Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samo playing VFL, Cerra probably their third best midfielder.

Cerra much younger than Saad with a much bigger upside.

If he does pick us as his preferred club that helps, but we need to expect a big cost at the trade table and a fair price in our salary cap.

I agree and no doubt a decent salary and trade package is required. but we cant fall in the trap of paying overs for what a player may become.
You pay what they are worth now.

I agree and no doubt a decent salary and trade package is required. but we cant fall in the trap of paying overs for what a player may become.
You pay what they are worth now.
Yes, spot on. Hope we have learnt this from the McGovern and Williams trade.

Cerra was pick 4 after Dow, iirc.

He has improved since then and is one of the better uses of the ball in the comp.

So start there and work up.

Isn't Cerra OOC at end of year? Not that his manager would use it, but if Freo plays too hard there is always pre-season draft... That would mean Vic for Cerra at Norf... I'm not saying that's what would happen, but one hopes it means Freo is somewhat reasonable... But if Cerra was to come to Carlton it would mean our 1st plus something...

Tom Morris just reported that Cerra is increasingly likely to nominate Carlton as his club of choice.

Don't know how I feel about this. Don't we want to give Dow/Kennedy/LOB as much opportunity in the midfield as possible? Don't we want Stocker to eventually move out of the backline? Getting Cerra just prevents that.

If that’s the case we’ll be losing a few players as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't Cerra OOC at end of year? Not that his manager would use it, but if Freo plays too hard there is always pre-season draft... That would mean Vic for Cerra at Norf... I'm not saying that's what would happen, but one hopes it means Freo is somewhat reasonable... But if Cerra was to come to Carlton it would mean our 1st plus something...
Would give our first in a heart beat and would think that would be close. Just a lot of BS in between I guess.

Look at Shai Bolton signing for 600k. Thats good management.
Much easier to keep a player, than entice a player from another club.

I bet we did well with Harry, considering what others would have been offering.

Last edited:
Big fan of Cerra, would love him at the Blues, if he wants to come, he would fit in and compliment our side nicely, the draft capital required won’t be too big, our first and a little bit more, would be fair, the kicker is the $$$$$ and the only concern I have, if we pay good money and they okay well, it’s fine, but if you overpay, it hurts and continues to hurt.

Put a reasonable price on Cerra, $650,000 id hope would be the max, show him the vision, the history, roll out the red carpet, if he’s keen he will come and if someone else wants to pay considerably more, then, so be it.

Our 1st + SPS for Cerra + 3rd?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about recruiting yet another big salary recruit.

That's overs IMO...our 1st is likely to be around pick 9-10...that should be enough if Cerra is uncontracted and wants to return to VIC. I guess SPS isn't even in our senior team right now so his value is low...but damn he was a pick 5 and I still have hope he'll be a gun.

I'm also a bit worried about the reported salary. $700-750k seems too high for Cerra and on the back of Williams' $800-850k contract, it is a little concerning Austin seems willing to overpay to land recruits. Then there's the question of whether Cerra is REALLY what our midfield needs, after Williams' 1st year was a bust in terms of being a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Cerra, would love him at the Blues, if he wants to come, he would fit in and compliment our side nicely, the draft capital required won’t be too big, our first and a little bit more, would be fair, the kicker is the $$$$$ and the only concern I have, if we pay good money and they okay well, it’s fine, but if you overpay, it hurts and continues to hurt.

Put a reasonable price on Cerra, $650,000 id hope would be the max, show him the vision, the history, roll out the red carpet, if he’s keen he will come and if someone else wants to pay considerably more, then, so be it.
I think he turns down Richmond due to how they are going at the moment and may fall off a cliff shortly. Career defining if he chooses Richmond and they stuff it up.

I think SPS and our second is fair price for Cerra
Gee if you were our list manager and could pull that off you would be given the keys to Lygon St.:)

At best you might get a late second for SPS (as much as like I him and hope that he comes good). So you think Freo would give us Cerra for two mid second rounders (say 27 & 30)?

By the way I really like Cerra. Would take our midfield from where it is now (maybe a B- with the potential to get to B+) to where we hope it might be (immediately an A- with the potential to get to an A+). Has to be balanced with the costs, obvious cost is draft picks and salary cap. Ancillary cost is not being able to draft a high pick KPD which might be our greatest need to slot in and do an apprenticeship with Jones and Weitering.

Last edited:
That's overs IMO...our 1st is likely to be around pick 9-10...that should be enough if Cerra is uncontracted and wants to return to VIC. I guess SPS isn't even in our senior team right now so his value is low...but damn he was a pick 5 and I still have hope he'll be a gun.

I'm also a bit worried about the reported salary. $700-750k seems too high for Cerra and on the back of Williams' $800-850k contract, it is a little concerning Austin seems willing to overpay to land recruits. Then there's the question of whether Cerra is REALLY what our midfield needs, after Williams' 1st year was a bust in terms of being a midfielder.

If our pick is 8 or 9 for Cerra, which you hope is enough, and then we get a third for SPS (47), how far overs do you think we are paying?

I think SPS is worth about pick 35 and 8-9 is one or two spots to low for Cerra, they get SPS for a bit of a discount, to make up for a lower first round pick, I’d be pretty happy.

Tom Morris just reported that Cerra is increasingly likely to nominate Carlton as his club of choice.

Don't know how I feel about this. Don't we want to give Dow/Kennedy/LOB as much opportunity in the midfield as possible? Don't we want Stocker to eventually move out of the backline? Getting Cerra just prevents that.

Right now, I'd play Cerra comfortably ahead of all those listed.

But it's not that simple, as we don't need to trade for (or pay big $ to) any of our players, whereas we'd have to to get Cerra.

Then there's the question of whether Cerra is REALLY what our midfield needs, after Williams' 1st year was a bust in terms of being a midfielder.

Cerra is exactly what our midfield needs.

Our biggest problem for years has been that last kick inside 50.

Cerra is a beautiful user of the ball and would give Harry, Charlie et al delivery they can only dream of.

But... He'd be costly to acquire.

Gee if you were our list manager and could pull that off you would be given the keys to Lygon St.:)

At best you might get a late second for SPS (as much as like I him and hope that he comes good). So you think Freo would give us Cerra for two mid second rounders (say 27 & 30)?

Exactly.

Think of it from a Fremantle point of view - would you give up one of your top 3-4 midfielders with perhaps the biggest upside, for a bloke that can't get a game with a team that is sitting 12th and screaming out for midfielders?

Our first + SPS is too much, our 2nd + SPS is not enough... Either our first with a late pick back our way + Cerra (and we keep SPS), or I suspect we downgrade our first for a late first + 2nd rounder and use that first to get Cerra.

After the Saad trade, I suspect most list mangers will consider us push overs as we paid too much for a player who was out of contract and chosen CFC as his preferred club.

It will be an interesting offseason

So if our salary cap is ‘full’ and considering we’ve signed up Cripps/Harry and need cash for Walsh,who would we lose to ‘free’ up some cash?

Levi-Gone
Murph-Retired

Trade options.

????????

Cerra is a very good football player. We aren't good enough to be denying very good football players. Structure his contract correctly, and if it means retiring Ed, so be it. Find the space, McGovern's contract expires in 2 years, Murphy's inflated veteran contract comes off the books, probably Betts' too.

A midfield built around Walsh, Cerra and Dow, with the possibility of Cripps revitalising himself as more than a role player, would be magnificent.
This

Cerra is exactly what our midfield needs.

Our biggest problem for years has been that last kick inside 50.

Cerra is a beautiful user of the ball and would give Harry, Charlie et al delivery they can only dream of.

But... He'd be costly to acquire.
Agree with this all. Mind you Paddy Dow looks to be turning into a very nice kick of late.

Cerra, Dow, LOB and Walsh kicking to Harry and Charlie sounds about right.

Exactly.

Think of it from a Fremantle point of view - would you give up one of your top 3-4 midfielders with perhaps the biggest upside, for a bloke that can't get a game with a team that is sitting 12th and screaming out for midfielders?

Our first + SPS is too much, our 2nd + SPS is not enough... Either our first with a late pick back our way + Cerra (and we keep SPS), or I suspect we downgrade our first for a late first + 2nd rounder and use that first to get Cerra.

After the Saad trade, I suspect most list mangers will consider us push overs as we paid too much for a player who was out of contract and chosen CFC as his preferred club.

It will be an interesting offseason
We could trade down with the dogs. Pick 17-18 + lipinski for 7-9. Then turn 17-18 + SPS for Cerra.

we basically turn SPS and our first for lipinski and Cerra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back