News Blues face $1 million black hole as sponsor pulls out

Remove this Banner Ad

The deal that was done with Career One was a couple of years ago when we had Malthouse at the helm and we were like a rudderless ship.

Fast-forward to now and we are a professionally run club on the rise with onfield success expected soon enough. The price to be on our jumper when we are playing finals plus potentially winning a GF is certainly at more than a lazy $million.

I'd revel in the opportunity to sell that sponsorship (may even offer my services again), it would be one of the easier jobs you could take on, the selling points are just so compelling now.
I meant for this season, but thanks.

And no one writing up 3 year deals is going to project us as a top 4 side with that level of TV exposure.

omni-consumer-products-wallpaper.jpg

Weitering as brand ambassador

the whole govt funded training sector is corrupt off the charts - get us the hell away from that s**t - bad enough how extensively we rely on gambling

Having worked for 15 years in VET, I couldn't agree more. Ive seen it go from an honorable,outcomes based industry to a cash grab for money hungry dogs. The RTO sector now has as much credibility as used car sales.

true - but not great for our bottom line atm
ive alluded to this before and i dont have the actual figures but here goes. we were handed licences for three various pokie venues 4 years ago by bruce mathieson. all of these venues had new 10 year state government licences. the first 4 years of the licences ingolved paying the total licence fee to the state government. the final 6 years (starting this year) there are no licence fees to be paid. this should result in a significant profit from each of these venues going into club coffers.
i know there are many who don't like pokie money. realistically though if we handed the licences back to bruce the clubs would still operate as normal.
looking forward to seeing the end of year figures. hope that the club can find a replacement sponsor this year and that continued improvement will lead to increased revenue streams in sponsorship membership and match day revenue.

Hey!
Having worked for 15 years in VET, I couldn't agree more. Ive seen it go from an honorable,outcomes based industry to a cash grab for money hungry dogs. The RTO sector now has as much credibility as used car sales.
I resemble that remark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its current/imminent collapse will take a lot of innocent people down with it

This.

Quite simply don't go near a company Demetriou is a chairman or director of. His rap sheet is horrendous:
-CareerOne down the drain and unable to pay for sponsorship that it has already received exposure for
-Acquire Learning (ACCC investigating the way its used the government rebate scheme to fleece taxpayers of $800M)
-Capital Health (lost 80% of its company value while in charge)
-Crown Resorts (18 of its staff arrested in China)
-Beyond Boundaries (Demetriou) ran the tender process for ClubsNSW betting, and - through no conflict of interest I'm sure - handed the tender win to.... CrownBet, 62% of which is owned by Crown Resorts

The bloke is a grub.

Completely agree though I thought Acquire Learning owned CareerOne?? As mentioned before anyone should stay the * away from these vocational education businesses, that goes for both being a student, being an employee or looking to do business with them.

The whole sector is corrupt to the hilt, the ice trade has better business ethics.

I did chuckle, but can we stop increasing his wage every time we talk about him? Pretty sure when he came over it was reported as $2.5m over 4 years with an option for a 5th. That's $625k
Yeah but 750k sounded way better for my joke... as the avalanche of likes (4) has well and truly proven.

Need to see if we can get Dan Murphy back on board. Then my polo shirt wouldn't look out of date.
Given where Woolies is right now after the Masters debacle, that's highly unlikely.

Maybe we could just use the 750k Dale Thomas freed up for next year and have DAISY written on our jumpers
Not enough love for this one.

Get Sexyland as the shorts sponsor.

I meant for this season, but thanks.

And no one writing up 3 year deals is going to project us as a top 4 side with that level of TV exposure.

You may be right about not paying $1mill this year, however, Career One may have paid some of their annual amount already which would offset the amount the new sponsor would need to pay.

Anyone writing up a 3-year deal would certainly be projecting us as a finalist with extra TV exposure, it would be one of they key reasons to pitch at a company for them coming onboard as a sponsor.

No-one is going to tip big money into club who has no aim & goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back