Strategy Blues Tactics - What do you want to see?

What tactics do you want to see the Blues employ in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I say no to the following:
- Two Ruckmen
- Two Taggers
- midfielders who blindly kick the ball forward (put them back in the VFL if they do it)

I want to see more:
- run and carry
- multiple handballs from contests until outside runner is free or a kick is directed to a player
- run and carry
- Plan B - kickins
- Plan B - forward line structure - what are we gonna do when the opposition sends loose players behind the ball
- run and carry?
- man them up, lock the contest down and score via clearances?
- do something!

I will put up with:
- mistakes made by in close handballs
- running with the ball and getting caught
- young kids having a crack and getting beat
- losses where we made mistakes and got beaten playing an exciting brand of football

I want to see us actually employ a tactic.. any tactic.

As it stands it seems the players go out there either confused by what they are supposed to do or simply can't execute what they are being asked to do.

How about we drop the tags and go back to the basics. Let the players play and let them take risks. Let them run and carry. Let them start to enjoy their footy again and build some confidence. One things for sure, it couldn't be worse than what they are dishing up at the moment.

At least when we were real s**t a few years back we had exciting players like fev.

I want to see us actually employ a tactic.. any tactic.

As it stands it seems the players go out there either confused by what they are supposed to do or simply can't execute what they are being asked to do.

How about we drop the tags and go back to the basics. Let the players play and let them take risks. Let them run and carry. Let them start to enjoy their footy again and build some confidence. One things for sure, it couldn't be worse than what they are dishing up at the moment.

I was against tags at the start because I thought it hampered any attacking option.

Now I can't see what the plan is. Against the Saints it looked liked we just tightened the screws really hard and they fell away, but what was that against the Pies? and The WCE before hand.

Like BBB says the players look lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind seeing an extra at the stoppages. We seem to be winning a Sergeant Bargearse shitload of dim sims worth of stoppages but just bomb it forward to no one.

It's like we are missing a link in the chain on the outside.

th

Our issues are at least 50% structure/tactics. This has been evident every week, but hilighted today especially.

We dominated the centre clearances for 90% of the match. We won the majority of disputed, hard ball for the match. We were not outbodied or outmarked.

However, tactically, other than our clearance setup - we are shot! (And this is probably more to do with Cripps/Judd's ball-winning ability than structures).

• We consistently kick it to their lose man in defence.
  • There are no runners providing link-up play, to actually create opportunities up field.
  • We are unable to go coast to coast, instead we stagnate, stop and prop, kick wide to a contest and create another stoppage.
  • Yet, even Brisbane, shitty shitty Brisbane, were able to repeatedly slingshot from defence to create goals, to go coast-to-coast, to create opportunities for a forward to take a mark on the lead, rather than a contested mark amoung 35 other players.
  • Our defenders don't talk, they run into each others space, run into each other, don't block for each other running out, don't know whose job it is to touch the ball on the opposition goal line.
  • We still play 10 players in tagging or defensive roles every game.
  • We do not have a fastbreak game plan, as evidenced when TOmmy Bell won the ball and started to stream forward, only to look up to see 2 Brisbane Players and no-one running for him or providing a target.
This is probably part-emotional, but I have finally lost faith in Mick's ability as a tactical coach. Further, I have believed since 2011 that Barker has his own verison of the midas touch - "everything he touches, turns to sh1t". I would donate to a petition/fundraiser to payout his contract and make sure he never sets foot within 2 km of our football club ever again.

A method of taking ball from defence to attack without turning it over on centre wing or punching it over the boundary line.

We are the most predictable footy side in the comp. we win the clearance and give it straight back to them.......and people want to blame our defence?!?

Also I'd like to see some forward pressure. You know tackling, chasing,
smothering, bumping and locking the ball inside 50!!
This might mean having some forwards who don't get sucked up the ground every game!!!!!!

A method of taking ball from defence to attack without turning it over on centre wing or punching it over the boundary line.

We are the most predictable footy side in the comp. we win the clearance and give it straight back to them.......and people want to blame our defence?!?

Also I'd like to see some forward pressure. You know tackling, chasing,
smothering, bumping and locking the ball inside 50!!
This might mean having some forwards who don't get sucked up the ground every game!!!!!!
Its a shame when the Auskickers play better than you AFL team. Sad day indeed.

Back