Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viney is overrated. Can see why people would want him, but last season he was the leading clanger king (by foot), plus I am not really a fan of his attiude (if he wants to leave Melbourne mostly cause he was dropped from the captaincy, is he the type of bloke we want at the club ?)

Maybe as a last resort (all other available targets are taken/unavailable) we should have a look, but honestly both from a team chemistry and on field perspective, I don't Viney is a good mix for us.

Don't think Viney is being overrated anywhere, solid citizen that cracks in hard for the pill.

Why are we comparing his season last year instead of this year? It is like saying Cripps is a not a top line inside in the league because he had a ordinary year.

His attitude is speculative, could be a number of reason if he decides to leave.

What team Chemisty? What negative outcome does he bring to the team?

This is a bit of a myth for me.
It's no worse than players we have on our list.
I haven't watched a heap of Melbourne this year but it feels like he's trying to be more attacking/damaging with his possessions now. Might lower his DE/increase turnovers, but you probably take that if he's hitting more kicks that help open the play up. And he'll still get it 30 times a game...

This is a bit of a myth for me.
It's no worse than players we have on our list.

There are defintely some horrible shanks this year. But yes we do have some horrible kicks in the team. If we do get Oliver we need some good wingers in which we don't really have besides Walsh.

Cool, so where do we get TDK's ruck backup then? Draft two rucks? Or trade for a Preuss type to cover losing Pittonet? Makes no sense.

Surely in that scenario we could get a 24-25 stare league age(ish) ruck from the VFL or possibly trade a later pick for Preuss ?

I am thinking about a need for need type of trade
, don't get me wrong I love Pitto, but knowing what a pain in the ads Dodo is, if we are taking a picks trade he would demand our first pick (at least) for Saad, which IMHO is overs.

Maybe this year's second round pick and next year's third for Saad then (very keen to get him to Carlton) ?

There are a lot of posters who brought us good info, who don't post here anymore. I think the board is significantly lesser for it.
Have you ever gone to Maccas, pulled the pickles out of your Big Mac, then thrown them at the window and hope they stick?? Childish I know, but very indicative of this place at this time of year. Conversely, and very regularly last year, the keyboard warriors on the grassy knoll took unlimited snipes at some very reputable posters, and they no longer, or not very oft appear anymore. There’s a huge difference between Rumour and BS....and then we eat our own.

Disagree on all points. He's not an elite user, but he brings an aggression and attack at the contest that not many on our list possess. Also your logic on him wanting to leave his club probably rules out Merrett?

Perhaps, but I Am not sure at that the Merrett rumours have any grain of truth in them at this stage?

Okay Timbo obviously reads BF. And it's a verified account. I consider it legit :)

And yes I would gladly take Zerrett at Carlton. He has a lot more to offer than Viney. Cannot see Essingtin and Dodo trading him though.

He can hurt teams when he's not being tagged.

Try tagging Cripps, Walsh, Merrett....Our midfield just got much harder to shut down.

I still give us 1% of chance of landing Merrett, but it's fun to dream.

Surely in that scenario we could get a 24-25 stare league age(ish) ruck from the VFL or possibly trade a later pick for Preuss ?

, don't get me wrong I love Pitto, but knowing what a pain in the ads Dodo is, if we are taking a picks trade he would demand our first pick (at least) for Saad, which IMHO is overs.

Maybe this year's second round pick and next year's third for Saad then (very keen to get him to Carlton) ?

Pitto isn't worth that much, and if Dodo won't budge on our first rounder (~7) then we tell him where to go. I know you think Saad should be our top priority, but like any potential targets, there is a cap of how much we're willing to spend.

By the time you try and bring in Pitto's replacement it probably negates any trade benefit you may have got by packaging him in a trade.

I just can't see any of this scenario being worthwhile or benefitial to us.

Don't think Viney is being overrated anywhere, solid citizen that cracks in hard for the pill.

Why are we comparing his season last year instead of this year? It is like saying Cripps is a not a top line inside in the league because he had a ordinary year.

His attitude is speculative, could be a number of reason if he decides to leave.

What team Chemisty? What negative outcome does he bring to the team?

Just from what i have seen on-field, he does not look like the best teammate, seen him a couple of times berate some of his teammates for mistakes, which may explain why he was dropped from the leadership group.

Pitto isn't worth that much, and if Dodo won't budge on our first rounder (~7) then we tell him where to go. I know you think Saad should be our top priority, but like any potential targets, there is a cap of how much we're willing to spend.

By the time you try and bring in Pitto's replacement it probably negates any trade benefit you may have got by packaging him in a trade.

I just can't see any of this scenario being worthwhile or benefitial to us.

Fair enough, probably a lot of common sense in what you say :)

I really don't want to give up our first rounder for any player we have been linked to (Zac Williams as a Free hit as a Free Agent would be great).

Zerrett I would, but I think that is very unlikely.

Cannot stress enough the value of our first round pick this year (esp as it looks like being around the 7-9 range)

Probably not even for Ollie Wines, Freo snagged Caleb Serong with pick 8 in last year's draft. Who is to say we can't pick a similar talent in this year's draft (although this year's draft is a bit more of a chook raffle than usual, esp given the academy pushbacks)

I would try prefer to trade surplus players (if we can) to try bolster our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zach Merrett being traded to Carlton would actually blow my mind. Legit have never thought it could possibly happen.

If it does, I'm going to write a 2,000 word essay on this history of big trades between Carlton and Essendon and how monumental a Merret trade would be.

Somebody hold me to it if it happens.

Viney is overrated. Can see why people would want him, but last season he was the leading clanger king (by foot), plus I am not really a fan of his attiude (if he wants to leave Melbourne mostly cause he was dropped from the captaincy, is he the type of bloke we want at the club ?)

Maybe as a last resort (all other available targets are taken/unavailable) we should have a look, but honestly both from a team chemistry and on field perspective, I don't Viney is a good mix for us.

There's a few factors I think make Viney a perfect pickup for us.

The obvious ones - he's AFL quality, no doubt whatsoever, and he's a free agent.

He gets good disposal numbers, and a fairly even spread of contested/uncontested at that. He wins plenty of clearances, gains decent territory, averages more inside 50s than anyone in our team. And he does all this alongside ball magnets like Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw. He'd also be top 3 or 4 in our side for tackles.

He handballs more than he kicks because he knows his limitations. Good luck finding an elite contested ball winner with elite footskills - and should you find one, good luck convincing their side to part with them for anything short of a king's ransom. His disposal isn't terrible, it's just the norm for an inside midfielder.

He'd immediately slot in alongside Cripps as a player who can win the ball and feed it out to Walsh, Setters and whoever else on the outside. He does more defensive work than most of our list, and tackles like he means it (unlike most of our list...). He's a highly driven competitor, and doesn't like to lose (compared to a good portion of our list who don't seem too fussed...).

I don't see any attitude issues with Viney, I have no idea where that's come from. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he responded poorly to losing the captaincy. I'd suggest that if he wants to exercise his free agency rights is less to do with that, and more to do with Melbourne's inability to put together another good season since 2018.

There are defintely some horrible shanks this year. But yes we do have some horrible kicks in the team. If we do get Oliver we need some good wingers in which we don't really have besides Walsh.
Yep and that’s my concern with an Oliver type. Him being no worse than some of our current mids is not a good thing haha. We do need an inside mid but we also want players who will improve our disposal efficiency.

Disagree on all points. He's not an elite user, but he brings an aggression and attack at the contest that not many on our list possess. Also your logic on him wanting to leave his club probably rules out Merrett?

And what about Saad, Elmer's top priority, who has apparently said he'll decide between Essendon and us based on which club offers a bigger contract?

Why wouldn't Essendon just offer Preuss the main ruck gig and pick him up for a fourth rounder - then demand a first round pick from us for Saad anyway?

Saad is worried about the direction of *. Doesnt want to face a rebuild, same with Merrett.

Saad for a 2nd with maybe a back end pick swap would be a great get for us.

It's probably easier to wait for Merrett to go out of contract.

I just can't see a deal getting done based on what Essendon were asking for Daniher.

Granted they're different types, but I'd suggest they'd value Merrett higher than Daniher given the fact that he's in their best week in week out. Daniher can hardly get on the park.

Elmer.

He wasn't dropped from the leadership group.

He's their vice captain!

Oh right, he was co-captain though last year with Nathan Jones. But he is not happy from being demoted (from what i have ascertained from sources in the media like Garry Lyon)

Oh right, he was co-captain though last year with Nathan Jones. But he is not happy from being demoted (from what i have ascertained from sources in the media like Garry Lyon)

Why would he be happy about losing the captaincy? That's still a far cry to having attitude issues.

Everything I've seen indicates he approached this year with the utmost professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back