Rumour Blues investigating selling games to PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
When I lived in Cairns, a team or 2 were fifo'ing some PNG locals in each week to play.

Zero chance this happens, there is no money there, the joints broke.

Australia used to finance the place quite heavily. I wonder if it's still the case?

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.
Interesting comment, especially as the club have come out and said they haven't had to draw down on any money from the AFL this season.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Interesting comment, especially as the club have come out and said they haven't had to draw down on any money from the AFL this season.

What people say publicly vs the reality are very different things. Blues are in real strife financially.

Source: my mate who is an auditor for one of the big 4 who is analysing the books now

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
What people say publicly vs the reality are very different things. Blues are in real strife financially.

Source: my mate who was an auditor for one of the big 4 who is analysing the books now
EFA after this post gets out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham

Source: my mate who is an auditor for one of the big 4 who is analysing the books now
Right......so a club would come out and say everything is fine and dandy financially only for it to come out months later that they are stuffed.

Pretty sure if you know about it then the media would know about it and they woudn't be sitting on a big story about Carlton.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Right......so a club would come out and say everything is fine and dandy financially only for it to come out months later that they are stuffed.

Pretty sure if you know about it then the media would know about it and they woudn't be sitting on a big story about Carlton.

Believe what you want to believe, no need to shoot the messenger.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Doubt,
-they built a new stadium in Port Moresby 2015, holds 15,000, Wont even fill a quarter of that
-Country is also flat out broke, They had piss poor return bringing over the bushrangers a few years ago. Which was a commercial blunder, for a sport the locals actually play

If they go over there it's not for money, Because there isn't a dime to be made. I don't doubt however they;'ve had discussions to do some workshops and get access to a zone which could be great for them

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.
You've never been there have you?

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

It isn't going to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back