Bluemour Melting Pot XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the Bluemour File OP, this is a thread for discussing Carlton related rumours.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bluemour-file.1085141/

Rumour posters should post their rumours in both threads for those that like just to read rumours and for those that like to have get lost in their rumour files.

Remember ... #Bluemour

Continued from here ...

Continued here:

Last edited by a moderator:

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I still think we need to find another Ruck somewhere.. or are we really going to go with just De Koning and Pittonet.. both go down, and Casboult becomes No. 1 Ruck?

I think we could take the risk going into 2020. Otherwise recruit a mature aged player purely as a break glass backup.

We don't need to draft a young ruck...they wouldn't be ready anyway and Pitto & TDK are both young and one of them look to be our long term no.1.

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
I think 2 true rucks in a squad is ok. Some games we’ll play both, some only one. If one goes down we have Levi for now. I bet we are a chance to draft Walshy’s little brother (who isn’t little).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, what is he, over 200cm?

CarltonFamily-10.jpg

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Unfortunately I remember and I am scarred for life.

I can still remember feeling very uneasy watching the Channel 7 footage in the rooms before the teams even came out to play.

Our boys were all doing half-assed exercises, the odd handball or kick, jogging on the spot, patting one another on the back etc. and the Baby * were all completely switched on, hammering into a punching bag, and firing one another up etc.

We did not even look like winning, even before the first bounce.
Mate I knew it wasn’t our year after umpire Russo robbed Diesel of the Brownlow in favour of Wanganeen although that was always on the cards as it was officially “The year of the aboriginal” in Australia that year and he was the first aboriginal to win Charlie.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d prefer Caldwell pick 11 in a strong draft, quite exciting , powerful & explosive mid, will be 21 end next season, so plenty of scope for him to develop & mature his natural ability as long as Jye is aligned with Teaugy & team culture otherwise a waste of our time.
Dunkley would be plug and play type midfielder, in a fresh environment may be a positive for him & baggers, again mentality and attitude, must align with team culture & Teaugy.

i think weitering should have a go at a ruck-roving role next year, thoughts?
it's out there but we'll never know if we don't give him a go.............you utter tool..........

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
I think we could take the risk going into 2020. Otherwise recruit a mature aged player purely as a break glass backup.

We don't need to draft a young ruck...they wouldn't be ready anyway and Pitto & TDK are both young and one of them look to be our long term no.1.

There can't be too many mature aged players for that purpose though? Shaun McKernan? Ryan Abbott?

You mean trade, rather than draft?

Yes, trade. I don't know who's available but again, someone like a Brander and Arr0w mentioned Payne, who looks like what we should we after.
Probably someone in their early 20's but has all the hallmarks of developing into a quality defender and is prepared to develop a year or so, if need be.

Maybe that player is already with us in Macreadie, but it's getting ever so much harder for us to pin our hopes on him, alone.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Re Treloar my only concern is his hamstrings and a supposedly big contract - though if he comes to us I think it can be re-negotiated?

I dunno, I again look at a team like Richmond and outside a few stars (Dusty being the obvious one), I actually think there are plenty in that team that aren't the best kicks. However, pumping the ball inside F50 is basically their game style and it works for them...Geelong defenders took a lot of intercept marks or were in best position for a lot of entries last night, but eventually got overwhelmed from the pressure and sheer number of entries.

Also, it's amazing how even an average player's kicking skills seemingly improve because of a good game plan/structure and Richmond's team are all hard runners...the receivers push out into space so the ball carrier has an easy handpass or kick...you don't actually often see them thread the needle with pin point passes that require supreme kicking skills. Their hard running also allows them to get more numbers to more contests, more often.

Treloar would certainly help us get the ball moving our way and as long as he can kick it long to our key forward's advantage or even 50/50, good things will happen. Stack our side with elite and hard runners and it's amazing how much our skills would look like they've improved, simply because the players have easier options to pass to players out in space.
Richmond also push there half forwards up to play as extra mids while also allowing them an extra in defence, they then just swarm the ball forward through handball and run or overwhelm the opponent through sheer numbers, not sure a lot of Richmond’s players would be any good playing another brand at a different club but by god it works for them and it pisses me off.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
There can't be too many mature aged players for that purpose though? Shaun McKernan? Ryan Abbott?

Yeah not sure but IF we were going to pick up a purely depth ruck in case of an injury crisis, i'd be thinking someone like these 2 on a really cheap contract and pick up as DFA or something. 1 year contract, see what transpires end of 2021.

Otherwise i'd be prepared to go with just Pitto/TDK/Cas. It's not that out of the ordinary to other clubs...we're used to an injury prone Kreuzer meaning we needed lots of ruck depth but if you have a durable ruck should be OK.

I want to change my mind, but the more I think about it, the less I want us trading for another midfielder that will tie our hands for the rest of this year and next year. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through....

I think we are so light on for mids, that we are only an injury or two away from catastrophe.
Id like one more bona fide mid to come in.
My opinion for what it's worth is that we need 3-4 elite/A Grade mids with a strong supporting cast (playing and depth) to genuinely compete.

I rate Cripps as our only genuine elite/AGrader. With Walsh if he plays there, and Williams to come in.

Tigers - Martin, Prestia, Cotchin,Edwards, Lambert, Graham
Cats - Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan, Parfitt, Menagola.
Bulldogs - Bont, Macrea, Hunter, Smith, Libba
Demons - Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw
Port - Wines, Rockliffe, Boak, Amon
Lions- Zorko, Neal, McLuggage, Lyons
Pies - Adams, Pendlebury,Treloar, Sidebottom

We definitely need another A grade mid.

Diamond Jim 007

Blueblood
Aug 28, 2019
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
Henry Walsh in the draft Sams brother is the answer.Ruckman that can develop very nicely with PIno and TDK Doing duties over next couple of seasons. We have Levi for ruck duties if both get injured.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, trade. I don't know who's available but again, someone like a Brander and Arr0w mentioned Payne, who looks like what we should we after.
Probably someone in their early 20's but has all the hallmarks of developing into a quality defender and is prepared to develop a year or so, if need be.

Maybe that player is already with us in Macreadie, but it's getting ever so much harder for us to pin our hopes on him, alone.

Reckon it would be hard to pinch anyone of note like Payne when we can't offer first team opportunities anytime soon.

Jones is only 29...if his form holds he should still be around for a few years. He's been solid for us with his intensity and effort. Weitering is a lock. And I don't think the club even wants to play 3 big KPDs...happy for the third tall to be Plowman who is flexible. Then have the smaller guys for some run.

For now, in case of injury Cas can play defence, or give Marchy/Macreadie the call up to cover for a while.

I reckon next year's trade period is more likely to bring in a KPD...when Jones is 30 and Cas likely retiring. A better idea of whether Marchy/Macreadie will make it or not. More opportunity which would make us more attractive for a Payne/B McKay type.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

I would still target a KPD, even with Macreadie if he comes on, as he is mobile/agile enough to also play as a 3rd tall

If we keep pick 7, I would draft Cox, otherwise I would try and target a Payne, Ballenden type this trade period

it's out there but we'll never know if we don't give him a go.............you utter tool..........
just got a like off a poster been here nearly as long as odn...........respect...........

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I’ve been banging on about Ben McKay since North went into self destruct mode....he is our KPD requirement.
Austin, go fetch him !!
Yeah I pegged him as a great Jones replacement earlier in the year and he has improved his stocks even more since then, would be perfect if we could get it done imo, a McKay at either end yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back