Autopsy Blues loss to Suns discussion/rant etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016, he kicked 4 goals at the G when they towelled us up. But guess who kicked 5 that game once again. Freakin Membrey

Billings been good against us too the past 3 or so

Think Bruce kicked 7 versus us in a pre-season game. Made him look like the next Buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond beat us by 4 goals plus and everyone is tipping a big year, Gold Coast beat us by not much more and some of us are sacking coach, captain and various players.
I have a feeling that the Suns may be a pretty good outfit this season.

Richmond beat us by 4 goals plus and everyone is tipping a big year, Gold Coast beat us by not much more and some of us are sacking coach, captain and various players.
I have a feeling that the Suns may be a pretty good outfit this season.
I think we flattered the suns to get within a couple of goals of them deep into the 3rd .
Considering our diabolical skill level on the day says to me theyre ok but nothing special . For once they seem to be all on the same page and working hard .

We gave up a five goal start against Richmond but were stifled from the first bounce by the Suns.
In a way the loss to the Tigers was harder to stomach than Saturday’s effort.

The big issue is we all label the Gold Coast as easy beats but they may just be a lot better than everyone thinks with a new defensive set up and coach who demands high standards. Add to that Jones looked like he was the answer for the gorillas when in fact he is looking lost.

Question has to be asked why did we not just double/triple team their only avenue to goal?

The big issue is we all label the Gold Coast as easy beats but they may just be a lot better than everyone thinks with a new defensive set up and coach who demands high standards. Add to that Jones looked like he was the answer for the gorillas when in fact he is looking lost.

Question has to be asked why did we not just double/triple team their only avenue to goal?
First part of your post makes a fair bit of sense.

As for why we didn't double/triple team Lynch, the entries were so plentiful and casual it really wouldn't have mattered a great deal; kicker had time to pas to anyone due to our turnover up field, and it exposed Jones on the turnover.

And we don't sacrifice our team defense for jack, i'm afraid. I get that we're still learning it - especially in Doc's absence - but deliberately letting opposition kick goals to prove a point irks me.

“Team defence” only works when you have midfield pressure for the quick bombed kicks inside 50 when the intercept markers can get to work, without midfield pressure you team defence is useless
True enough, but for when do you build a gameplan?

Do you do it to perform better when you're in the bottom half of the ladder, compromising what will work when you're in the top half for what's effective now? Do you play the right way, knowing that when the midfield clicks the system which isn't working now will all of a sudden be lauded for both how stingy they are and how attacking they play?

It's pretty clear to me that's the thinking.

Was really bitterly disappointed with the skills watching the game. Upon reflection, though, I think it's going to take a little while for the players to get used to quick ball movement and 'play on' mentality. It's a stark contrast to the game style of the previous two seasons where the intent was to really keep the uncontested numbers up by possessing, then stopping to look for options.

I think the new approach to the game is a really big gear shift in game style and something the players are still getting used to.

From Saturday's game, it seemed to me that the either the player with the ball was one step ahead in his mind before dishing it off, or the receiver was one step ahead in his mind before receiving, where for each situation, the players really needed to be concentrating on what they were actually doing. I think that the 'polish' will come in time, no doubt.

It's probably been mentioned before, but despite the deplorable skills, we still had 67 entries into our f50 (it didn't seem like it though) on saturday. Albeit with a 32% scoring rate on i50 entry (league average is ~45% after two rounds), that means that the mids are getting their hands on the ball, but either delivery into i50 is bad (which it has been thus far) or forwards aren't used to positioning (young players, new fwd line coach, etc.), but probably a bit of both at this stage. It's also interesting to me that we had ~25% of hit-outs (clearly no ruckman) but ~45% of clearances (including 52% of centre clearances!) - it shows we adapted somewhat to the situation - but again, we weren't clean with the ball use. If we had been clean in and around the contest and scored at least the league average for i50 conversions, we'd be talking about a win now, not a loss.

If the players can effectively adapt between attacking style (our new game plan) when required and a defensive game when required (stuff we've seen in the past two seasons), then we can play games on our terms. But what this also means is that we need a strong, effective and efficient midfield, with typical KPP players being adaptable to play between the arcs as well (probably pointing out the obvious here). I believe we have the young cattle to do it.

I agree, though, with other posters here that tackling numbers are a bit of a concern (including Saturday) - we need to remember that we have a lot of young players out there that are either small (although Fisher bucks that trend) or are big (Weiters, H-Mac, JSOS, etc.) and don't know how to use their body yet - these guys are early 20's and have just finished growing (or are still growing!). A little concerning that some of our more senior players are registering lowish tackle counts - I hope this is addressed.

We'll see how we can respond on Friday - Bolts talked about drilling ball skills at training this week during Saturday's post-match presser, so hopefully we're cleaner in the contest and general play. If we are, we are in with a good chance of a win.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back