Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloke is potentially coaching Hawthorn to its first spoon in 50 years.

In my opinion, Clarkson's best/prime days of coaching are well past him.

Getting him as a director of coaching/senior assistant to Teague I could live with, but I do worry some fans are placing too much faith in Clarkson ànd his abilities to make us a contender.

List still has sizable holes in it.

Hawthorn’s list is cooked.

This is pretty much the first year they’ve prioritised player young players, and they have had barely any games between them.

His development is still top shelf. We have seen that with Jiath, Scrimshaw, Day. Young players look far more AFL ready than ours do.

For mine its not a formality that Clarkson coaches Carlton next season as Collingwood have a head start on us as they have an actual vacancy and they are clearly keen given everyone knows that they have already approached him.

Clarko has only left because he's been offered (and accepted) a job already. He notified the club last night and that was that. Queue todays 'announcement'.

The decision is already made. Just need to wait and see who he's agreed to sign with now.

Very smart tactics by Clarkson secures is Million dollar CHQ. from Jeff Kenneth and suddenly & parts with Hawthorn football Club. Smooth operator indeed, if he chooses CFC as his new home, we should see a more astute game plan at least.

Clarko has only left because he's been offered (and accepted) a job already. He notified the club last night and that was that. Queue todays 'announcement'.

The decision is already made. Just need to wait and see who he's agreed to sign with now.

Where did you hear that Mal?

Where did you hear that Mal?

That's not a rumour, that's just an opinion.

One I would happily bet my house on though.

His management would have been sounded out by at least 2 clubs (us and the Pies) and also likely by the AFL (in co-operation with the Suns). We know that has happened (those clubs would be negligent if they haven't).

Offers were made, for big bucks at at least three clubs, he considered those offers in light of being stuck at the Hawks for a year doing a job he really didnt want to be doing, and after getting shafted by a club he stuck by, made the call this week, and notified the club last night.

They then raced out the 'statement' this morning.

Literally the only reason he walks out on the club with 4 rounds to go is if he has agreed to coach elsewhere. It's then a conflict for the club, and he gets booted straight away.

The deal is all but done already. He'll have a handshake 'in principle' agreement in place with the destination club already.

It's probably the Gold Coast, but Carlton are my second guess.

It'll probably leak who within the next few days. If it's us, and Teague has a shocker tonight, we'll know on Saturday.

Revisionist history.

Everyone - players, team, supporters, media - on the Teague train. Everyone hypercritical of Judd's training wheels comment at the time. Everyone on board until season turned sour in the second half of last season.

Some doubters and critics started in that period. Most happy to follow the finals narrative that the club fed into entering this season.

I wonder, had Teague's list management not undermined him (lack of talls, etc.) how many more games we would have won this year, and how differently people would feel about Teague now.

Sure, the gameplan is failing but would personally love to know how much it is failing due to the lack of personnel Teague has had to work around. He's certainly gotten no favors from Austin and company.

Hmmm, the cutting Goddard, Ben, Macreadie and Kreuzer to be replaced by OMac was not great for a list balance, but also hardly the main problem for our poor year, and it would seem that the decision to keep (and play) so many old blokes would rest on Teague's shoulders.

The end of 2020 was extremely disappointing, a massive choke with clear problems with our system, and by round 2 this year you could see that Teague had done nothing over the off-season to address them.
No new assistants, Teague's decision.
Overruling Russell to play unfit players, Teague's decision.
Continually backing older players at the expense of kids, Teague's decision.
Playing players out of position and stalling their improvement, Teague's decision.

Sure, if De Koening and Charlie and Marchbank were fit all year, we'd be in a better position. But Teague can't be blaming Austin for our appalling year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, the cutting Goddard, Ben, Macreadie and Kreuzer to be replaced by OMac was not great for a list balance, but also hardly the main problem for our poor year, and it would seem that the decision to keep (and play) so many old blokes would rest on Teague's shoulders.

Disagree.

The club knew that Casboult was on his last legs at the end of 2020. What did they do? They go into the season with Levi in a position where he's the backup key forward, backup key defender, backup ruckman. They knew he was going to have an injury interrupted preseason. They hoped he would recover in time for the season. In short, they entered the season with severely depleted key forward, defender, and ruck stocks and hoped the sticky tape would hold up. Poor Levi.

But that's not all.

What's the one area of weakness that everyone was able to identify as the weakest area of the list from last year?

We lack AFL grade midfielders with the proven ability to stand up to the rigors of AFL football over an entire season.

What did the club do to address this after last season?

Aside from signing a premier free agent who not once over his eight-year AFL career has proven that he could play as a permanent midfielder the club didn't do a damn thing to improve this glaring deficiency.

Now, I personally didn't mind the addition of Williams. I was, and still am, excited by what he can provide the team in full flight. Hopefully, he gets himself up over the summer and is able to do exactly what we hope he's capable of. However, in and of itself, the Williams signing was only ever going to be a part of the solution.

Even with internal development - and we've had some - we're still agonizingly deficient on AFL-ready midfielders.

As a result of piss poor list management, we:

• Lack depth in key positions to the point where we didn't have a genuine AFL key forward last week
  • Lack depth in the ruck position whereby Jack Silvagni has to play as our backup ruck
  • Lack depth in AFL-ready midfielders to the point whereby it's not a stretch to argue the vast majority of AFL clubs have twice the depth we do
  • Failed to even address other glaring list deficiencies (e.g. we've lacked a lockdown small defender since we traded Tuohy in 2016!)
It's more than just lacking talls. We have a ton of list deficiencies that have mostly been failed to address.

And yet... we're going to fall a couple of games short of finals with a game plan most will admit has significant issues.

The list management is complicit in Teague's failure as a coach as much as what he himself is.

Regardless if whether you think Teague is the right coach for us or not going forwards, I think he is being placed in a very unfair position that must not be healthy for his emotional or mental health wellbeing, esp with the bombshell about Clarkson.

Surely the club should know by now whether DT is our guy or not going forwards..

Teague deserves better imo.

Teague signed up for the big bucks and the big chair. He knew what he was getting himself into. Simply corporate politics. Thus the financial incentive a role like this attracts.

His management would have been sounded out by at least 2 clubs (us and the Pies) and also likely by the AFL (in co-operation with the Suns). We know that has happened (those clubs would be negligent if they haven't).

Offers were made, for big bucks at at least three clubs, he considered those offers in light of being stuck at the Hawks for a year doing a job he really didnt want to be doing, and after getting shafted by a club he stuck by, made the call this week, and notified the club last night.

Literally the only reason he walks out on the club with 4 rounds to go is if he has agreed to coach elsewhere. It's then a conflict for the club, and he gets booted straight away.

The deal is all but done already. He'll have a handshake 'in principle' agreement in place with the destination club already.

It'll probably leak who within the next few days. If it's us, and Teague has a shocker tonight, we'll know on Saturday.

This is absolute common sense. You don't do what he did today without a deal in place.

Completely agree. Clarko is headed elsewhere. I can't see any other legitimate reason for Clarko to be paid out and leaving today otherwise - they would simply keep him and send him off in style at the end of the year.

I wouldn't lay that bet if I were you.

Since Hafey in 1976 there have been about 11 premiership coaches that have gone on to coach another team and only 3 (less than 30%) have won a flag later.

Assuming all or, at least, most won at their first club and add another 8 (at least) since who've won at their first club that is just short of a 50% strike rate.
There's been about a 20% strike rate this century across all coaches. I'll take 30% (small sample size aside).

Disagree.

The club knew that Casboult was on his last legs at the end of 2020. What did they do? They go into the season with Levi in a position where he's the backup key forward, backup key defender, backup ruckman. They knew he was going to have an injury interrupted preseason. They hoped he would recover in time for the season. In short, they entered the season with severely depleted key forward, defender, and ruck stocks and hoped the sticky tape would hold up. Poor Levi.

But that's not all.

What's the one area of weakness that everyone was able to identify as the weakest area of the list from last year?

We lack AFL grade midfielders with the proven ability to stand up to the rigors of AFL football over an entire season.

What did the club do to address this after last season?

Aside from signing a premier free agent who not once over his eight-year AFL career has proven that he could play as a permanent midfielder the club didn't do a damn thing to improve this glaring deficiency.

Now, I personally didn't mind the addition of Williams. I was, and still am, excited by what he can provide the team in full flight. Hopefully, he gets himself up over the summer and is able to do exactly what we hope he's capable of. However, in and of itself, the Williams signing was only ever going to be a part of the solution.

Even with internal development - and we've had some - we're still agonizingly deficient on AFL-ready midfielders.

As a result of piss poor list management, we:

• Lack depth in key positions to the point where we didn't have a genuine AFL key forward last week
  • Lack depth in the ruck position whereby Jack Silvagni has to play as our backup ruck
  • Lack depth in AFL-ready midfielders to the point whereby it's not a stretch to argue the vast majority of AFL clubs have twice the depth we do
  • Failed to even address other glaring list deficiencies (e.g. we've lacked a lockdown small defender since we traded Tuohy in 2016!)
It's more than just lacking talls. We have a ton of list deficiencies that have mostly been failed to address.

And yet... we're going to fall a couple of games short of finals with a game plan most will admit has significant issues.

The list management is complicit in Teague's failure as a coach as much as what he himself is.

Our midfield woes are more structure and system based, rather than talent. It's a coaching issue (not only Teague, Barker and Stanton as well). But we had some good young mids coming off good pre-seasons and we slaughtered them once the season actually started. Thankfully Dow has finally got a proper go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back