Rumour Blues investigating selling games to PNG

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.
There is almost no AFL fan base in PNG - it's die-hard Rugby League, with a little bit of soccer and volleyball. I'd be surprised if 1% of the population had ever seen an AFL game on TV.

On top of that - it's an extremely poor country. Carlton are not playing games in Morseby for a dozen locals to be paying 1 kina each to attend.

A lot of recent dialogue in Canberra about potential travel bubbles in the pacific region opening up has throw a real curve ball out there for the AFL.

Apparently COVID hasn't been too kind to the blues from a financial standpoint with a lot of their off field interests not being able to run effectively.

As a result they have been in close discussions witt the AFL and PNG government about running a trial in 2021 where they sell 3 home games per year to be based out of a stadium that will be built in Port Moresby

There's an existing fan base for the game PNG but this one really makes no sense whatsoever for me.

Maybe it's time, for you to reinvest your energy in your own shitshow of a club

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
When I lived in Cairns, a team or 2 were fifo'ing some PNG locals in each week to play.

Zero chance this happens, there is no money there, the joints broke.

Australia used to finance the place quite heavily. I wonder if it's still the case?
What do you mean used to?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Do you mean in that we still hugely fund them and that it's not past tense?

Or are you asking how we funded them?
No I mean we still fund them, I don’t know why, the country is richer in resources than Australia, it just that it I’d siphoned off

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
No I mean we still fund them, I don’t know why, the country is richer in resources than Australia, it just that it I’d siphoned off

I don't think the resources are being exploited and if they were, it would be a foreign nation, like Australia taking advantage of it and Indonesia has taken half the joint and they're full steam ahead mining it.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I don't think the resources are being exploited and if they were, it would be a foreign nation, like Australia taking advantage of it and Indonesia has taken half the joint and they're full steam ahead mining it.
Pm me

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I'm hearing similar, but Rabaul in the conversation.

They want to make a New Britain/Wayne Brittain thing

catchy.
Bit hard to play in Rabaul, the town is under ash, kokopo maybe but even then , footy is reasonably buoyant in moresby, used to have a strong comp in Lae in the 80s

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Members email this morning outlined how the Blues are now debt free and already have smashed their membership record for this season.

This rumour was just some utter s**t made up by somebody who should probably focus more on his train wreck of a football club.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

1612135259282.png

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Not sure anyone can trust any financials record Carlton keep, let alone how they position them to their members out of desperation. My source is still certain this is a very real conversation with scope for reality in the future.

Wouldn't put a merger off the cards if they are looking at this too.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Not sure anyone can trust any financials record Carlton keep, let alone how they position them to their members out of desperation. My source is still certain this is a very real conversation with scope for reality in the future.

Yep those independent auditors the clubs use along with the AFL but the financials can't be trusted.

Debt free, record membership and a new development at Princes Park screams merger to me.

I was going to say there is more chance of James Hird coaching Essendon again than Carlton merging but you never know what Sheeds and the rest of the 'Whatever it takes' crew out at Tullamarine will come up with next.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Tell your source that he should pick a country with some money next time he makes up a story....

Back