Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That argument might make sense if not for the fact that there have been like 154 failed franchises on the Gold Coast in the past. Fact of the matter is, the Gold Coast is a wasteland for sporting franchises, no matter the code, no matter how long they're given.

To be fair the population of Tasmania is around 500,000, compared to say Geelong at half that it isn't really that tiny. The state Government would also kick in a fair chunk of money towards a new team, like they already do for both North and Hawthorn respectively, plus local sponsorships etc. And the majority of die-hard footy fans would be happy to hold 2 memberships, it's not like they get amazing value out of their current vic team memberships anyway. Won't make the AFL billions, but should still be sustainable and turn a profit.

Geelong have also had a team for 160 years so it's not really a like for like comparison.

Personally I'm of the thoughts that North Melbourne should relocate to Tassy.. keep the loyal supporters like Brisbane/Fitzroy merger did but also move a team out of the crowded Melbourne market into tassy.

But if I was a north supporter I'd fight till the death to try and stop it happening. It's not a great solution

Geelong have also had a team for 160 years so it's not really a like for like comparison.

Personally I'm of the thoughts that North Melbourne should relocate to Tassy.. keep the loyal supporters like Brisbane/Fitzroy merger did but also move a team out of the crowded Melbourne market into tassy.

But if I was a north supporter I'd fight till the death to try and stop it happening. It's not a great solution

As a Tasmanian I’m not following a relocates team. * that. But I’ll buy myself and all my immediate family Tasmanian Devil memberships.

0A213AFF-C32A-4924-BA3D-3894CF1546AE.png

Tassie team will likely happen in the next few years. AFLPA for the last few years were pushing for a rolling bye week, so makes sense to include 1 more team.

What? If it was a like for like discussion in regards to already having AFL teams then this conversation wouldn't be happening.....

Anyone got anything further on why Anderson and Fisher have left the Northern Blues?

The wording of the press release is interesting... :think:

"Frank Anderson and Sam Fisher will not be at the Northern Blues Football Club in 2020.

The Club can confirm it has made the decision to part ways with the duo for the upcoming season and will instead pursue other recruits.

The Club came to the decision after numerous conversations with both players about their futures at the Club."

Anyone got anything further on why Anderson and Fisher have left the Northern Blues?

"Frank Anderson and Sam Fisher will not be at the Northern Blues Football Club in 2020.

The Club can confirm it has made the decision to part ways with the duo for the upcoming season and will instead pursue other recruits.

The Club came to the decision after numerous conversations with both players about their futures at the Club."
Posts on social media confirming they’ve returned to swan districts.

Good point and one not touched on all too often.

Gold Coast will be tough but there's no other way than to walk into it for the long term...very long term.
Needs a generation to go by before we can really gauge whether there's something there or not.

They also need a spark and winning games and playing finals is the best spark you can have, but it's almost as though they need something else.
I just don't know what that may be though.
They need someone/something to hate, someone to oppose.

It's why Cochrane behaved the way he did in the Martin trade, out of a desire to get their fans onside, and get us offside. For a club without an identity, GWS becoming a club of thugs onfield (Mumford, Greene, Johnson a few times) and punching down on teams below them allowed them some margin of participation beyond merely having a team in the narrative of the AFL. Just being nasty did it.

If GC are to survive, they need to generate some them vs us tribality, and they need to be able to translate it into a) language they can use to talk directly to Queenslanders, not ex Vics who already have a team, and b) they need to be able to translate that into a minimum state; achieve victory X and this season is a pass.

How many of us, in these modern times of us being poor, have been willing to label this season a pass as long as we beat Essendon/Collingwood? That's the sort of thing they need, in the short to long term. Pure state vs state won't cut it; it needs to be personal.

From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

The GC is a holiday destination and in a strong rugby state, and as "Lethal" Leigh Mathews said there are not enough supporters especially down on the coast to support 2 teams in QLD. No sports teams have ever succeeded down there and as for the population, the oldies are lining up in "gods`waiting room" and the younger ones are there for the lifestyle, so why go to the footy!!! What do you think will make it work this time around as the afl have tried all this before, and throwing picks and money at them will not make a "culture" kick start there this time either. The Bulldogs president & others have already gone on record as saying that very same thing, and as far as Tassie not making sense $$$ wise...............neither does this joint!!! I still say Tasmania has a genetic footy heart and the G.C. is just a bunch of desperate heads trying to push s**t uphill because Gil & Shocking are just so intimidated by the NRL & even more so by SOCCER!!! Gee whiz the youth of QLD turning into Aussie rules fans..............when? 2039!!! give me a break please!!! Tasmanians would soon get behind their own team if it was launched properly, run well and were given enough $$$(by the afl) & sponsors to buy experienced players & draft kids so that they would actually start winning games............and people like jumping on winning teams band wagons........especially kids!!! The population may be small, but they are Aussie rules fans in that state and do not have to be converted from NRL or Soccer, and they have been asking for a team down there for quite a while now. The afl thrust the Suns on QLD, they did not ask for it!!! Even though the Giants have a better foot hold in NSW than the Suns do in Qld there is still talk that the Giants could likely end up playing out of the A.C.T. down the track...........that would be hilarious if Tassie eventually came in wearing a green jumper and the Canberra Giants did as well..........would love it!!! The only reason that the Suns did not do a deal with SOS in the Martin scenario was the fact that they were given a bunch of picks that made them feel like they had a bigger set of bollocks and that is what I hate about them, the fact that they were propped up by Gil & co just like our deal with Coniglio was scuttled by Gil & the afl because they wanted him to stay in Sydney!!! The afl did not give a s**t when the best forward in the comp (Lynch) was allowed to go to the best team of the previous two years in Richmond, but when it came to Carlton trying to recruit talented experienced players from the two "plastic" teams, Gil & co stepped up to the plate!!! All we tried to do was get more talent onto our list to help us rise up the ladder and we were going to use the so called "equalisation" method that was put in place by the afl, to try and land Coniglio as a free agent..........but dickhead Gil stuck his nose in and did his best to make sure the "so called rules" only apply when the afl want them to, and that is why I hope that the "cold toast sons" (kids from real footy states) leave and the club falls on it`s collective arse and takes Gil with them to never-never land.........:mad:

True. Like I said, I think something else has to come about for things to click for Gold Coast.

A surge in interest for the AFL in general?
A marketing campaign that takes off in the way the RL had many years ago?
A good team winning games and premierships?
A new generation that's somehow left behind RL and chose AFL?
More money into grass roots?
Other competitions have massive issues and we take on the windfall?

Maybe all that and more....but it does need something unnatural or at least unusual.
The Gold Coast is a state of mind........nothing more than that Harks, and people do not live a breathe footy in a tropical dreamland no matter what you do.........:cool:

The GC is a holiday destination and in a strong rugby state, and as "Lethal" Leigh Mathews said there are not enough supporters especially down on the coast to support 2 teams in QLD. No sports teams have ever succeeded down there and as for the population, the oldies are lining up in "gods`waiting room" and the younger ones are there for the lifestyle, so why go to the footy!!! What do you think will make it work this time around as the afl have tried all this before, and throwing picks and money at them will not make a "culture" kick start there this time either. The Bulldogs president & others have already gone on record as saying that very same thing, and as far as Tassie not making sense $$$ wise...............neither does this joint!!! I still say Tasmania has a genetic footy heart and the G.C. is just a bunch of desperate heads trying to push s**t uphill because Gil & Shocking are just so intimidated by the NRL & even more so by SOCCER!!! Gee whiz the youth of QLD turning into Aussie rules fans..............when? 2039!!! give me a break please!!! Tasmanians would soon get behind their own team if it was launched properly, run well and were given enough $$$(by the afl) & sponsors to buy experienced players & draft kids so that they would actually start winning games............and people like jumping on winning teams band wagons........especially kids!!! The population may be small, but they are Aussie rules fans in that state and do not have to be converted from NRL or Soccer, and they have been asking for a team down there for quite a while now. The afl thrust the Suns on QLD, they did not ask for it!!! Even though the Giants have a better foot hold in NSW than the Suns do in Qld there is still talk that the Giants could likely end up playing out of the A.C.T. down the track...........that would be hilarious if Tassie eventually came in wearing a green jumper and the Canberra Giants did as well..........would love it!!! The only reason that the Suns did not do a deal with SOS in the Martin scenario was the fact that they were given a bunch of picks that made them feel like they had a bigger set of bollocks and that is what I hate about them, the fact that they were propped up by Gil & co just like our deal with Coniglio was scuttled by Gil & the afl because they wanted him to stay in Sydney!!! The afl did not give a s**t when the best forward in the comp (Lynch) was allowed to go to the best team of the previous two years in Richmond, but when it came to Carlton trying to recruit talented experienced players from the two "plastic" teams, Gil & co stepped up to the plate!!! All we tried to do was get more talent onto our list to help us rise up the ladder and we were going to use the so called "equalisation" method that was put in place by the afl, to try and land Coniglio as a free agent..........but dickhead Gil stuck his nose in and did his best to make sure the "so called rules" only apply when the afl want them to, and that is why I hope that the "cold toast sons" (kids from real footy states) leave and the club falls on it`s collective arse and takes Gil with them to never-never land.........:mad:
Good rant but use paragraphs, ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complete guesses:

- With our influx of draftees the club had informed them they'd be required to play "supporting" roles, and both players decided to move to a club where they'd get a more prominent role. (Probably a stretch).

- Both players were hopeful of impressing the Blues recruiters and getting a shot on the senior/rookie list. With that having not panned out within a few years on the list, they've decided to move on. (Seems reasonable).

Complete guesses:

- With our influx of draftees the club had informed them they'd be required to play "supporting" roles, and both players decided to move to a club where they'd get a more prominent role. (Probably a stretch).

- Both players were hopeful of impressing the Blues recruiters and getting a shot on the senior/rookie list. With that having not panned out within a few years on the list, they've decided to move on. (Seems reasonable).

Looking at our list changes we've lost Phillips, Lobbe & Kerr as talls and only replaced them with 1 in Pittonet.

We've replaced 1 mid, Deluca (who wasn't even playing as a mid) with Philp, Ramsay & Kemp.

Flankers Thomas, Fasolo, Garlett & Schumacher make way for Honey, Phillips, Martin & Newnes, the last two could potentially be classed as mids too.

LeBois replaced by Betts as far as the genuine small forward role.

Effectively we've restructured the list and will have significantly more players competing for those midfield/wing and hhf/flanker roles that mids are often crammed into.

Our 2s very well could have (aside from a structure that resembles our 1s):
Newman, Williamson & Cottrell in the backline.
Stocker, Dow, Kennedy, O'Brien, & Newnes across the centerline & on ball.
Forward flanks and bench with Lang, Polson, Philp, Ramsay, Honey, Phillips (Kemp in the rehab room).

The club's preference might be to get time into the players above rather than the likes of Anderson & Fisher.

That's one hell of a tweet...

It was an exercise in hubris, thinking that the AFL can make a franchise work when the Gold Coast is a graveyard of sporting teams. Why did they not just license the Southport Sharks and start with some momentum?

The AFL will get it right once they have exhausted every other possibility.
Because the majority of the GC hate Southport

Good God that was hard to read....

Exactly..at least fans actually cared about and lovedFitzroy ..
If the afl threw money to them like they do coldtoast they'd still be breathing and loved by their fans ..
Not like the plastic club that's running around on the gold coast ffs..
In the AFL’s defence, they had no money at the time. Fees from the new clubs kept them afloat.

In the AFL’s defence, they had no money at the time. Fees from the new clubs kept them afloat.
As a young keen footy addict and a crazy blues fan I would of been devastated if that was my team that got shafted.
I don't think I could support my other team.
I wonder how many Fitzroy supporters went on and supported the bears.
My guess.... not many ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back