Rumour Blues coaching search debacle (down to their 4th or 5th choice)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the same way he convinced Lyon, only to be overruled by his Board?

No one, with any sense, is listening to what Sayers has to tell them.

Carlton's Board has set up a selection panel, set up a process, to retain any credibility they have to follow through on that.
Yep, Sayers wanted Lyon, took it to the board who shut it down because of some certain stuff.
They agreed to do a full process and interviews where they could scoope out Lyon a bit more, Lyon saw that and said.. nahhh.

Clarkson would be given the job in one day of the selection process not 30.. It's a smoke screen for supporters to try and show that they're doing the correct thing, now they'll enter Trade/Draft Periods without a coach.

Yep, Sayers wanted Lyon, took it to the board who shut it down because of some certain stuff.

isnt it hilarious how the media won’t actually say the words? they’ll dance around it like Billy Elliot though.

everyone knows what you are refering to Whately…just ******* say it. Sexual harassment

What's the debacle?
Identified Teague and a few assistants as performing below expectations, so they have been sacked.
Clarko is obviously target #1, as he would be for most clubs, his record speaks for itself and he's coming straight out of another coaching gig, so he gets the gig straight up, if he wants it.
Lyon is target #2, with a similar reputation in regards to being a very experienced coach who might not need to go through a process. Sayers may have even given Lyon some assurances in regards to that. No issue there. The obvious points of difference between Clarko and Lyon are the fact that Lyon has spent a few years out of the game and the allegations from his time at Freo, which are obviously in conflict with the Carlton Respects program. Both of those would be reason enough for the board to want to have a chat with Lyon prior to agreeing to hire him, regardless of any assurances Sayers may have made. Lyon would have to know that Sayers can't/won't hire him without approval from the board. If Lyon has balked at the prospect of having to sit through a Q&A with the board and possibly asked some uncomfortable questions, then he's not the guy for the role.
Meanwhile, a panel has been set up to canvass all other options, as a back up in case options 1 and 2 fall through (which was ALWAYS a possibility).

To those saying we will be going into draft/trade periods without a coach, I seriously doubt that. The club said it would be a 30-45 day process and nothing really happens until Oct. We would have already identified any players that we don't really want to keep (may put a question mark on some of the fringe ones), the ones we want to target, who we want to draft, as well as needs for specific roles. We still have a full recruiting and list management department. Can anyone actually say what a coach's input is during this time?

What's the debacle?
Identified Teague and a few assistants as performing below expectations, so they have been sacked.
Clarko is obviously target #1, as he would be for most clubs, his record speaks for itself and he's coming straight out of another coaching gig, so he gets the gig straight up, if he wants it.
Lyon is target #2, with a similar reputation in regards to being a very experienced coach who might not need to go through a process. Sayers may have even given Lyon some assurances in regards to that. No issue there. The obvious points of difference between Clarko and Lyon are the fact that Lyon has spent a few years out of the game and the allegations from his time at Freo, which are obviously in conflict with the Carlton Respects program. Both of those would be reason enough for the board to want to have a chat with Lyon prior to agreeing to hire him, regardless of any assurances Sayers may have made. Lyon would have to know that Sayers can't/won't hire him without approval from the board. If Lyon has balked at the prospect of having to sit through a Q&A with the board and possibly asked some uncomfortable questions, then he's not the guy for the role.
Meanwhile, a panel has been set up to canvass all other options, as a back up in case options 1 and 2 fall through (which was ALWAYS a possibility).

To those saying we will be going into draft/trade periods without a coach, I seriously doubt that. The club said it would be a 30-45 day process and nothing really happens until Oct. We would have already identified any players that we don't really want to keep (may put a question mark on some of the fringe ones), the ones we want to target, who we want to draft, as well as needs for specific roles. We still have a full recruiting and list management department. Can anyone actually say what a coach's input is during this time?
Excellent, sounds like its all going well then. Good job.

PWC is a firm with a dubious record. Sayers is a classic product. Sets up a review with pre determined outcomes thinking he has Ross in the bag but does not clear it with the Board. Sections on the Board jib at the railroading and a process is belatedly put in place.

While Carlton is a lock for ongoing comedy for most of us, we should not forget decent people are at the end of their craziness.

The Board needs root and branch renewal even more than the Pies needed to ditch McGuire.

Can anyone actually say what a coach's input is during this time?

A coach would tell recruiting and list management the kind of players they want them to source or keep in order to execute their game plan.

So, pretty important input there.

The obvious points of difference between Clarko and Lyon are the fact that Lyon has spent a few years out of the game and the allegations from his time at Freo, which are obviously in conflict with the Carlton Respects program.
"Carlton Respects" program, lol.

LOL you approach a guy and then later tell him you're going to take a 45 day process. Can anyone be surprised Ross told them to fu** off.

The process is not just about finding the best person for the job. It’s also about understanding what their weaknesses are and how to best support them with those. To understand how they would need to be supported and managed by their peers and superiors. To understand how the organisation would be structured around them.

Out in the real world nobody gets a $600K+ p/a job just handed to them (unless there is some serious boys club or nepotism going on).

If Lyon really believes that he is the best person for the job then he should back himself.

I enjoy sinking the boot into Carlton as much as anyone …

… but they did the right thing here.

As it’s turned out they’ve sacked Teague a season too early.

On hindsight the Carlton Board should’ve sounded out Clarko BEFORE they proceeded with their “review” that predictably saw Teague ousted.

If they didn't white ant him this year and he went OK next year they'd have a bigger dilemma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you really believe that happened ??

I'm a Caro fan but I reckon she has added a lot of mayo onto that one.

Yeah, I do.

Years ago, Collingwood’s CEO (not the present one) mentioned that the competition between footy clubs stops at the boundary line. He specifically mentioned Carlton and said that they had a very good working relationship to support each other.

Yeah, I agree, it made me spew too.

🤮

No wonder both our clubs have EGM’s being triggered to sort that s**t out! 🤣

Last edited:
Yeah, I do.

Years ago, Collingwood’s CEO (not the present one) mentioned that the competition between footy clubs stops at the boundary line. He specifically mentioned Carlton and said that they had a very good working relationship to support each other.

Yeah, I agree, it made me spew too.

🤮

No wonder both our clubs have EGM’s being triggered to sort that sh*t out! 🤣

Doing some research into it and found this :

Scott's link to the vacant Carlton job comes as Wilson also unearthed what she called a "bizarre twist" in the club's highly-publicised search for its next coach.

"We're told that there have been people at Carlton who have approached people at Collingwood about their coaching process, which we were quite complimentary of," she said.

"It actually was a process, a lot of candidates were interviewed and I'm told that Paul Licuria, the football boss, might've even put it to Graham Wright that some of the IP might be shared with Carlton."

That bit about Licuria has me really intrigued and also adds weight to your theory that the two clubs do try to help each other out from time to time.

That bit about Licuria has me really intrigued and also adds weight to your theory that the two clubs do try to help each other out from time to time.

I guess there are different rivalries in context here.

The Collingwood - Carlton is one we all know and appreciate.

But I’m sure AFL HQ put a lot of effort into rounding the clubs up and having them work cooperatively against the NRL / A-League rivalry for sponsors and athletes.

heard they've sounded out Ange Postecoglou too

It’d be an advisory / support role over Zoom. Ange is doing a fine job in Scotland managing Celtic at the moment.

He was on the Carlton coach selection panel that appointed Bolton.

What's the debacle?

I would have thought it was the 4 premierships….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back