Bluemour Melting Pot XXX - Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot! šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
could this not be a PR stunt of sorts? Plenty of ITKā€™s with very good reputations suggested weā€™d get him.

It would be poor optics had the club sacked Teague and hired Clarkson on the same day. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye. I donā€™t know.
Nope. Let go. It's not happening.

What concerns me about this is the fact that he is still employed. I canā€™t shake the feeling that he is being kept in the job as a fallback option - and if this is the case the criticism from many media types and legends of the game is completely founded.
To me the basic question should be: is Teague equipped to be our coach going forward, based on the review and the eye test from the last 2 seasons?
If no, cut the cord and fire him. Then seek the best candidate with clear air.
If yes, back him in, get some better support around him in a Head of Footy and some experienced assistants. But to keep him in no manā€™s land benefits no-one. Every day it drags on makes us look less and less competent.
Itā€™s all well and good to start the process by saying that we wonā€™t be hurried by media timelines, but to my untrained eye this looks a messy way to go about it.

I'd laugh if they offered him the job (which is weird given it's his anyway) only for him to say 'no'.

Besides performance, what are people's gripes with Teague.

Honestly surprised with the vitriol he is getting.

He hasn't tanked us, but we haven't lived up to expectations.

To me this feels very Ratten esque

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

When the expected scores ladder was getting around in June it showed that based on our goal attempt locations and in-game context, we should've won the Port Adelaide and I think the Bulldogs games (i.e., we missed extremely gettable goals). Just those two would've had us breathing down the neck of the 8, not to mention similar results later in the year (our kicking in the Geelong game was so painful).

what I donā€™t understand is surely the outcome of the review is Teague is suitable or not - not Teague is suitable if we canā€™t find someone better. So why is he still employed if that is what the reports says ?

Because the review won't just be a list of s**t staff who need to go.

It will be a list of problems with how the footy department is operating, and the club is then responsible for determining which problems can be addressed without changing personnel, and which personnel can't adapt to the necessary change.

For example, instead of saying "Teague played favourites", it might suggest that selection preference has been afforded to players based on achieving milestones, which has compromised our performance on-field because the team selected wasn't the best available, and because doing so also indirectly lowered the expected standards of players who were selected on merit. In other words, by selecting Murphy when he wasn't deserving, we went in with a weaker starting side than we should have, and a number of players then felt they didn't need to play with as much physicality.

The takeaway isn't necessarily "Teague is s**t and needs to go", it could be "If we sign a new coach they need to have a purely "meritorious" selection philosophy OR we need Teague to adjust his selection philosophy AND we need to change the composition of the selection committee so that the new philosophy is maintained".

I think the media has been pretty bad on this review/coaching issue for us, but one point I do agree is they notion that they didn't work out that they were split on Ross Lyon until the last minute is amateurish. We should've known weeks ago whether or not he was an option we'd consider, to still be debating it now is terrible.

It would be poor if it were true. I don't know that it's true. Is it true? Or just more guesswork?

Pyke definitely the GO now in my opinion
Great record and definitely would have learnt from past indiscretions
Crows were a decent well drilled side when he was at the helm

if not get Rossā€¦

Late Aug is one of the two busiest times of the year for me at work.

It's also right before I have my annual performance review and not a good time to be goofing off.

Every year, I pledge not to get caught up in the silly season hype. Yet, here I am. Again.

Ah, it's fine. I'll stay away next year.... :p

About time the board at your work reviewed your work. Apparently they are desperate to replace you with Clarko. But after Clarko rejected their offer, they look like they will settle for Lyon.

Your review on Big Footy went very well. You get an A+ ;)

When the expected scores ladder was getting around in June it showed that based on our goal attempt locations and in-game context, we should've won the Port Adelaide and I think the Bulldogs games (i.e., we missed extremely gettable goals). Just those two would've had us breathing down the neck of the 8, not to mention similar results later in the year (our kicking in the Geelong game was so painful).

Iā€™ll accept that the coach cannot kick the goals, and therefore is at the mercy of the skill set of the players on the day. But that doesnā€™t excuse how inept we looked when we didnā€™t have the ball, and that is all system based. Either the coaches couldnā€™t enforce the system they implemented, or the system wasnā€™t there to begin with. Both of those scenarios donā€™t paint Teague in a positive light.
It may be too basic to put it this way, but essentially you have the ball half the time and are defending the other half. Under Teague I had no confidence that we were able to stop a team from scoring. The corridor was always wide open - one 45deg kick and our ā€œpressā€ was completely broken. How many goals over the back did we concede? Infuriating stuff.
Teague seems a decent guy, I donā€™t want to rubbish him. But some people are leaders and some are followers. He just doesnā€™t seem the leader type to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way I'm going to catch up with 20+ pages since the Clarko news, so if it's true (I know it's come from his manager, but we still technically don't have a coach vacancy, so I'm just not sure), then I don't have an issue with Teague firing his agent and coaching out the last year of his contract, with assistants of his choosing, to show that injuries and support staff were the real issues. If he can't piece it together next year with a (presumably) healthy list and his own assistants, then Clarko is an option for 2023.

It's the only real option if Clarko does just want a year off and we want to keep that as a plan B. Get rid of Teague now and hire a replacement, regardless of who that is, Clarko is a lost option for 2023.

So the club has to ask themselves if they're adamant in moving Teague on now, even if it means losing a shot at Clarko, or if they want to keep the Clarko option up the sleeve for 2023.

Clarko is sh*t anyway. Game has gone past him. Ruined Hawthorn's list to try to squeeze another flag out of them. Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell were the real architects of their success. He's also a sniping prick who king hit our beloved Ian Aitken.

He probably pours hot water on his cereal.

We dodged a bullet.
If it wasn't for #freekickhawthorn, he'd be a zero times premiership coach. What a hack.

(Am I doing it right?)

The fact that all the ITK had the same info makes me feel like the club did it to find the leaks. The media genuinely had no idea what was happening yet the ITK did? Maybe the club is trying to stop all info leaving the 4 walls?

I guarantee at least 1 ITK works in the media.

Did the reviewers actually give the club a copy of lord of the rings by accident! taking forever.

Wormtongue Liddle has King Luke under a spell at present.

All it takes is someone in the media dropping a couple of well timed bombs to shift the entire narrative

• Carlton and Clarkson yet to talk as Teague not fired
  • Carlton have sacked Teague
  • Carlton have formally approached Clarkson
  • Clarkson changes mind, agrees to coach
Clarkson comes out looking like the anti-Ross.

Carlton salvages a PR disaster

I'm not saying it's going to happen but .

Media posturing.

So if we want Pyke, we'd have to pitch to him on culture and work/life balance, and surround him with solid assistants.

Lyon is a disaster waiting to happen, and is a repeat of the Malthouse/Pagan decisions. Clarkson had the potential to be the same, but less so.

What else is out there? Please don't suggest Blake Caracella just because he's racked up some hours as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back