Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the silly ladder predictor thing again - good news is we win the flag.
Win 3 of the last 4 (drop Brisbane), including beat the Pies in the last game to secure fourth position. Swans lose to both Collingwood and Saints and Freo are freefalling.
We play Geelong in qualifying and lose. Beat the Bulldogs in the semi after they knock Pies out, then knock off the Lions in the prelim at the Gabba after learning from the rnd 22 loss. Meet our bunnies Melbourne in the granny after Geelong choke in the other prelim.
Tell me it won't happen.
2 games interstate, two at MCG.

We'll be going well to pick up two. Every chance to get done in all.

Will be a Tiger for a few more years yet.
Never going to be a blue, may go back west one day, but not yet.

FWIW I’m not unhappy about this news.
Baker is undeniably an excellent player, but I think we have bigger needs than his type. I’d prefer to secure our own guys in H & Charlie before spending big on another high-priced recruit. Obviously I have zero insight into the club’s salary cap situation but I can’t imagine we’d have the $ to get him.

We are moving into a new phase of list management now.
Gotta remember we have 38 spots + rookies and only $13.5m to spend.
Got a huge core of B-A+ talent that will command a large salary, we now need to fill out depth with role player we can get for bargain basement prices that we think can provide legitimate competition for spots.
This is a tricky balance. The easiest is to keep topping up with kids from the draft as they present the cheapest options, but then there’s a chance you end up with an age chasm in your list (port for example)

In Sholl we see a kid who has displayed high level footskills on both sides of the body, had 3 of the 4 highest km’s covered in games in 2021 and has potential to work into a rotation in a position we are light on in. Has shown he has the ability to play at the level (2 time rising star nom). But is currently playing in a side that doesn’t do any favours to its wing position. Doesn’t necessarily see eye to eye with the coach, but has still shown he’s willing to work hard in the 2s.

Clubs/players love to throw around the line the the second you enter a club the number you were picked at in the draft is forgotten, but one group of people never forget, the player managers. Bruhn fits into that category. There is ‘cheap’ options then then there are CHEAP options.
Also, whilst Bruhn is immensely talented, our LM and MC teams have finally come to terms with the fact we respect the wing as a position in its own right, we no longer want it to be a position that young inside kids go to waste away.
As it stands the club will be wanting to keep its 1st and 2nd round picks for the draft in the coming few years to bring in top end talent, whilst looking to maintain balance in age and wage with later round pick deals.
It is a tricky list management situation, but one that would be the envy of a number of other clubs. Undoubtedly, the hardest part of the list management game is finding top-line/star/match-winning type players. We have them on every line. Of course, it is tricky to make them fit into the salary cap, but it does mean that the list management energy is put into finding role players.

You don't need to be strong in everything to win a flag. You need to be outstanding in a few things, and then not deficient in others. Given we have outstanding inside mids, we now just need to find/develop serviceable outside mids. Now we have Coleman medal winning tall forwards, we just need to develop serviceable small forwards.

Hope the strategy is exactly what you've put here: go back to the draft to keep the growth coming through the system, and find serviceable players to fill our current gaps.

Baker would be nice to have, but we need to assess where we are at the end of the season. There will still be players and contracts Voss doesn't have in his plans, and we still need to draft a few KPP's to cover list inadequacies.

Scholl is a good idea, and Baker would've been great if expensive. I think we still need to look at a forward flanker or an experienced pressure forward though.

FWIW I’m not unhappy about this news.
Baker is undeniably an excellent player, but I think we have bigger needs than his type. I’d prefer to secure our own guys in H & Charlie before spending big on another high-priced recruit. Obviously I have zero insight into the club’s salary cap situation but I can’t imagine we’d have the $ to get him.
Not what we need right now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The reason we kept playing Boyd even when initially he didn't show a lot is the reason we would be very interested in someone like Baker. Baker is competitive, quick, adaptable, great by foot, very good reader of play. Boyd was starting to show some of these attributes. Hopefully Boyd or Williams can be back for finals in some meaningful way if we make it.

We are not getting Baker by the sounds of it, but someone like him would give more balance than a key at the moment.

If McGovern & Marchbank keep breaking down then we may need more help. But Durdin is there to cover Weitering/Young. We also have a developing 3rd tall in Kemp.

The reason we kept playing Boyd even when initially he didn't show a lot is the reason we would be very interested in someone like Baker. Baker is competitive, quick, adaptable, great by foot, very good reader of play. Boyd was starting to show some of these attributes. Hopefully Boyd or Williams can be back for finals in some meaningful way if we make it.

We are not getting Baker by the sounds of it, but someone like him would give more balance than a key at the moment.

If McGovern & Marchbank keep breaking down then we may need more help. But Durdin is there to cover Weitering/Young. We also have a developing 3rd tall in Kemp.

How is Kemp going in the 2's atm?

can someone sell me sholl please? at once would be nice..........

From a Crows mate:

A few years ago was tracking to be one of the top wingmen in the league.
Can kick sharply and accurately on both feet.
There was initially a knock on his fitness, but worked his butt off to rectify and can run all day.
Dad played for Blues, grew up a Blues fan and entire family are mad Blues supporters.
Has fallen out of favour at Crows, needs a change of scenery and will surely come cheap. (Crows supporters can't understand why he isn't getting a game)
Fills a genuine need for us to round out our team (although a few more HBFers wouldn't go astray...)
Mature head and knows what needs to happen to make top 22 in any team.

Continued here:-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back