Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I'm aware they have nothing to do with Brett Temple, but I don't think they have much weight as an ITK.

My 2c, lives in Geelong and has for a very, very long time, has a family with another kid on the way I believe, I don't see him moving for work unless Cook REALLY sells him on the joint.

Think he gets a job at the Cats or doesn't work in football for the near future.

It's a 140km round trip... Geelong to Icon Park, it's just down the road...
You city folk need to get out more :tongueoutv1:

Any thoughts on Ratugolea?

Better fit than Soldo as depth?
As a ruckman, you want to use him up fwd.

As a forward, you'd much rather he be playing ruck...

Last edited:

With need in mind would TDK be better used as a key defender. I just don’t see Lewis young as a premiership key defender.

I'm not seeing Young as a premiership key defender either, but given his age and the inconsistent form of Weitering when he returned from injury and how it may have impacted the rest of our defence, I won't write him off completely. He has a heap of good qualities that translate to a gun tall defender.

I'm not seeing Young as a premiership key defender either, but given his age and the inconsistent form of Weitering when he returned from injury and how it may have impacted the rest of our defence, I won't write him off completely. He has a heap of good qualities that translate to a gun tall defender.

We will see Young as a premiership key defender because he will be surrounded by other premiership key defenders and backs

Young arguably had a better year than Weitering - he dropped off later in the year but probably just needed a rest but Weitering was down for a lot longer

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will see Young as a premiership key defender because he will be surrounded by other premiership key defenders and backs

Young arguably had a better year than Weitering - he dropped off later in the year but probably just needed a rest but Weitering was down for a lot longer

Dropped off but I don't think it was because he needed a rest. He started getting really fumbly and almost froze in possession several times like he didn't know what to do with the ball. It was a little alarming to watch. He's one of many we have who let the pressure get to them though.

Question - Salary Cap

If a player signs on for say 5x $500,000 = $2,500,000…

Due to our cap we need to pay $300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k…

Does the player actually just get paid the flat $500kpa and the erratic
$300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k is for cap accounting purposes?

Or do they get paid the erratic amounts each year? Wouldn’t they pay more in tax?
Sorry for necrobumping, but I'm not on here as much - apologies if someone else has posted

Professional sportspersons, actors and some other professions with "lumpy income" can use income averaging for tax purposes. Usually they can spread balances over a 4 year period which normalises the lumpy payments in a contract - also gives them a tax benefit when they retire if earning no other income.

AFL players on good money are also normally spreading stuff above the top marginal rate, so it's less consequential where it falls.

Yep, poor Weitering should never have tried to block that raging bull De Goey with his shoulder as it was a waste of time and buggered his shoulder and his confidence, so next time he either puts his whole body in, or he gets the * out of there!!!:eek:

Young exceeded all expectations from when we acquired him and his form when Weitering was out was outstanding.
He is a long term key defender with us, hard to comprehend some of the negativity on here, it is certainly not justified on his season.

I dont think we'd trade him, or that we would entertain it. I would though. But Im just a guy on the internet from Brisbane. What I'd do is irrelevant to the club.

Im not sure TDK is ready to be our number one ruck yet, and Im not sure of his fit next to Charlie and Harry. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Also, entertaining trades doesn't mean actively trying to trade or being very willing to trade.

I'd be more than open to hearing offers for TDK, but quite clearly indicating that for us to actually get into some serious talks it would have to be something it'd have to be a worthwhile offer. Imo he's not untouchable, but is expensive.

Agree with him up fwd too, I don't see it, especially with 2 other talls there already. But it gets talked about a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're in the window and we're crying out for a key back and his brother has proved so effective down back then TDK as a key beckman is the opportunity.

If we need an alternative Ruck, why aren't we in the window for Grundy?

So sweet to take some Wobble money to supplement our list.
How long would it take for TDK to learn how to be a key defender and then improve enough to get into the seniors?

Because he's gonna cost a heap of cash for another 5 years or so. Even with the pies paying a bit, it's probably still upwards of $3.5M that's coming out of our books until the end of 2027.

Young exceeded all expectations from when we acquired him and his form when Weitering was out was outstanding.
He is a long term key defender with us, hard to comprehend some of the negativity on here, it is certainly not justified on his season.

Yep wasnt even in the side until injuries occurred - got so much more out of him than i ever imagined. Has some areas to work on - competitiveness/hardness being one (especially when ball is on the ground). Seemed to lift when Weitering went down as well which shows good character traits.

He's shown potential. Can't say yet that he is a long term kpd for us. Many times players play well and show signs then fall away. Only time will tell. Having said that, he was impressive especially when Weiters went down but there are also signs from him that need work. The dropped marks and inability to stand up to pressure and his decision making at times all need improvement. Given he's still young (no pun intended) there's plenty to work with there.

🎼🎶🎵🎤🎧🎸

The Year of the Cat
Al Stewart (2022 coach ella mix)

On a morning with some new trade movements
And a club where they turn back time
You go strolling through retirees like Brian Cook
Contemplating a coup

He comes out of the Bay in a silk suit running
Like the club that he, used to reign

Don't bother asking for explanations
He’ll just tell you that he came

In the year of the cat

He doesn't give you time for questions
As he signs up your old captain
And he’s followed with a sense of his direction

Our flag window reappears

Navy blue tiled walls near Princes’ stalls
There's a hidden door he leads you to
These days, he says, I feel my club
Just needs a legend running through

The year of the cat

While Joel looks at you so cooly
And his eyes shine like the moon in the bay
He makes more sense than Bachar Houli
So you sign him, to find some more grunt inside

The year of the cat

Well morning moves and you're still thinking
And the bus and Tram 19 are gone
And you've thrown away your choice you've lost your ticket

So you have to stay on

But the drum-beat strains of that loss remain
In the rhythm of Melbourne at midday
You know always you're bound by blue
But for now you're going to say

It’s the year of the cat

🐈 🎤🎸🎶🎵🐈

Last edited:
He's shown potential. Can't say yet that he is a long term kpd for us. Many times players play well and show signs then fall away. Only time will tell. Having said that, he was impressive especially when Weiters went down but there are also signs from him that need work. The dropped marks and inability to stand up to pressure and his decision making at times all need improvement. Given he's still young (no pun intended) there's plenty to work with there.

Shown way more positives than negatives....

Crikey, he's only played 43 games!

Compared to SDK in 2022 -

:cool:;):cool:

We must be looking at different games, he was very solid all year and did a exceptional job in the period Weitering was missing.

Shown way more positives than negatives....

Crikey, he's only played 43 games!

Compared to SDK in 2022 -

:cool:;):cool:

Yeah definitely the signs are good, especially given his age/experience and what we paid to get him. Let's hope he can come out of his shell more as he gains experience and play with more conviction particularly when going for marks under pressure situations.

We must be looking at different games, he was very solid all year and did a exceptional job in the period Weitering was missing.
I think some are critical of Young because he has a bit of an awkward kicking style. He has a two hand drop and it looks super awkward and amateur - but make no mistake, despite his mechanical shortfalls he is a jet.

Think he has shown plenty to suggest he'll be a 200 game KPD.

What different games? Are you really unable to handle any constructive criticism of one of your favourite players? Righto...

I did in fact say he was impressive when Weitering was out... but not he nor any other player for that matter can be set in stone as the next kpd for 8 years based off one season...

I disagree about him being very solid all season. But I do like him, thought he was impressive and definitely exceeded all expectations but there were times where he'd make very costly decisions and times where he dropped sitters that you'd expect a solid kpd to take. Like I said, he's got time on his side and the potential is there... let's wait and see where he goes with his game in the next couple of seasons before making calls about him being a long term kpd.

What different games? Are you really unable to handle any constructive criticism of one of your favourite players? Righto...

I did in fact say he was impressive when Weitering was out... but not he nor any other player for that matter can be set in stone as the next kpd for 8 years based off one season...

I disagree about him being very solid all season. But I do like him, thought he was impressive and definitely exceeded all expectations but there were times where he'd make very costly decisions and times where he dropped sitters that you'd expect a solid kpd to take. Like I said, he's got time on his side and the potential is there... let's wait and see where he goes with his game in the next couple of seasons before making calls about him being a long term kpd.
No favourites mate, just believe your commentary is not a accurate reflection of his performance for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back