Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we lose Pitt can we play finals with Levi as the number 1 ruck for an extended period?
It depends on a few things. McEvoy is not a good tap ruckman, yet he's the best component of a kick behind in the comp, and he was fairly decent around the ground overhead and by hand or foot. The question shouldn't be is Levi a good ruck, but how is our setup so unbelievably reliant on our ruckman winning the tap?

In any case, the answer to your question - in my opinion - is yes, provided we can either win the clearance in spite of losing the tap - which we won't always, he's really not that bad - and/or us being able to turn opposition clearances into turnovers. The idea is, use what he can do well - field kicking, contested marking, endurance and strength - instead of using good tapwork to compensate for poor midfield setups.

Last edited:
Well, we will add a bow this year in speed...and the beauty of that added speed is they also have a defensive mindset not just take off and expect a teammate to do the defensive stuff.

We need cover for tall forward/back first then ruck and hope this years draft has decent tall stocks at pick 18 in the draft!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well, we will add a bow this year in speed...and the beauty of that added speed is they also have a defensive mindset not just take off and expect a teammate to do the defensive stuff.

We need cover for tall forward/back first then ruck and hope this years draft has decent tall stocks at pick 18 in the draft!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not many talls projected to go in the top 20 this year, Van Rooyen, Lukic, Bazzo

I'm thinking the exact opposite. What's the point of drafting a ruck, especially with our first round pick? Seems like a waste of young talent if TDK will be our future.

Get an experienced head who has been in the system a while as an option for emergencies. TDK and Pitto have played a combined 29 games, what will a draftee add to our ruck stocks? He'll develop for 4-5 years, and will request a trade due to lack of opportunity.

Just my opinion, not sure if anyone else agrees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking the exact opposite. What's the point of drafting a ruck, especially with our first round pick? Seems like a waste of young talent if TDK will be our future.

Get an experienced head who has been in the system a while as an option for emergencies. TDK and Pitto have played a combined 29 games, what will a draftee add to our ruck stocks? He'll develop for 4-5 years, and will request a trade due to lack of opportunity.

100% agree. Spend our first pick on a tall forward, whether in the draft or by trade.

We drafted TDK, Charlie, Harry, JSOS, Kerr and even Weitering as KPF options, as well as trading in Kennedy and McGovern (who while not having the size both are capable of playing as the target ahead of the ball); we now have Charlie, Gov and Harry as true KPF options, Jack as a midsized transition player/fallback KPF and TDK as a ruckman. In essence, we have 3 genuine KPF on the list in Harry, Charlie and Casboult, with Gov as cover and Kennedy as a third target/inside mid. Cas is inside his last 5 years; he could last all five, or he could be done inside 2 rounds next year.

We need to find the backup, and KPF's can be turned into KPD's if it's not working.

No-one else agrees ........

That's why I reckon Majak Daw would be a handy rookie pickup if we had room .

100% agree. Spend our first pick on a tall forward, whether in the draft or by trade.

We drafted TDK, Charlie, Harry, JSOS, Kerr and even Weitering as KPF options, as well as trading in Kennedy and McGovern (who while not having the size both are capable of playing as the target ahead of the ball); we now have Charlie, Gov and Harry as true KPF options, Jack as a midsized transition player/fallback KPF and TDK as a ruckman. In essence, we have 3 genuine KPF on the list in Harry, Charlie and Casboult, with Gov as cover and Kennedy as a third target/inside mid. Cas is inside his last 5 years; he could last all five, or he could be done inside 2 rounds next year.

We need to find the backup, and KPF's can be turned into KPD's if it's not working.
In that case wouldn't a KPD be better this year with Liam Jones only say 3 years left ?

In that case wouldn't a KPD be better this year with Liam Jones only say 3 years left ?
I think both.

In terms of forwards, with Charlie down indefinitely, Levi who doesn't have too long to go, and Gov/JSOS/Kennedy who don't really have the height or 40+ goal per year scoring ability of good KPFs, we are lacking depth in that department (especially once Levi retires in a few years time).

Defence is a slightly different story. Jones and Weiters are really great for us, however we are missing proper cover if one of them was to be injured. While we don't need another star KPD (unlike our forward line), some good quality B grade depth would be very handy.

So what do we do? OMac I think will get the job done down back, some mature ruck depth/experience would be nice, and a young KPF (potentially with a 2021 first rounder if we don't use it on a Merrett/Kelly) would be what I'm looking at.

Definitely some work with that spine stil needed to be done.

From the games I have watched Levi ruck in, when he wins the tap it goes to one of our players. This not something I could say about our other rucks.
I think Levi's ruck work is underrated. For a guy who is not tall for a ruckman he seems to win his fair share of taps and direct them to our players. His bodywork in a ruck contest is quite good. I actually think his tap work was better than Matty K's. Kreuze was better when the ball hit the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back