Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Having just listened to the full interview, I think SOS was actually quite refreshing with his comments and besides gunning for Liddle, he didn’t really go hard at the club in other ways. If anyone hasn’t actually listened to the full interview and are just reading the click bait snippets then I recommend a full listen for context.

Key points reading between the lines:

-When SOS came in there was a specific strategy to bank cap space and pay limited amounts to players which is starting to pay dividends now
-Liddle overrode this strategy when it came to Betts with the justification of increasing membership
-Differing priorities of club staff when it came to targets last year (Ellis/Butler etc)
-SOS’s exit handled extremely poorly even if it may have been inevitable/untenable. To blame his kids was not appropriate.
-SOS is still big on Dow and McGovern if they can get their bodies right
-SOS really likes Sam De Koning and thinks GWS should go after him
-Reckon he also put a bit of heat on Papley’s manager for not “conditioning” Sydney early enough for a trade
-Wouldn’t put too much stock on his Saad comments. Sounded like he was just giving his opinion on the situation and how the situation is viewed behind closed doors at both clubs

Call it sour grapes or whatever, and whilst I agree the timing is not great, I genuinely believe that SOS loves the club and his intention is to put heat on Liddle. He must genuinely believe that he is no good for the club moving forward and listening to some of his statements I tend to agree.

To all those abusing SOS (beyond a clip at the timing of his comments), just remember how much he gave for the club onfield, remember he resurrected the club in 2015, remember if it wasn’t for him we’d have that spud Brandon Ellis on our list being paid handsomely instead of Martin. Appreciate his efforts because it’s thanks to him we are in a position to be able to attract quality players this year (and last year).
I think you've nailed it, respectfully.

And also (as I heard it) that what they did for Betts contradicted something they'd told someone else around the same time.
The other point Sos was trying to make was he and his team (McKay, Trigg, Sam Power) had worked really hard to get our list and TPP in order so they could keep players happy now but also down the track when they deserved or earned an increase as well as have some left over for some luxury spending.

The reason they got to this point is because they didn’t over promise or overpay for players like Betts ahead of loyal 17 year veterans like Simmo.

Sos was hired to be the LM and was undermined by Liddle, it became untenable and now others will look like heroes spending the money that Sos and his teams hard work had set up across 4 years.

It was the comments back to back - i wouldn't give up a top 10 pick, it'll probably take a top 5 player from the club or a high draft pick, up to Carlton to do the deal now.

It read, to me, like setting up a scenario where if the club overpays then SOS can play the "I wouldn't have paid that much, the new guy has been bent over", especially given SOS doesn't appear to have said what he would pay...just what he wouldn't. Does Pick 11 get his seal of approval, or is that still overs. Would he be driving for 27, and if so why wouldn't he provide some context around why he think that would be a suitable price?

Think youre a little off here. Hes presenting both sides of the argument objectively. Thought it was unbiased myself

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Silvagni: Ultimately I look back and we all agreed that Eddie Betts should come to Carlton, but it was at a price. We all agreed on that but when someone from above decides to change those rules ... our list wasn&#39;t in a good state and neither was our salary cap.</p>&mdash; Garry and Tim (@SENBreakfast) <a href="">October 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apologies sirs, listened to the video above. Twit was misleading

It was the comments back to back - i wouldn't give up a top 10 pick, it'll probably take a top 5 player from the club or a high draft pick, up to Carlton to do the deal now.

It read, to me, like setting up a scenario where if the club overpays then SOS can play the "I wouldn't have paid that much, the new guy has been bent over", especially given SOS doesn't appear to have said what he would pay...just what he wouldn't. Does Pick 11 get his seal of approval, or is that still overs. Would he be driving for 27, and if so why wouldn't he provide some context around why he think that would be a suitable price?

Again, you haven't posted SOS's comments verbatim

He gave an insight of what both clubs would want as an outcome, nothing startling in his views

SOS vindicating why he got the arse. SOS first.. everything else a distant second.
What a ******* sook. Will struggle to work in clubland again..

Edit: using the old 'Liddle isn't a Carlton man' perfectly sums up his archaic attitude. Where have 'Carlton men' got us in the last 20 years? I just want Liddle to be the best man for the job, regardless of where he came from.
But who will get us O’Shea, Palmer, Bugg, Lamb, Gorringe, Smedts, Lang, McGovern, Sumner, Shaw, Kerridge, Finbar, etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SoS is being paid by SEN media to be on Trade Radio from Monday; the timing is for promotion and the main motivation is probably money.

Don't forget the bit where he has intimate insight into trade week, relevant expertise on trading and that people will want to listen to what he has to say.

Have to wonder what SOS meant about both the list and cap not being in a good place last year (when we got Betts back).

He built the list, and personally I think it looks pretty good, and we're supposed to have heaps of cap room.

Anyone know anything more about that statement? Just seems a weird one to throw in there when it contradicts what most of us seem to think/know.
Wasn't he talking about when he took over? Not last year

Don't worry about this SOS stuff, it's the perfect time for it to come out - the Grand Final, Jeremy Cameron and Brad Crouch dominate the headlines today. We've still snagged Saad and Williams thusfar and will look to add Oliver or Wines should it be feasible.

Sounded genuinely hurt indeed and sounded like he needed to get it off his chest and set the record straight.
I don't like talking about myself, so here goes all the reasons why the club has done me over even though I was only likely to stay for one more year.....

Completely unprofessional and self promoting his upcoming stint on trade radio. This "me first" approach is exactly why Cain would have expressed a concern about his conflict of interest.

Having just listened to the full interview, I think SOS was actually quite refreshing with his comments and besides gunning for Liddle, he didn’t really go hard at the club in other ways. If anyone hasn’t actually listened to the full interview and are just reading the click bait snippets then I recommend a full listen for context.

Key points reading between the lines:

-When SOS came in there was a specific strategy to bank cap space and pay limited amounts to players which is starting to pay dividends now
-Liddle overrode this strategy when it came to Betts with the justification of increasing membership
-Differing priorities of club staff when it came to targets last year (Ellis/Butler etc)
-SOS’s exit handled extremely poorly even if it may have been inevitable/untenable. To blame his kids was not appropriate.
-SOS is still big on Dow and McGovern if they can get their bodies right
-SOS really likes Sam De Koning and thinks GWS should go after him
-Reckon he also put a bit of heat on Papley’s manager for not “conditioning” Sydney early enough for a trade
-Wouldn’t put too much stock on his Saad comments. Sounded like he was just giving his opinion on the situation and how the situation is viewed behind closed doors at both clubs

Call it sour grapes or whatever, and whilst I agree the timing is not great, I genuinely believe that SOS loves the club and his intention is to put heat on Liddle. He must genuinely believe that he is no good for the club moving forward and listening to some of his statements I tend to agree.

To all those abusing SOS (beyond a clip at the timing of his comments), just remember how much he gave for the club onfield, remember he resurrected the club in 2015, remember if it wasn’t for him we’d have that spud Brandon Ellis on our list being paid handsomely instead of Martin. Appreciate his efforts because it’s thanks to him we are in a position to be able to attract quality players this year (and last year).

Appreciate the comments. I haven't listened yet, but it sounds like a clear division of SOS v Liddle rather than SOS v the CFC which we suspected anyway.

TBH though the Betts thing sounds a little off, and if SOS is pushing that angle I'm not 100% he is being truthful. The club-wide messaging, including SOS' own statements at the time reflected our interest in adding Betts to be an on-field leader and mentor in the front-half, and also because we knew his appointment would have the domino effect of attracting other player to the club: Martin, (Papley), Williams etc. I'm not buying it as a revenue raising exercise, even if we knew adding Betts would add some additional interest and probably sell more memberships going into the season.

Hindsight has now shown that shunning Butler was a bad move, and SOS' indifference in even interviewing him has potentially cost us an AA calibre player . Huge miss from SOS here.

I don't think Ellis was coming to Carlton either way. He would have backed Cartlon over GC if we'd offered him the same amount of money, but they outbid us by a long way and he was keen to join anyway with other mates up there. If we grabbed him for 500k pa I doubt that'd have any impact on bringing in guys like Martin and Williams.

Overall we will look back at SOS' time as list manager fondly, but there were obvious reasons for his dismissal which actually sound even more clear now having aired some of his grievances. Giving him carte blanc at the start of his contract was probably something we shouldn't have done, and worked him into a position he felt he and his decisions were untoucable.

That being said, with those decisions in place, the ball is now firmly in Liddle's court to deliver.

Last edited:
Appreciate the comments. I haven't listened yet, but it sounds like a clear division of SOS v Liddle rather than SOS v the CFC which we suspected anyway.
Problem with SOS vs Liddle is that he's throwing the whole club under the bus to get his "revenge". Dragging it up again does nothing to help Jack.

Don't forget the bit where he has intimate insight into trade week, relevant expertise on trading and that people will want to listen to what he has to say.

I thought that was implied in the money paid. Although others get paid without the same insights, expertise as SoS no doubt.

Being SEN, it’s also the chance for controversy as much as insight, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back