Rumour Blues investigating selling games to PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

GWT6

Debutant
Jun 7, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.
There is almost no AFL fan base in PNG - it's die-hard Rugby League, with a little bit of soccer and volleyball. I'd be surprised if 1% of the population had ever seen an AFL game on TV.

On top of that - it's an extremely poor country. Carlton are not playing games in Morseby for a dozen locals to be paying 1 kina each to attend.

TENACIOUS

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.
Maybe it's time, for you to reinvest your energy in your own shitshow of a club

SunshineBoy

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks
When I lived in Cairns, a team or 2 were fifo'ing some PNG locals in each week to play.

Zero chance this happens, there is no money there, the joints broke.

Australia used to finance the place quite heavily. I wonder if it's still the case?
What do you mean used to?

SunshineBoy

Jan 3, 2012
Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Do you mean in that we still hugely fund them and that it's not past tense?

Or are you asking how we funded them?
No I mean we still fund them, I don’t know why, the country is richer in resources than Australia, it just that it I’d siphoned off

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
No I mean we still fund them, I don’t know why, the country is richer in resources than Australia, it just that it I’d siphoned off
I don't think the resources are being exploited and if they were, it would be a foreign nation, like Australia taking advantage of it and Indonesia has taken half the joint and they're full steam ahead mining it.

SunshineBoy

Jan 3, 2012
Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I don't think the resources are being exploited and if they were, it would be a foreign nation, like Australia taking advantage of it and Indonesia has taken half the joint and they're full steam ahead mining it.
Pm me

SunshineBoy

Jan 3, 2012
Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I'm hearing similar, but Rabaul in the conversation.

They want to make a New Britain/Wayne Brittain thing

catchy.
Bit hard to play in Rabaul, the town is under ash, kokopo maybe but even then , footy is reasonably buoyant in moresby, used to have a strong comp in Lae in the 80s

jezzajay

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Giants, Lakers
Having been to PNG on a couple of occasions I just cant see how this is plausible.
Bullshit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)