Strategy Blues Tactics - What do you want to see?

What tactics do you want to see the Blues employ in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1 2 2 full court trap on d switching to man once they pass the half, then run high post rotation through the wings against the swing with a base line cut from the corner on offence

Looks like a bit of a mosquito fleet based on INs this week
I think the pressure will be on Gibbs, Simpson, Walker, Carazzo and Murphy to ensure the young kids can hold strong and run out a full game
The new blokes need to stare each other down and say we've been given an opportunity - let's grab it with both hands!

Less defensive roles
More run
But individuals need to be conscious of the repercussions of turning it over
As Clint Eastwood said 'a man needs to know his limitations'

Port's Hinkley says attack breeds confidence

Well Carlton play with SFA confidence

Understand there is a middle point but by jingoes we are a long way from finding that equilibrium

Mick is the best at developing lists but he needs to release the shackles a bit

watching Richmond tonight v melbourne I've realised it doesn't actually matter at all about arguing about game plan. Couldn't see a single game plan out of either of them. We shouldn't lose to eitheR team with what I saw tonight. With the state our list is in I'd take ours hands down over eithr if them.

TooBlue1post: 38139434 said:
watching Richmond tonight v melbourne I've realised it doesn't actually matter at all about arguing about game plan. Couldn't see a single game plan out of either of them. We shouldn't lose to eitheR team with what I saw tonight. With the state our list is in I'd take ours hands down over eithr if them.

To be fair it was bucketing down. Game plans do and should go out the window for wet weather footy.

In: Thomas, Whiley, Jaksch, Yarran, Kreuzer, Watson, Judd

We need to see this team.

B: Tuohy------------Jamison-----------Buckley

H: Docherty--------Henderson---------Simpson

C: Thomas-----------Cripps------------Whiley

H:Walker------------Jaksch-------------Everitt

F: Menzel-----------Watson------------Yarran

R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy

Bench: Judd, Bell, Carrazzo, Wood

In: Thomas, Whiley, Jaksch, Yarran, Kreuzer, Watson, Judd

We need to see this team.

B: Tuohy------------Jamison-----------Buckley

H: Docherty--------Henderson---------Simpson

C: Thomas-----------Cripps------------Whiley

H:Walker------------Jaksch-------------Everitt

F: Menzel-----------Watson------------Yarran

R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy

Bench: Judd, Bell, Carrazzo, Wood

who's your second ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also like having a mobile ruckman who gets multiple possessions around the grounds and clearances
Hats off to Cameron Wood for his performance in he last two weeks - double digit possessions and multiple clearances!

Gazza Dabba Do has a new tactic and if I have interpreted it correctly it is:
Slow Starts" - lull them into a false sense of security and then bam hit them with "razzle dazzle

There's only one tactic I want to see and that is play on football.

If Murphy reckons fitness is not the issue then it shouldn't be a problem. In both games so far after quarter time the players have gone into their shells and played kick to kick footy whereas their opponents have played on continuously.

It's pretty simple and it's called work ethic. Play on and space opens up putting the opposition on the back foot.

Not really a tactic, but I would LOVE to see that when a player has the ball and looks to kick it off that there are freakin' players to kick it to! If you go to our games this will annoy the hell out of you. Sick of seeing the players stand still whilst the player with the ball is desperately looking for options.

Good Point NavyBlue5 - I would class it as a tactic but it goes hand in hand with moving the ball on by hand which speeds the disposal up and means that our guys are not manned up as much and therefore "their are freakin' players to kick it to!"
Not a big rugby fan but used to play as a kid - two things I think the Blues could learn from rugby:
- in rugby the quick play the ball is critical to good offensive tactics - get the ball moving before the opposition get ready - in our game a quick handball might not pay off every time but if it hurts us 20% of the time that's better than 50:50 contests by having to bomb to the boundary
- tackle around the arms but watch the hips - we need to be better at tieing the ball up and not being sold the candy - surely if Saverio can be brought down to help the forwards we could get an ex-Storm player to come and help out our tackling - Meb must know a few of the boys well enough to ask some favours?

I suspect that this is the other players acknowledging the game plan. Don't look for options, up the line you go. No risk.

However you have to be flexible. Having been involved in junior soccer, player run to position and call for the ball from a throw in, even though the coaches simple instruction was to throw it in tight up the line as it usually ended in another throw in to our advantage and we gained field position. The idea is that it clears out space so if we did retain the ball there are less defenders around as they let to go cover the players calling for it.

Some players will half heartedly make position but with no conviction and the opposition will concede the backward kicks. The idea is to have multiple genuine attempts to get free in front of he ball and in the corridor with a second wave making space behind that. Other teams do it against us whereas we struggle to think more than one possession ahead. Pull it of a few times and the opposition start second guessing. We need to be brave.

I have gathered these posts together because I believe they each identify the glaring weakness in our "game plan" - the need for those who do not have the ball to create simple loose man options by creating space, either for themselves or a team mate.

A set play like the kick-in provides the perfect illustration. It is an area of the game we are very poor at - see 2nd Q v West Coast for an example.

Those who kick in are invariably elite kicks, since there should always be sufficient time for a nominated kicker to take the kick. A long time ago (over 20 years) the tactic developed for the team without the ball to spread and cover territory to prevent an uncontested pass. The first way to avoid "the spread" was to kick out short into the back pocket. A difficulty with this is that the ball is little moved from the defensive goals and the next kick is usually limited to either a kick along the boundary line which is easy to block or a more dangerous kick sideways to the fat side of the ground.

"The huddle" (invented by Walls) was the next innovation to avoid "the spread". Its purpose was to create massive space on both sides of the ground into which, with a subtle block and quick break, players could run for the easy receive. The antidote to "the huddle" was for most of the opposition NOT to follow individual players into the huddle but simply corral them all on the outside. This meant the opposition could always have players blocking the space outside the huddle and, if kicked into the huddle, could always have enough tall players there to make a dangerous contest.

The method now used by the best teams requires space to be created into which team mates can run to receive the ball. The only way to create space against a side that attempts an 18 man team spread in defence is to draw the spread to one part of the field in order to free another part. Often this is done by the player kicking out playing on. When that happens the player on the mark (who is usually 5-10 in front of the goal square) is obliged to follow the now running opponent to one side. Automatically there is now a "space" in that 15 - 20 m zone in the corridor. A team mate running into that space quickly enough, usually running from the side of the ground to which the kick-out player is now running should be free for a handball or kick reception. If that player is not free it must be because the defending player has given up his spread position and is following closely. This means there will be a hole in the defensive spread precisely where the kick-out player is running, either for the kick-out player a team-mate to run into. etc. etc.

The critical feature of the ball movement described above is that it is dynamic. That is, the player possessing the ball and the player receiving the ball MUST be both moving. The beauty of the play is that, once a loose man is created (i.e. a player with the ball without a nearby opponent) it is almost inevitable, if the opposition have used an 18 man team defence, that there will be free space further up the field and play can cascade down the field to a direct shot on goal.

A downside to the above "game plan" is that because every player in the chain is moving, the degree of difficulty of execution (turn overs) is increased. It is fear or lack of confidence in the game plan that then sees players stop to take more time to weigh options or balance themselves - and in that critical time the best teams dry up the options and create turn-overs. Too quickly players retreat into past game plans like "kick it long" (the famous catch-cry of Tommy Hafey) but, usually, the defending team can be guaranteed to have numbers for the long option and any team mates trying to create space will actually be running from that position so that "kicking it long" actually means "give the ball back to the opposition and see if they can do anything useful with the ball". Which worked against the Saints because they couldn't, particularly in the last quarter.

I have gathered these posts together because I believe they each identify the glaring weakness in our "game plan" - the need for those who do not have the ball to create simple loose man options by creating space, either for themselves or a team mate.

A set play like the kick-in provides the perfect illustration. It is an area of the game we are very poor at - see 2nd Q v West Coast for an example.

Those who kick in are invariably elite kicks, since there should always be sufficient time for a nominated kicker to take the kick. A long time ago (over 20 years) the tactic developed for the team without the ball to spread and cover territory to prevent an uncontested pass. The first way to avoid "the spread" was to kick out short into the back pocket. A difficulty with this is that the ball is little moved from the defensive goals and the next kick is usually limited to either a kick along the boundary line which is easy to block or a more dangerous kick sideways to the fat side of the ground.

"The huddle" (invented by Walls) was the next innovation to avoid "the spread". Its purpose was to create massive space on both sides of the ground into which, with a subtle block and quick break, players could run for the easy receive. The antidote to "the huddle" was for most of the opposition NOT to follow individual players into the huddle but simply corral them all on the outside. This meant the opposition could always have players blocking the space outside the huddle and, if kicked into the huddle, could always have enough tall players there to make a dangerous contest.

The method now used by the best teams requires space to be created into which team mates can run to receive the ball. The only way to create space against a side that attempts an 18 man team spread in defence is to draw the spread to one part of the field in order to free another part. Often this is done by the player kicking out playing on. When that happens the player on the mark (who is usually 5-10 in front of the goal square) is obliged to follow the now running opponent to one side. Automatically there is now a "space" in that 15 - 20 m zone in the corridor. A team mate running into that space quickly enough, usually running from the side of the ground to which the kick-out player is now running should be free for a handball or kick reception. If that player is not free it must be because the defending player has given up his spread position and is following closely. This means there will be a hole in the defensive spread precisely where the kick-out player is running, either for the kick-out player a team-mate to run into. etc. etc.

The critical feature of the ball movement described above is that it is dynamic. That is, the player possessing the ball and the player receiving the ball MUST be both moving. The beauty of the play is that, once a loose man is created (i.e. a player with the ball without a nearby opponent) it is almost inevitable, if the opposition have used an 18 man team defence, that there will be free space further up the field and play can cascade down the field to a direct shot on goal.

A downside to the above "game plan" is that because every player in the chain is moving, the degree of difficulty of execution (turn overs) is increased. It is fear or lack of confidence in the game plan that then sees players stop to take more time to weigh options or balance themselves - and in that critical time the best teams dry up the options and create turn-overs. Too quickly players retreat into past game plans like "kick it long" (the famous catch-cry of Tommy Hafey) but, usually, the defending team can be guaranteed to have numbers for the long option and any team mates trying to create space will actually be running from that position so that "kicking it long" actually means "give the ball back to the opposition and see if they can do anything useful with the ball". Which worked against the Saints because they couldn't, particularly in the last quarter.

Sound assessment. Absolutely agree with how bad we are at kick ins.

As you mention the best teams make you pay on turnovers and score well, we don't. Plus we are very good at turning the ball over in the first place but I believe this has more to do with a combination of lack of confidence in self and each other and/or skills (individuals may display anywhere between one to all three components) than any game plan.

The team has no problem getting the ball but they give it back far too regularly to be competitive with the better sides.

Make less errors than the other guy and you'll win more often than not.

Sound assessment.

One thing I will say though is that the team consistently plays turnover football and to compound that a number of the 'senior' players are culprits.

We still don't have enough decent kicks in the team and no game plan will cover for that.

This week it is time to unleash the torp and go down the middle on some kick outs! We have some fast running forwards and would love to see them break it open.

This week it is time to unleash the torp and go down the middle on some kick outs! We have some fast running forwards and would love to see them break it open.
Agree, would love to see the numbers on works against doesn't work. When it does it has an exhileration that can't be beat - the coast to coast that pretty much scores on speed and cunning.

want to see all players have a fair dinkum go. First for the ball, run in numbers, sheperd, talk, spoil. Hard fast leads, pin point passes on to chests.
Run hard both ways, push themselves and each other. Is this asking too much ??

Back