buy myself and all my immediate family Tasmanian Devil memberships.

0A213AFF-C32A-4924-BA3D-3894CF1546AE.png

Blue Flame

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2012
UK
AFL Club
Carlton
Tassie team will likely happen in the next few years. AFLPA for the last few years were pushing for a rolling bye week, so makes sense to include 1 more team.

GudOnya

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

What? If it was a like for like discussion in regards to already having AFL teams then this conversation wouldn't be happening.....

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone got anything further on why Anderson and Fisher have left the Northern Blues?

The wording of the press release is interesting... :think:

"Frank Anderson and Sam Fisher will not be at the Northern Blues Football Club in 2020.

The Club can confirm it has made the decision to part ways with the duo for the upcoming season and will instead pursue other recruits.

The Club came to the decision after numerous conversations with both players about their futures at the Club."

Red_man2008

Team Captain
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone got anything further on why Anderson and Fisher have left the Northern Blues?

The wording of the press release is interesting... :think:

"Frank Anderson and Sam Fisher will not be at the Northern Blues Football Club in 2020.

The Club can confirm it has made the decision to part ways with the duo for the upcoming season and will instead pursue other recruits.

The Club came to the decision after numerous conversations with both players about their futures at the Club."
Posts on social media confirming they’ve returned to swan districts.

Top Bottom