Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Bowes' salary is the problem. Taking that on after Cripps, Charlie, Walsh etc have taken less than what they're worth would be dumb.

If we want a second first rounder this year, chances are the only way we can make that happen is by trading our future first.

If the plan is to hit the draft this year, then I don't see why they wouldn't explore that option. Otherwise, going to the draft with only 2 picks in the top 30 isn't exactly something I'd call "hitting the draft"...

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I've seen this comment made a bit but I don't think it's a coincidence the AFL come out with a new policy that condones 'buying' picks through salary dumps right before the Bowes news emerged.

I don't think the club that takes this deal will need to give up much in return to be honest. Any second round pick will be the best offer imo.
Almost certain that the new policy came about after GC rang AFL House and said "we've f..d our list mgmt, help!" Would not be surprised if this is policy disappears again after this year.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Bowes' salary is the problem. Taking that on after Cripps, Charlie, Walsh etc have taken less than what they're worth would be dumb.

If we want a second first rounder this year, chances are the only way we can make that happen is by trading our future first.

If the plan is to hit the draft this year, then I don't see why they wouldn't explore that option. Otherwise, going to the draft with only 2 picks in the top 30 isn't exactly something I'd call "hitting the draft"...
Trade radio confirming Bowes salary 1.7m over 2 years. That is massive. Didnt realise it was that big. Esp for a kid that played VFL this year. FMD what a cluster * of the highest order by GCS. 1.7m for pick 7 and Bowes is not feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 11, 2008
Up high
AFL Club
Carlton
Trade radio confirming Bowes salary 1.7m over 2 years. That is massive. Didnt realise it was that big. Esp for a kid that played VFL this year. FMD what a cluster f*ck of the highest order by GCS. 1.7m for pick 7 and Bowes is not feasible.
The way to get this done is to offer him twice what his current deal is worth. $170k a year for 20 years. He and Jedd Busslinger can help us get two or three flags then Bowes can play VFL until he retires at age 43.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Trade radio confirming Bowes salary 1.7m over 2 years. That is massive. Didnt realise it was that big. Esp for a kid that played VFL this year. FMD what a cluster f*ck of the highest order by GCS. 1.7m for pick 7 and Bowes is not feasible.
It's because they back ended his 5 year deal.
Say he was on 450 (which is still big overs, but top 10 pick, they wanted to keep him), they pay him 200ish a year for the first 3 years. It's poor list management certainly, but it's because they're owing him say 800k, rather than him being on 1.7.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Soldo isn't Max Gawn but he's considerably better in all areas of the ground as an aerial threat than Pitto. Is he worth giving up any real currency? No, but as a cheap option he'd likely replace Pitto and provide depth until TDK is ready.
He's completely unco. Can't play forward. For mine he's not as good as pittonet. At best on a similar level. Why bother?

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
He's completely unco. Can't play forward. For mine he's not as good as pittonet. At best on a similar level. Why bother?
Following on from this Soldo has averaged 2 marks per game and has never played more than 14 games in a season.

Suspect that they may try and palm him off to GWS as part of the Hopper and Taranto deals.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
1fi9dWv7Kj6FCg1R1j (1).gif

Soldo isn't Max Gawn but he's considerably better in all areas of the ground as an aerial threat than Pitto. Is he worth giving up any real currency? No, but as a cheap option he'd likely replace Pitto and provide depth until TDK is ready.

We don't need a cheap option to replace Pittonet. Right now we don't need a Pittonet replacement at all.

As for Soldo, he's a bog ordinary footballer who doesn't represent a material upgrade on Pittonet in any facet of the game.

He has no impact around the ground. He's not a strong mark. He's not a good or even average forward. Maybe he has an edge in his ruck craft but I haven't paid close enough attention to that, and I note Pitto's very strong start to the year in that respect.

Classic case of my newly coined GIGOTOS syndrome.

We see cases all through the year but Carlton supporters are advised to take particular care around September and October each year when this unfortunate ailment becomes rampant.

Cripps w Pittonet FIXED

R1 - 1 vote(was really bog)
R2 - 3 votes
R3 - 3 votes
R5 - 0 votes (Cripps injured, dnp)
R6 - 3 votes (Pitto injured)
R20 - 3 votes
R22 - 0 votes
R23 - 3 votes

8 games: 5 best on ground, 1 1 vote (should've been 3) and 1 no votes - 16 of his 30 votes in about a third of the season

Bottom line: Pittonet makes Cripps better.

The next time someone wants to question Pitto's ability consider this.

Last edited:
That was the one player I really wanted us to land this trade period and it seems we didn’t even have a look. Missed out there I reckon.

He wanted out of Melbourne. Even if we wanted to we had no chance.

Was always likely to join Fagan on a deal that will transition him into coaching like other Hawks players before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back