Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton09 seems a good source. I can't work out tencentpiece yet but giving them the benefit of the doubt. RoyalBlues is very interesting and no reason to rule them out yet.

Reglower is a laugh though, posts the most obvious 'news' two days after it's out, clout makes people do weird things - or maybe he's unaware that the info he's getting is recycled.

RickyMott I'm convinced speaks directly to a Silvagni. Pretty funny the politics of it all that's still going a year later.
Pretty much. Don’t forget adam43. Spot on too.

Raging Blue

All Australian
Oct 11, 2016
Half Time 1970
AFL Club
Carlton
an off-season of Williams, Saad and Graham/Viney would be a great.
we will still need a small forward.
but most of the holes in the list will be filled.

Not a rumour :) How about all these other recruits we will have next year who played 4 games this year between them. 2 games was from player with a sore knee and another who played 1 minute:

C Curnow
J Silvagni
Dow
Stocker
Marchbank
Kemp

Yes, being injury prone can be an issue, but no other club this year did not have access to this level of young talent.

Our yardstick is Bris. They have had a golden run with injury. Good recruitment? better management? maybe. They picked up Neale, Cameron & Lyons for nothing. We need something like this to happen and it can. We picked up Martin last year for nothing and although we missed on Papley who knows what Kemp can become.

Most analysts on this site concede we lack some class in the midfield and half back. Those potential targets will make a big difference adding to players missing this year. People who say we don't win when it matters etc probably don't realise how vulnerable the team is in these areas. Opposition teams know this and have really exploited us this year at times.

Disappointing we couldn't get more development games for some players listed above. But there were enough good signs to say we are on the right path but also have the potential to explode.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If there are a lot of good players wanting to come to us then I get the feeling that any decent offers to young or injury prone players will be made. We seem to have currency in terms of salary cap space. We lack a little currency in terms of trade power. Trading up is what we need to do IMO.

Saad or Williams, both would be nice but we have priorities. Williams we just go out and buy, costs us nothing. Saad as well? Probably but we probably have to trade, to get both then someone like SPS probably goes out if there is interest there.

Then speculation over some of the centremen we are looking at, a big turnover in the middle could happen and could be beneficial to us. Merrett, Wines and Viney would be great gets. Good competitors, tough players. You get them then where does that leave Dow. A long way back in the pecking order, he probably helps us get multiples of this group IF there is trade interest. Viney is another player we just go out and buy however.

So potentially we could have Williams and Viney without losing a pick but to get more we probably have to trade.

Merrett is an RFA next season so that makes him gettable now although dealing with Essendon that may not matter.

Wines is a RFA in 2023 so he's probably not gettable, especially in a team looking to keep it's players as they are going quite well.

I think Carlton will be looking for a big haul and quite possibly are capable of it, could be a massive list turnover if things all fall together you would think.

We are going through our usual process, and are probably realising we've got young guys who are expandable for the right price: Dow, LOB, Marchbank etc.

Our list needs a big shake up ala St Kilda's last off-season, after 4-5 years purely adding young players, casting off guys we thought we could get some ROI for and adding best 22 players around the fringes: Newman, Setterfield, Plowman. Getting Martin into the team was certainly against the grain.

There's probably enough development within the young group to push for a spot in the 8 next year if we are good enough and we manage to the land the free agents we've been vying for.

Last edited:

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
On Cripps and his down year.

I must admit that I haven’t read about his partners issues and I’m sure it is a concern and a distraction.

I can only assume and hope that he is also carrying some form of injury.

I think the shortened quarters and faster turn around has also not helped.

It’s also possible Cripps is trying to hard and trying to do too much.

But enough on why Cripps might be off and on to Teague.

Teague is the coach, he is responsible for getting the most out of his players, he has a big cross this year in regards to Cripps.
Cripps has been struggling big time, but has not changed his role at all to help him break his form slump.

Teague is the coach and is responsible for selection, if Cripps is carrying an injury, then why hasn’t he been rested?Cripps missed games last year and the sky didn’t fall in. This is another massive cross against the coach.

Lastly for the club, if your captain is going through some tough mental issues or family issues, his football being affected, as a likely suffering from an injury, then send him home for a bloody break. Regardless if he says he’s fine, that’s a big cross against the club.

Bluebag13

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
On Cripps and his down year.

I must admit that I haven’t read about his partners issues and I’m sure it is a concern and a distraction.

I can only assume and hope that he is also carrying some form of injury.

I think the shortened quarters and faster turn around has also not helped.

It’s also possible Cripps is trying to hard and trying to do too much.

But enough on why Cripps might be off and on to Teague.

Teague is the coach, he is responsible for getting the most out of his players, he has a big cross this year in regards to Cripps.
Cripps has been struggling big time, but has not changed his role at all to help him break his form slump.

Teague is the coach and is responsible for selection, if Cripps is carrying an injury, then why hasn’t he been rested?Cripps missed games last year and the sky didn’t fall in. This is another massive cross against the coach.

Lastly for the club, if your captain is going through some tough mental issues or family issues, his football being affected, as a likely suffering from an injury, then send him home for a bloody break. Regardless if he says he’s fine, that’s a big cross against the club.

I see your point and what your getting at, but to say its a cross when you dont have the slightest idea of what is actually going on is a bit much.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Saad is exactly the type of backman we need and does not at all preclude us from equally targeting Williams, who I believe can and wants to play a fair bit of inside mid time.

Both would give us speed - off the backline and through the midfield. It'd also give us the opportunity - with Newman coming back - to flip the SPS experiment down back altogether and get his development back to where it should be.

A Round 1, 2021 would give me a heap of confidence of finals:

B - Saad, Jones, Williamson
HB - Plowman, Weitering, Docherty
C - Walsh, Cripps, Petrevski-Seton
HF - Silvagni, C. Curnow, Martin
F - Gibbons, McKay, Fisher
R - De Koning, W. Setterfield, Z. Williams
I/C - Murphy, Newnes, E. Curnow, B. Kemp

EMG: Casboult, Cuningham, Dow, Newman

Now, if we're looking at Graham from the Tigers, he'd probably come in and play over Kemp right away. But if both are fit, I'd suggest (early days) that Newman and Kemp will both be pushing for a Round 1 berth after long recovery times.
Who's your 2nd ruck?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow. Oliver, hey? I must have completely missed the talk about him last year. Seems to be a Big Footy fantasy... or am I missing something?

Yeah it happened a bit later in the piece. String of in the knows said interesring development had happened. A big name had asked to come across and we would need to make some decisions becausw we were advanced down our other trades. In the end we told him he's left it too late apparently.

Pretty sure it came it in the media afterwards too.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
With respect, the condition of OCD can manifest in many ways and the triggers vary by person. Cripps returning to Melbourne and sacrificing his footy this year could have done more harm than good if it resulted in negative press about both him and his relationship. You've got to consider the amount of vitriol his partner could receive it we lost games Cripps sat out to come to Melbourne.

I know we'd like to think most people would be respectful, but we've also seen the racist bullshit players like Eddie continue to cop. It's not a knock against the club unless we know he has't been given support and freedom to act in the way that suits him and his family.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There are a lot of posters who brought us good info, who don't post here anymore. I think the board is significantly lesser for it.
I think that all posters - whether saying what you're saying, or more skeptical - take rumours posted on an open forum too seriously.

But then, I also think that people really need to quit telling other people what to post.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that all posters - whether saying what you're saying, or more skeptical - take rumours posted on an open forum too seriously.

But then, I also think that people really need to quit telling other people what to post.

Hmmm, I don't think anything positive is achieved by those who re-post facebook rumours, or just make crap up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If there are a lot of good players wanting to come to us then I get the feeling that any decent offers to young or injury prone players will be made. We seem to have currency in terms of salary cap space. We lack a little currency in terms of trade power. Trading up is what we need to do IMO.

Saad or Williams, both would be nice but we have priorities. Williams we just go out and buy, costs us nothing. Saad as well? Probably but we probably have to trade, to get both then someone like SPS probably goes out if there is interest there.

Then speculation over some of the centremen we are looking at, a big turnover in the middle could happen and could be beneficial to us. Merrett, Wines and Viney would be great gets. Good competitors, tough players. You get them then where does that leave Dow. A long way back in the pecking order, he probably helps us get multiples of this group IF there is trade interest. Viney is another player we just go out and buy however.

So potentially we could have Williams and Viney without losing a pick but to get more we probably have to trade.

Merrett is an RFA next season so that makes him gettable now although dealing with Essendon that may not matter.

Wines is a RFA in 2023 so he's probably not gettable, especially in a team looking to keep it's players as they are going quite well.

I think Carlton will be looking for a big haul and quite possibly are capable of it, could be a massive list turnover if things all fall together you would think.

I think the aim would be to secure one top line midfielder in the offseason - a Viney or Wines would be ideal, preferably Viney because a) he's a free agent, and b) he'd complement Cripps better.

Williams plays off HB but gets more rotations through the middle and the wing than GWS are giving him. If he wants to play as a pure midfielder and will chuck a tanty if we play him elsewhere, then we should honestly walk away. Players don't dictate where they want to line up, the coaches tell them to based on the needs of the team. I reckon Williams would understand that, and as long as he's getting "more" midfield time then he'd be happy.

Reckon Lonie is the perfect small forward target. He's not a gun, but he works very hard and has neat skills. Would probably cost a third rounder at most given he's out of contract and has bounced in and out of the Saints senior side this year. They won't haggle over him.

We secure those three, and we're laughing. Three best 22 players without touching our first or second round picks. Replacing the retired Simmo, Kreuzer, and I'm assuming Betts.

FB: Newman, Jones, Plowman (Cottrell, BSOS, Marchbank)
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Williams (Ramsay, Macreadie, Williamson)
C: Walsh, Setterfield, Newnes (Philp, Stocker, O'Brien)
R: TDK, Cripps, Viney (Pittonet, Dow, Gibbons)
HF: Martin, Casboult, Fisher (Honey, McGovern, Cuningham)
FF: McKay, Curnow, Lonie (Phillips, JSOS, Owies)
I/C: Murphy, Curnow, SPS, Kemp

There's a list of 40. Generally leaning towards maturity in the seniors, with the younger blokes required to perform consistently at senior level. The last bench spot I've given to Kemp at this stage, but I'd like to see it used to rotate through in-form youngsters at suitable times.

Delist: Kennedy, Lang, Moore, Polson, O'Dwyer, Goddard

Then you've gotta find at least 2 more to delist to accommodate draftees. Tick off the third compulsory pick with a rookie upgrade.

TL: DR - Viney + Williams + Lonie = a very happy me and a solid looking list.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons (or Harry for 10% with Charlie back).

In reality, Levi will likely play a fair bit next year but I just can't see how he, Charlie and Harry (and possibly Gov) play in the same team.

I reckon TDK is the type that could probably almost solo ruck...in a couple of years. Maybe next year he solo rucks in 4 out of 5 games, with Pittonet coming in regularly to give TDK a rest.

Agree that Harry, Charlie and Levi is getting a bit top heavy. Would prefer Gov to Levi, but only if it's a fit Gov. Long term, with his height, Harry really needs to be doing some ruckwork.

Hell...you know what. Get another decent clearance mid in there and Cripps can go up against opposition second rucks.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Viney is overrated. Can see why people would want him, but last season he was the leading clanger king (by foot), plus I am not really a fan of his attiude (if he wants to leave Melbourne mostly cause he was dropped from the captaincy, is he the type of bloke we want at the club ?)

Maybe as a last resort (all other available targets are taken/unavailable) we should have a look, but honestly both from a team chemistry and on field perspective, I don't Viney is a good mix for us.

Very nearly did HBF.
I know his family.
SOS wouldn't budge.
Wasn't a big difference in offer but we wouldn't match *.
All I know atm and this is going back 5 weeks is Austin has been in ongoing talks with his manager.
Nothing new but I'll contribute what I know.

Thanks for the update Brian.

Happy to pass on Oliver. He’d cost an arm
and a leg and his field kicking is nothing short of atrocious. As good as he is otherwise we don’t need more sub par kicks. Viney would be a better option and more attainable.

This is a bit of a myth for me.
It's no worse than players we have on our list.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Viney is overrated. Can see why people would want him, but last season he was the leading clanger king (by foot), plus I am not really a fan of his attiude (if he wants to leave Melbourne mostly cause he was dropped from the captaincy, is he the type of bloke we want at the club ?)

Maybe as a last resort (all other available targets are taken/unavailable) we should have a look, but honestly both from a team chemistry and on field perspective, I don't Viney is a good mix for us.
Disagree on all points. He's not an elite user, but he brings an aggression and attack at the contest that not many on our list possess. Also your logic on him wanting to leave his club probably rules out Merrett?

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon need a young strong ruckman. We need a pacey half back flanker with good fit skills

Pittonet for Adam Saad swap with pick swapping either way? Is that feasible :)
Cool, so where do we get TDK's ruck backup then? Draft two rucks? Or trade for a Preuss type to cover losing Pittonet? Makes no sense.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons (or Harry for 10% with Charlie back).

In reality, Levi will likely play a fair bit next year but I just can't see how he, Charlie and Harry (and possibly Gov) play in the same team.
Expand your mind.

And it will come to you.
tim-and-eric-mind-explosion-gif--41769.gif

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back