Blues in deep trouble. Read this !!!!

• Thread starter Carlton suck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

C

Carlton suck

This is "cut and pasted" from the Bomber-Talk website :

This was posted by a Carlton supporter, who attended the Carlton B&F dinner on aus.sport.aussie-rules
(Usenet). Take a load of this !!!

Hi all,

An old English teacher of mine once said "don't write angry" - I'll start by apologising to her, and by adding
some sort of "these are merely my views" disclaimer.

Today's developments have left me somewhat miffed, dumbfounded and just plain mad. Justin Murphy has apparently paid the price because Wayne Brittain does not see him fitting into his team plan, and due to
a work ethic that was not up to his desired standard. If this is the precedent upon which all places on the Carlton list are to be decided, the floodgates are surely about to open - by Brittain's standards, Murphy
can not possibly be on his own here. Thanks foryour efforts Murph - I'm sure Carlton supporters will remember your time at the club fondly.

I feel that this can't simply be a player management issue - it must also be a financial one. This has me baffled though - I have it on good authority that Murphy's last contract saw him paid 175-200k per
season, dependent on several benchmarks and
incentives. That is said to be some 150k less than Fraser Brown, who despite my confusion, has not been given the chop (see below).

Anyway, here's some tidbits of interest - most stemming from conversations at the B&F (let's call it speculation, just to cover my arse):

* Carlton have officially blown the salary cap, and repercussions in the form of fines and draft penalties will be announced sometime soon. I'm not sure if this
stems from this season just passed, last year, or both. Straight from the President's mouth, if you're doubting my sources.

* Brittain and Kernahan certainly did sit Brown down and give him his marching orders -this was then overruled by Elliott, who would not stand for a club veteran being treated in this manner. Shades of the
prolonged delisting of Elliott favourite Justin Madden here. This matter is not over however, and certain relationships within the club are said to be strained,
to say the least.

* Sav Rocca is a confirmed target - talks are well advanced and I have it on good authority that a deal will be reached soon.

* Sav's younger brother is the centre of most trade attention from the Blues, who see him as the priority target of the trade period - I would imagine that he
wouldn't come cheaply, which further muddies our supposed financial situation.

* For all you students of behavioral science, there was much to study at the B&F count. An All-Australian ruckman was in his usual most jovial mood, and was not afraid to happily greet supporters and field
questions. Two of Dave Allison's other propaganda puppets were in more sullen moods - a young forward was constantly accompanied by various club officials,
and looked mightily uncomfortable the whole night. During several speeches the terms "loyalty" and "unity" were marched out often - most heads looked the way of this player on those occasions, and it
seemed he couldn't get away quickly enough. The other player's wife was asked by a colleague if she and her husband were considering a return to their home state - the response was said to be most positive - the player walked away.

* Brett Backwell hopes to wear a Carlton jumper next season - it was said that he didn't sound overly optimistic about the prospect though.

* During David Parkin's speech (which sounded very much like a farewell) a young forward was asked repeatedly to stop conversing so loudly with his companion, as it was hindering the listening pleasure
of those in the immediate area. When finally asked to show a little more respect, the player responded with a trite "I don't care - he's not the coach anymore". Frankly, recent revelations as to this players attitude don't fill me with optimism.

Enough of that - I've most probably breached some legal lines there somewhere (heaven forbid I start another protracted legal argument regarding defamation etc).

Back to my rant.

It seems the club have painted themselves into an ugly salary cap corner - one wonders whether our 5 million dollar man is feeling the pinch just a little.

Given the choice (admittedly with the benefit of hindsight), I would much rather retain the services of Murphy, than have O'Reilly, Mansfield, Robert Powell and an over-paid Aaron Hamill on the list. Surely if we bow down to Allison's demands for his players that are currently renegotiating, we will just further compound our problems. Or are there other sacrificial lambs yet to be slaughtered? Manton? Beaumont? Hickmott? Are these and other players going to pay the price for the greed of others? As important as Aaron Hamill is, and as inspired I am by
his style of play, no one player is bigger than the team. If we can't meet his demands without further bloodletting, we simply must let him go.

Enough incoherent rambling on my behalf - I would be interested to hear other thoughts on all this. Meanwhile, I think I need a stiff drink.

Well CS, an interesting read to say the least.

I have to admit, the Murphy deal has left me dumbfounded. I can't believe that Geelong of all sides is the one who will benefit.

The way I see it is that last Monday at the club meetings, Geelong just happened to ask Carlton if Murphy was on the market expecting a negative response. My guess is that there was silence from the Carlton side of the table. After considering the offer, Carlton came to the belief that Murphy may be a pawn to ease the salary cap pressures. He has a bad knee and despite being a very very good player, if they could get a high draft pick then they would go back to Geelong with the deal. Geelong, clearly not interested in this seasons draft immediately offered their first pick (10 or 11) and the deal was struck.

As for the likes of Hammill, He should leave Carlton. He will become the star he wants to be in Sydney. He would never be the star at Carlton as he would always be behind Kouta and Whitnall. I believe that he is worth every penny he gets and is going to be a champion footballer for many years to come.

I can't see the Blues losing Allen, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Porter go to StKilda. As for Brown, it would be better for Carlton if Jack stuck his big nose elsewhere. He is a liability, and should have been given his marching orders years ago.

Maybe jack has been there too long. They need a change. Lose the Carlton Pig-headedness and start acting like 1 member of a national competition. Stop trying to run it on their own. New Blood is needed at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back