Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add in Newman for his poor game and limited upside.

Newman is a good foot soldier for a team where we've been but hopefully we're moving past those types who will then become depth options but not best 22.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Newman is a good foot soldier for a team where we've been but hopefully we're moving past those types who will then become depth options but not best 22.
We don't need a foot soldier in the defence. We need to be looking to play younger players when the senior player is a 6-7 out of 10 at best. Hopefully Kemp will be taking his place.

While they are unlucky, I would be delisting Newman, Newnes and Gibbons at the end of the year with most of our 30yr olds.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
We don't need a foot soldier in the defence. We need to be looking to play younger players when the senior player is a 6-7 out of 10 at best. Hopefully Kemp will be taking his place.

While they are unlucky, I would be delisting Newman, Newnes and Gibbons at the end of the year with most of our 30yr olds.
We could probably get a trade out of 2 of them.

We could probably get a trade out of 2 of them.

For what?

Realistically unless you retain these types the trade value is negligible and has been ever since DFA came in.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
And now we see the old "partial sentence taken out of context" play. Textbook.

And to me that indicates that we did not have adequate and sophisticated enough coaching when it came to stoppages. We were either not training the right plays, or not training under realistic pressure, and in reviews the rushed exits were not being addressed as an issue.

Barker's fault, had to have been. Stanton's fault, probably as well. Teague's fault, well, he has oversight of those two, so yep. But in getting Barker out and someone else in, we seem to have had a circuit breaker and either through direct coaching or a change in mindset, our stoppage exits have been cleaner and more considered. We're partway between the extreme's of early season Carlton, who took the first opportunity to slam it on the boot, and the Bulldogs, who like to use half a dozen handballs to work the ball into space before taking off.

You've still yet to actually commit fully to your implication that the stoppage coach's responsibility ends before the ball leaves the stoppage. I've asked you to, you keep evading, because you know it's silly. If our method for moving the ball from the stoppage to anywhere else is performing poorly, that is on the stoppage coach, it can't not be. It's also on the mid/transition coach and the senior coach. As I said.

And again, as I apparently need to say a fourth time because you keep trying to pivot, I'm well an truly on the record as saying that Barker wasn't the sole source of our problems, nor was he even necessarily problematic in himself. And the second statement you've quoted there - care to refute it? Barker leaving was either a direct result of changes being made from higher up, or him choosing to leave of his own volition has been a trigger for other changes to be made.

Or he just coincidentally decided to resign on the eve of an external review, and any changes made in his area of responsibility were changes he was going to make anyway...is that it?

Are you aware, where each coaches responsibility starts and finishes? Because I don't, nor would you

So let's have a crack.

If I win the ball at a stoppage and release it effectively to a "transition player" who then shanks the next disposal, do we blame the stoppage coach?

Add to this, only stats I have (most of us have), are based on a number players contributing to that clearance, yet the player who gains the first possession is awarded the clearance stat

So, given our stats are down on clearances since the bye and marks are up, that would suggest that Teague tweaking the gameplan to add tempo and composure, which has been the BIGGEST improvement since the bye.

Summary

Clearances are down - Less opportunities to control the game/pill

Marks are up - More opportunities to control the game/pill aka more opportunities/better "transition"

This just didn't happen because of a change in assistants, it was by design of the head coach

Just as the gameplan changed from Bolton to Teague, it wasn't driven by assistants

So if you or others want to blame a assistant/s for the teams poor output, then applaud a assistant/s for great output, go right ahead. My critique, good or bad will be directed to the head coach

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Cold night in Melbourne last night so had a few vodka shots to warm the soul……
Had a dream that Sam Walsh and Matt Rowell were playing together….I hope like hell that it’s a premonition!!
Could also be the vodka playing games just to spite me…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Drunk dreaming of sweaty young men doing physical activity in short shorts.

Last edited:

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Good post Arrow.

The next level of evaluation is something we can’t really know. Teague in the past has indicated faith in trusting his players and coaches to do their role and not interfere. Theoretically this shows up in Teagues stubbornness to not change prior to Barkers exit Or close to it. For many many weeks it was same selections and same style that failed.

media pressure built very high and events played out with a modification in how we play, barker gone and the review.

IMO media pressure forced him to then talk about change. Not a great aspect given our coach should be agile and changing all the time regardless of media pressure.

With Barker gone, admitting your current plans are shite is easier. Whether he was to blame is another argument we don’t really need to care about. Barker had a long tenure at Carlton whether either his midfield group or player development was never something that excited us as fans. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t just ok….but we can surely say he wasn’t amazing as the proof of our results and midfield player development illustrate.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you aware, where each coaches responsibility starts and finishes? Because I don't, nor would you

So let's have a crack.

If I win the ball at a stoppage and release it effectively to a "transition player" who then shanks the next disposal, do we blame the stoppage coach?

Add to this, only stats I have (most of us have), are based on a number players contributing to that clearance, yet the player who gains the first possession is awarded the clearance stat

So, given our stats are down on clearances since the bye and marks are up, that would suggest that Teague tweaking the gameplan to add tempo and composure, which has been the BIGGEST improvement since the bye.

Summary

Clearances are down - Less opportunities to control the game/pill

Marks are up - More opportunities to control the game/pill aka more opportunities/better "transition"

This just didn't happen because of a change in assistants, it was by design of the head coach

Just as the gameplan changed from Bolton to Teague, it wasn't driven by assistants

So if you or others want to blame a assistant/s for the teams poor output, then applaud a assistant/s for great output, go right ahead. My critique, good or bad will be directed to the head coach

Another masterful pivot, whereby you refuse to actually answer the question posed and instead pretend that a different question was asked.

The conversation was centred around our poor exits from stoppages. The rushed blind kicks that more often than not fell into the laps of our opponents. It wasn't about feeding the ball to outside runners who then shanked kicks. I could live with feeding the ball to outside runners who then shanked kicks, because that would indicate that our stoppage work was good and we just needed different outside runners.

One wonders why we have assistants if they don't drive anything. Teague could probably just put his gameplan up on the noticeboard and the players could read it at their leisure.

The assistants are highly paid professional coaches. They exist to teach, develop, coach the players under their remit. I haven't apportioned sole blame to Barker, I agree with you and others that the senior coach has ultimate responsibility for both the game plan and the players. But part of the senior coach's job is delegation, and those delegated with certain areas hold responsibility for those areas as well.

Barker is now gone, and even if he wasn't actively detrimental, having someone new take over his area of responsibility seems to have borne fruit.

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
For what?

Realistically unless you retain these types the trade value is negligible and has been ever since DFA came in.
What constitutes 'negligible' is up for debate, especially in the age of pick-for-pick trading and on-trading where you can inch up the order bit by bit. I'm not saying we would get any takers for the players mentioned but I wouldn't be turning away offers as being beneath our dignity.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Another masterful pivot, whereby you refuse to actually answer the question posed and instead pretend that a different question was asked.

The conversation was centred around our poor exits from stoppages. The rushed blind kicks that more often than not fell into the laps of our opponents. It wasn't about feeding the ball to outside runners who then shanked kicks. I could live with feeding the ball to outside runners who then shanked kicks, because that would indicate that our stoppage work was good and we just needed different outside runners.

One wonders why we have assistants if they don't drive anything. Teague could probably just put his gameplan up on the noticeboard and the players could read it at their leisure.

The assistants are highly paid professional coaches. They exist to teach, develop, coach the players under their remit. I haven't apportioned sole blame to Barker, I agree with you and others that the senior coach has ultimate responsibility for both the game plan and the players. But part of the senior coach's job is delegation, and those delegated with certain areas hold responsibility for those areas as well.

Barker is now gone, and even if he wasn't actively detrimental, having someone new take over his area of responsibility seems to have borne fruit.

I have answered each of your scenarios, either you ignore it or u missed it, if its the latter, let me know

Was it our poor exit from stoppages? That would be transition, yeah. But apart from an eye opinion, we don't access to those stats

Yes assistants are vital, their main role is to deliver what the head coach wants, whether or not they totally agree with the concepts

Lastly, you again make an assumption, that someone taking over his role has borne fruit, which completely ignores the changes Teague would have implemented

You and others seem to put more creadence on the responsiblity of an assistant, which is fine, but not something I agree with.

Have the last say if you wish, think we have covered all angles for now

No, that would still be the stoppage.
Transition is how you move the ball from the defensive half into the forwardline. How the ball exits the stoppage is still the stoppage.

I hope they fire whoever came up with the kick it long and hope transfer plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back