Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was the AFL I'd give pick 1 to the team that finishes 9th!

9th - 18th - get picks 1-10 (9th gets 1, 18th gets 10) with 8th - 1st getting 11-18 (8th - 11, 1st 18).

Then from the second round go the traditional 18th gets first pick of the round.

This way you incentivise teams not in finals contention to continue to fight for wins and may actually surprise themselves that they can do better than they think. Also continues to help rotate finals teams as get a top 3 pick may be enough to propel teams on the periphery 9-11 etc take those extra steps the following year.

The thing I would look at would be including a "staff" cap supplement pending on where you finish. 1st-6th get 0%, 7th-12th get 5%, 13th-18th get 10%. This way the bottom teams get some extra money to pay the following year for extra coachingto improve skills across the board then hoping your pick 1 is going to lift the group.
I actually like this idea; reward the aspirational teams rather than the teams actively plumbing the depths.

Teague has also said that they are trying to spread the load and arent playing through cripps as much. but yes, his form is definitely down
Crippa needs to get back to basics for the remainder of the season.

So for me his focus should be:

1. Creative/release handball
2. Tackling.

His incredible handballing skill was on display from his first season but has dropped off in the last couple of seasons as he's added more running and kicking to his game (to amazing effect mind you, AFLPA MVP last year).

But I'd love to see Crippa just go back to focusing on winning that contested footy and dishing out a beautiful handball to the advantage of his teammates, instead of trying to do it all.

I think the draft position should be based on a rolling 2 year cycle/average and this would be the perfect year to implement it

No draft this year, reduce list numbers by 3 players, then average this year and next for draft positions. Player trades can still take place

First year, 2021, of new concept, add the additional 3 players, pluus mandatory 3 list changes.

From then on maintain mandatory list changes of 3

Sides can't benefit of tanking in the one year, nor if they have unprecedented injuries for a similar period

I think the draft position should be based on a rolling 2 year cycle/average and this would be the perfect year to implement it

No draft this year, reduce list numbers by 3 players, then average this year and next for draft positions. Player trades can still take place

First year, 2021, of new concept, add the additional 3 players, pluus mandatory 3 list changes.

Sides can't benefit of tanking in the one year, nor if they have unprecedented injuries for a similar period
I can hear screaming in the distance... sounds like Crow supporters.

I disagree, would be incredibly rough on The Crows under your scenario. And no, I doubt any teams are tanking these days, there is just no real point to it.

I agree with no draft this year, except a PSD after trades.
Then potentially run two drafts next year.
First a delayed 2020 draft having had (hopefully) a proper year to look at the crop, and then the 2021 draft followed by Rookie and PSD.

Not having a draft this year certainly makes transition to smaller lists less brutal.

If you are not in contention for making the 8, with a game or 2, 3 left, putting guys into surgery, trying others in different positions and falling back a couple of spots on the ladder isn't poor culture, it's sound strategy
That's not the same as switching off before the game, having an eye on mad Monday and being ok with losing.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How would anyone here be able to gauge that, what a player is thinking and feeling?
The simple answer is that you can't, but you know as well as anyone how different some people are when it comes to their acceptance or denial of incipient loss.

Some go into their shell: "There's nothing I can do, it's ****ed." Some get angry: "I'll be damned if I let it happen!" So, while no team would ever go into a game with the idea of losing it - except for 2020 Adelaide and 2010 Melbourne - some players are more likely to respond to the prospect of loss even in the absence of consequences for that loss than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The simple answer is that you can't, but you know as well as anyone how different some people are when it comes to their acceptance or denial of incipient loss.

Some go into their shell: "There's nothing I can do, it's f’ed." Some get angry: "I'll be damned if I let it happen!" So, while no team would ever go into a game with the idea of losing it - except for 2020 Adelaide and 2010 Melbourne - some players are more likely to respond to the prospect of loss even in the absence of consequences for that loss than others.

Some move on quickly, others contemplate their and the team perfomance, others cant wait for the next game

Not everyone reacts the same way, in any side

Carlton re-signed Stocker for 2 more years at the end of last year so i am guessing they must see something in him. What baffles me more is why there is so much on Stocker whether he is good enough when he is only 20. Do we only give new draftees 1 year now and judge how good they will be? Personally i think he will be fine but at the ripe old age of 20 i will give him a bit more time.
Agree. Better than putting them in the leadership group in their 2nd year, ala Gibbs

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I think Ratts has relatively recently said that he wasn’t really ready for the Senior job when he got it at Carlton. He’s much more developed as a coach now for obvious reasons.
I am still of the view Ratten's time was up. I thought Pagan did more player development than Ratten. Agree Ratten served his apprentership post Carlton. I can't stess enough how important it is to find the right mentor for Teague. Carlton should not be a feeder club that trains coaches for the rest of the AFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolton bobs up somewhere else....ideal for North or Tassie

I am still of the view Ratten's time was up. I thought Pagan did more player development than Ratten. Agree Ratten served his apprentership post Carlton. I can't stess enough how important it is to find the right mentor for Teague. Carlton should not be a feeder club that trains coaches for the rest of the AFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolton bobs up somewhere else....ideal for North or Tassie
Bolton will never ever get a senior gig again ever

My 2 cents on culture that I've learned through playing and coaching sport here and in England..

1. Culture is built, not bought.
2. Culture is the expression values, beliefs and attitudes and is grounded in a unified sense of mission. Culture can grow 2 ways, it can be organic and come about from growth and ownership of key individuals involved. This does come with its own perils, but when it works, the results are quick and more often than not, spectacular (see 1995 Premiership side). The second way (and the slower, more stable method) is to be driven by Managers/Leaders and in this context, Coaches. When this happens, it tends to be for a longer period (Lions 3 peat, Tigers recent dominance).
3. Unless there are some here who have real buy-in, then we are just shooting the breeze when it comes to the current 'culture' within the Club, because by it's own design, culture can only be influenced by those who are in positions to influence.

Let me give an example of point 3. Many here bemoan the fact that Barker is still involved at the Club. Yet within the four walls of the Club, he is seen as being integral to the continued culture growth of not only the playing list, but the staff of the Club as well. That does not mean he will stay forever, no-one does.

For what it's worth, I think the Culture of the Club is growing, is real and is tangible. A few bad minutes at the end of a game, or an off performance doesn't change that. We've let go 65 players in the last 5 or 6 seasons, we've had a dozen Assistant Coaches come and go in the same time.

Let this group grow. The close losses etc, if MANAGED correctly, will create resiliance.

I think - if we're going to continue to do this - it might help if people defined what they refer to by the word culture, to ensure that people are actually talking about the same thing.
leave the intellectual nicieties and labels to you

Culture is 3QTR time in the 1970 granfinal. Carlton 10 points down
Barrassi "Whatever happens, I am proud of you"
Players "Lose we are not going to lose*

3QTR Time in 1981 Grandfinal. Carlton 10 points down
Jimmy Buckley " Look at the them(collingwood) they are tired. We have got this.

leave the intellectual nicieties and labels to you

Culture is 3QTR time in the 1970 granfinal. Carlton 10 points down
Barrassi "Whatever happens, I am proud of you"
Players "Lose we are not going to lose*

3QTR Time in 1981 Grandfinal. Carlton 10 points down
Jimmy Buckley " Look at the them(collingwood) they are tired. We have got this.
When it comes to such a nebulous thing as culture, I'm not really interested in contributing too much. It's a buzzword.

What I'm interested in is finding what works. You've enunciated what works. Let's see if we can do that, get there.

I think - if we're going to continue to do this - it might help if people defined what they refer to by the word culture, to ensure that people are actually talking about the same thing.
My instinct tells me that Mr G is a young lawyer. Am I right Mr G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back