Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a look at the firsty year players Essendone and Sydney rolled out tonight - then have a look at Dow/Lob/SPS in comparison 4 years later....makes my blood boil tbh how all those high draft picks have delivered ...squat in comparison...

Have a look at the firsty year players Essendone and Sydney rolled out tonight - then have a look at Dow/Lob/SPS in comparison 4 years later....makes my blood boil tbh how all those high draft picks have delivered ...squat in comparison...

SPS and Dow were both very decent in their first season.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t think any played better than Sams last game

54u7ud.jpg

jelly

Senior List
Oct 20, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Which first year players specifically?

SPS had some amazing games in his first year, including a 21 touch 2 goal game.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Which first year players specifically?

SPS had some amazing games in his first year, including a 21 touch 2 goal game.
Yeah but why bother continuing to play him where he could keep doing that and improving on those stat lines. Who needs an inside midfielder who kicks goals. Pssht better served as an average defender clearly. *rolls eyes*.

PUT HIM BACK IN THE ******* MIDDLE. OF THE. PARK.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
It may deserve a place in the unpopular opinions thread but I'm a lot more confident in Dow being a difference maker than DC or Setterfield.

SPS initially had people excited with his work off a HBF following the transition from Bolton to Teague - I think SPS & Willo suffer as a result of how our defence and midfield are structured as they're left playing as stoppers rather than providing distribution off a flank which plays to their strengths.
Personally, I'd have Doc & SPS switch roles,
SPS is a better user but lacks the frame to consistently compete for deep f50 entries.
Doc is a better reader of the play & should focus on beating his opponent and peeling off to provide support to Plow or Jones as necessary which despite his best efforts, SPS isn't really capable of..
Similarly, Doc running out of d50 and bombing long to a contest etc isn't overly helpful particularly as our pressure forward of the ball isn't great by any means & results in the ball going over Docs head to a unmarked opponent for an unpressured f50 entry for the opposition.
The weekend, admittedly against weakened opposition, shows what our side is capable of if we get our matchups behind the ball & pressure on the ball carrier right.
This allows for quick ball movement and easier, less static f50 entries which gives Harry and eventually Charlie opportunities to kick some pretty decent bags.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
My mistake, it turns out the one I was thinking of was this one, the one you mentioned against GC.

Flying in fear of doing what we're wont to do on this board and start a shitfight over something nominally meaningless, when I say burst what do you take from that? Because I'd certainly argue that there's a number of examples in that tape that display him getting separation from a stoppage and disposing to advantage.

I'd say most of those examples he's already in space, it looks like a lot of the time his man as peeled off him. Remember he's been compared to the playstyle of Judd and Dangerfield who would get the ball in congestion and burst out of the pack with it. Those comparisons were made in his draft year and have never really ceased, despite him never really doing that. That's what I'm referring to.

Aside from that I really don't see him pulling away from anyone in that video tbf, aside from the one I already mentioned being the Hawthorn goal. Could you tell me which highlights you're referring to?

Maybe one where he's running away from Daniel is another? But he's not really pulling away from him he just has a step on him, and Daniel isn't exactly fast.

Fwiw you can have a disagreement without it being a shitfight, I'm certainly not particularly riled up over this.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
SPS does look stronger this year, and I think he needed to be. He's below average speed wise and until now he was very slight, but he seems to have found his man body to a degree. He's tried a few times to stiff arm and shrug tackles, a few have worked a few haven't, but on the weekend he was breaking more than he had previously.

He's still not suited to the backline mind, but with ball in hand he's been getting better, with the weekend gone being his best game so far.

I'd say most of those examples he's already in space, it looks like a lot of the time his man as peeled off him. Remember he's been compared to the playstyle of Judd and Dangerfield who would get the ball in congestion and burst out of the pack with it. Those comparisons were made in his draft year and have never really ceased, despite him never really doing that. That's what I'm referring to.

Aside from that I really don't see him pulling away from anyone in that video tbf, aside from the one I already mentioned being the Hawthorn goal. Could you tell me which highlights you're referring to?

Maybe one where he's running away from Daniel is another? But he's not really pulling away from him he just has a step on him, and Daniel isn't exactly fast.

Fwiw you can have a disagreement without it being a shitfight, I'm certainly not particularly riled up over this.
I demand riledupness!

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Round 8 vs the Dogs. That should mark the annual "let's play SPS in his rightful spot" occasion, we froth at the prospect of this becoming a permanent gig, and then our hopes are crushed in the subsequent weeks.

Charlie to return for it and this time kick 14 goals against them.

In the same game, Harry won’t play particularly well but will accidentally kick 5 of his own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back