Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah for a late, late pick only.
Sick of Geelong giving us crap and we continue to help them get stronger.

Reckon it’s been pretty win-win overall.

The Henderson trade netted us McKay for example. Took on Smedts as steak knives, Lang we gave up a latish pick, Fogarty we brought in for a pick downgrade.

Tuohy is the only one we’d be ruing.

Constable is a nice player, but all he can do is win contested ball. He’s usually gassed by half time and can hardly run by Q4.

Hope not. Getting a player of his skillset from the draft is a difficult task to begin with, and as you say he seems well liked.

I don't see why we would get rid of him either if the list size is again shrinking. He's barely missed a game the entire time he's been at the club, and he's barely sat out of the ones. It would have to take a falling out between club and player for it to occur, and outside of him being west australian and the whole 'he's from somewhere else' rumours that happen whenever a club drafts an interstate player I don't see it.

I think I read somewhere he's really keen to stay but we haven't approached him regarding a contract.

I reckon we will see what we can get for him.

Not doubting his talent, there's just others on the list that are going to force him into a career as a role player, imo; and I'm unsure what that role is. Ideally that high half forward role with stints in the midfield, but to me he still just lacks urgency and desperation.

I think I read somewhere he's really keen to stay but we haven't approached him regarding a contract.

Not doubting his talent, there's just others on the list that are going to force him into a career as a role player, imo; and I'm unsure what that role is. Ideally that high half forward role with stints in the midfield, but to me he still just lacks urgency and desperation.

Could also just be that he's a little down our list of priority re-signings, and any contract offers will be made once we've signed everyone we deem more important and perhaps made some more headway on player acquisitions as well. Not unwanted, but not wanted as much as others.

He may need to just settle for the leftovers, and if they're not enough then we'd probably be open to facilitating a trade.

I don't think anyone cares about this as much as you. Including Kemp.

Our raiding of Geelong has netted us many successful players.
Reckon there are quite a few (has been discussed by many others since the sub rule was introduced in preseason) that care about this. Debut without potentially seeing any time is like paying to see your favourite band in a stadium but having to stand outside the whole time.

Still, rather see him notch up game #1 than not at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, the only way I would see him leaving is if the club wanted him for a trade option. Maybe the Cerra rumours that have done the rounds!

I prefer to keep SPS for team cohesion and "culture" although I do see Cerra as a bit of an upgrade.

I don't think SPS has in any way reached his ceiling and I love the idea of home grown talent maturing and seeing success with the rest of the team.

Also the wanchors are gonna want more than just SPS and then the price starts to become too great.
I think overmuch is being made of smoke where Cerra is concerned. He has no reason to leave, and they've no reason to let him go; the only way you get him away from Perth is via overpaying, both in terms of contract and picks.

Any analysis we - as Carlton fans - can make of Fremantle is subject to our bias; we don't think they're much chop because we've a strong record against them, and they're a year or two behind us rebuild wise. The seeming parity in results between the teams comes courtesy of Mundy and a home ground advantage that we don't possess against the majority of the teams in the comp. Any read we have of their direction is a bit suspect, and AFL players only leave their club due to two things; a much larger contract offer (and Freo are reputedly offering him 600 thousand, which in my opinion is a good 50 thousand more than he's worth at the moment if not the full 100 thousand) or a falling out between the club and the player.

I'm not seeing a falling out over there. I'm seeing an avaricious player agent seeing what offers he can get to increase Freo's offer, and using the 'he's Victorian, and thus he wants to play in Victoria (every second week, because while the Vics wind up flying less than interstate teams they're still operating away from Victoria an awful lot)' card to see what he can get from the Vic clubs.

And there's an interesting thing going on here; these rumours are not really coming from the club or from SPS, but externalities. He doesn't seem to want away, and we don't seem to want him to leave. The only reason we would get rid of him is to upgrade in his position, and Cerra isn't that.

Reckon it’s been pretty win-win overall.

The Henderson trade netted us McKay for example. Took on Smedts as steak knives, Lang we gave up a latish pick, Fogarty we brought in for a pick downgrade.

Tuohy is the only one we’d be ruing.

Constable is a nice player, but all he can do is win contested ball. He’s usually gassed by half time and can hardly run by Q4.
We have had an over abundance of steak knives over the years, in fact many more knives than steaks.....

What could of been if Smedts, Lang, Palmer etc all remained in their previous knifeblocks.....

Just maybe our list could of been better balanced and maybe unearthed another young promising rookie type.

At any other club - and in any other year except the last two - he'd have spent the last six weeks in the VFL playing midfield and pushing his case to play as deserving of a centre square rotation. I mean, it's what he asked to do just after the bye.

I'm struggling to see how we as a club can come to the conclusion that SPS is a worse option than - say - Gibbons, Setterfield or Newnes, if raw list positions are the currency we're discussing. Hell, throw Boyd in that list, too; bit unfair, but one of these two blokes has played complete games as a small defender at AFL level.

Seeing as we're a board of extremes, I suppose it behoves me to admit that I really don't want to see SPS at another club. He's one of my favourites, and with his abilities and skills he's an extremely difficult player to replace in terms of what he is capable of.

You are correct though, in wondering what his role would be in the ones; to this point, he's operated without a set position. The development team (if list management opt to keep him) need to decide what he's going to be (a HBF, a wing, an in/out mid, or a HFF) and develop him for weeks consecutively in that role. Do it at AFL level or VFL level; I don't care overmuch. It's crucial to allow him to work on his game in position specific ways for him to really come along as we all want him to do.

Last edited:
You are correct though, in wondering what his role would be in the ones; to this point, he's operated without a set position. The development team (if list management opt to keep him) need to decide what he's going to be (a HBF, a wing, an in/out mid, or a HFF) and develop him for weeks consecutively in that role. Do it at AFL level or VFL level; I don't care overmuch. It's crucial to allow him to work on his game in position specific ways for him to really come along as we all want him to do.

Got to give value to get value and you yourself said we shouldn't be recruiting players without a real position.

I like SPS but I dont think he's the vital cog in our next successful team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back