Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Melbourne finished 9th and traded 2 x 1st rounders for Jake Lever.
2018 Melbourne finished 5th and traded pick 6 for Steven May.

Neither in the so called 'premiership window'..

I reckon it worked out ok for them..
Richmond finished 13th in 2016 and traded pick 6 to the Suns for Dion Prestia

2017 Melbourne finished 9th and traded 2 x 1st rounders for Jake Lever.
2018 Melbourne finished 5th and traded pick 6 for Steven May.

Neither in the so called 'premiership window'..

I reckon it worked out ok for them..
They traded and got in AA players, what AA player have we got from the last 4-5 1st round picks we have traded away?

Added to that they started when they were 9th, when was the last time we finished 9th? Year after year we get ahead of ourselves.

SOS failures starting to add up

Pickett x2
Marchbank x2
Setterfield
Kennedy
Dow
SPS
O'Brien
Cunningham

Jury still out on Fisher, TDK and Williamson (late pick)

Dow still unknown.
Cunningham not a fail injury interrupted career so far.
Kennedy playing good footy ATM.
The rest I agree.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We're overating pick 6, especially when we can't develop players.

SPS is a perfect example. Pick 6 from the 2016 draft.

I'd bet 97% of people on this board would choose Cerra over SPS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
We are not overrating Pick 6. You can't base on picking up player from other teams on the basis that we can't develop them. May aswell never pick up a player with our draft picks again.

McKay was Pick 10
Charlie Pick 13

There is a 50/50 chance the player picked up with Pick 6 will be better or worse than Cerra. This then equates his value

Apart from pick 1 who was the last top 10 pick that Carlton nailed in the draft ?

Cerra will cost minimum pick 6 and will be a great fit for Carlton. Our fwd line can potentially be the best in the league if they can stay healthy and there’s not to many others in the league outside of Cerra that you would want delivering to them

Has been in the last 2 u22 team of the year side which is fair effort as looking back only very good players achieve that.

V's our picks?
We have someone different at the helm. We also have players picked up after, who are much better than Cerra.

It almost seems like I am arguing against the kids quality. I am not. I do like him and want him. However Pick 6 is high currency and true value for a high currency player like Cerra.

He has 2 in brayshaw and serong in his own team and its debatable if he will become better then either long term. It amazes me people talk about a kid early in their career as though they can only improve and then turn around and dismiss draft picks as hit or miss. Cerra isn't a lock to improve as a player, setterfield looked on the same path 12 months ago and fell away terribly.

Setters has done sfa so far in his senior AFL career.

Apart from pick 1 who was the last top 10 pick that Carlton nailed in the draft ?

Cerra will cost minimum pick 6 and will be a great fit for Carlton. Our fwd line can potentially be the best in the league if they can stay healthy and there’s not to many others in the league outside of Cerra that you would want delivering to them

Has been in the last 2 u22 team of the year side which is fair effort as looking back only very good players achieve that.
McKay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those wanting to keep pick 6 over acquire a proven commodity in Cerra with over 7 years of footy in front of him. Laughable people.
I haven't seen too many people saying they would not give Pick 6. Pretty much the argument has been whether it is Pick 6 alone or Pick 6 +

They traded and got in AA players, what AA player have we got from the last 4-5 1st round picks we have traded away?

Added to that they started when they were 9th, when was the last time we finished 9th? Year after year we get ahead of ourselves.

Maybe.. but that's not what you posted. You said Premiership sides only trade 1st round picks when they are in contention (eg top 4)

All ive done is higlight the current Premier didn't align to your view as they weren't top 4 (or in the 8), when the bought in Lever with 2 first rounders.

There is a 50/50 chance the player picked up with Pick 6 will be better or worse than Cerra. This then equates his value

The pick 6 from 2010-2019.

Reece Coca
Chad Wingard
Jackson Macrae
Matthew Scharenberg
Caleb Marchbank
Aaron Francis
SPS
Jaiden Stephenson
Ben King
Fisher McAsey

There is only 3 at the most that will be better than Cerra so say the odds would be less than 50/50 that we will pick a better player in the draft than Cerra.

Averages across a career? That's even more dulling. Look at where he was drafted, his injury history and his performances at Gws and in the neafl before he came to us. Look at the season he roared home where he was getting 5 tackles and 20+ posses a game for the latter half of the season playing as an inside mid. Don't look at a guy who couldn't run and was forced to play wing in a team that no one wanted to improve in aside from 2 that will end up true greats of the game.

Setters is seriously talented. However it looks like we've made list decisions that are going to result in the culling of these types so we can honour our one year extension for basic soldiers like Newnes who's ceiling is fringe in a bottom 4 team.

I still chat to a couple mates who do scouting up here in Sydney about setters. They still think he's one of the best inside mids they've seen go through.

With cerra on one wing and doch/lob/walsh/ mixing it up on the other I'd far prefer setters realising his talent in the centre square than continuously throwing Walsh in there. We get a more balanced structure and a confident set of players who train with standards many many supporters will be surprised by players like setters, lob, fish, Dow and probably even Cripps.

I was reading through his draft write ups a few weeks ago and I’m shocked it’s the same player, what he’s described as, is not the player that has ever pulled on a Carlton jumper.

Ive looked where Setters was drafted, pick 5 so the expectations are high, his output is really poor, I don’t understand your comments about, looking at the season he roared home, where he was getting 5 tackles and 20 possessions a game. I don’t understand because you are inflating his output.

2019 last 5 games.
Disposals. 16 average.
Tackles. 2.6 average.

2020 last 5 games.
Disposals. 18 average
Tafiles. 6.2 average.

His tackling numbers are good, but he’s very rarely getting 20 or more possessions, watching him at times this year, he looked disinterested and I find him slow and struggles to play anywhere other than inside mid.

In saying all that, I wrote off Kennedy last year and he has looked like he’s turned it around, SPS wanting out might save Setters, as I expected the club to shop him around. Going off this year, he’s behind quite a few, we will most likely recruit two more mids, that will be ahead of him also.

Time will tell but I don’t see it.

no we don't

The last time we finished ninth we played in and won a final and should of won the next final as well.

The pick 6 from 2010-2019.

Reece Coca
Chad Wingard
Jackson Macrae
Matthew Scharenberg
Caleb Marchbank
Aaron Francis
SPS
Jaiden Stephenson
Ben King
Fisher McAsey

There is only 3 at the most that will be better than Cerra so say the odds would be less than 50/50 that we will pick a better player in the draft than Cerra.
Wingard, McCrae, Francis, Stepheson, King and McAsey are either all better or could end up better

That is 6 out of the last 10.

This is proving my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back