Strategy Blues to trade first round pick - who do they target?

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Coniglio goes to West Coast or the Hawks if he leaves and I don't see Kelly anywhere besides North if he decides to leave. Leaves Tomlinson which imo wouldn't be worth it and Taranto, who you would need to trade more than just the one pick for.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Coniglio goes to West Coast or the Hawks if he leaves and I don't see Kelly anywhere besides North if he decides to leave. Leaves Tomlinson which imo wouldn't be worth it and Taranto, who you would need to trade more than just the one pick for.
And I'm sure GWS will have the salary cap to keep Coniglio and Taranto if Kelly decides to leave for North.
Fanciful to think they could get any of those three to join.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton will need to target a ruckman in the next couple of years. Crows should have got one this year, so next year we definitely need one too. Other than that, Carlton should look to add a decent KPD. I think Carlton will struggle to compete with the other clubs for FAs as players will prefer to move to other clubs.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton will need to target a ruckman in the next couple of years. Crows should have got one this year, so next year we definitely need one too. Other than that, Carlton should look to add a decent KPD. I think Carlton will struggle to compete with the other clubs for FAs as players will prefer to move to other clubs.

I agree, both clubs needs a decent ruckman in the 23-26 age bracket, doesn't need to be elite though.

As KPD's we have Weitering, Macreadie, Ben Silvagni, Goddard, so I agree at this stage that looks thin moving forward, especially with the ongoing injuries to Macreadie and Goddard

Any club that is bottom 4-5, struggles to attract elite quality FA/trade targets, yet many A or B grade players added to sides, prior to winning flags shows that it is about the sum of all parts

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

There are other quality FA/OOC players available at the end of next year, rather than just trying to target the likes of Coniglio and Kelly

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are other quality FA/OOC players available at the end of next year, rather than just trying to target the likes of Coniglio and Kelly

Yeah, I agree. No need for every player you trade in to be a star. But you still want to get some upside that they could potentially improve towards A grade status. We traded in Seedsman, Menzel and Hampton and I felt at the time that any one of them had that potential upside of being one of the top players in their respective positions. 2/3 bombed, but looking at Seedsman's last season I can see a genuine A grader there.

I think you should be looking to lower your eyes a bit with this pick and be willing to pay a first rounder for a guy who is probably worth a mid second. Maybe its time to go to a different well than GWS too.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, I agree. No need for every player you trade in to be a star. But you still want to get some upside that they could potentially improve towards A grade status. We traded in Seedsman, Menzel and Hampton and I felt at the time that any one of them had that potential upside of being one of the top players in their respective positions. 2/3 bombed, but looking at Seedsman's last season I can see a genuine A grader there.

I think you should be looking to lower your eyes a bit with this pick and be willing to pay a first rounder for a guy who is probably worth a mid second. Maybe its time to go to a different well than GWS too.

Was shocked Pies traded Seedsman, have always rated him. Never rated Menzel, especially when our morons passed up Talia. Hampton was a strange one, had all the attributes, but he really cost you little.

GWS was situational, they had to cut their list and SOS had first hand an intimate knowledge. When you weigh up all the players vs cost, those positions are still in our favour

Our first pick next year is just part of the spending power, whether that be in a trade or still going to the draft, if we attract some FA's

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know Carlton are keen on Jack Martin, but you will have a lot of competition from a host of clubs if he decides to go. Also Peter Wright and Hopper are others I would look at if I am Carlton.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I know Carlton are keen on Jack Martin, but you will have a lot of competition from a host of clubs if he decides to go. Also Peter Wright and Hopper are others I would look at if I am Carlton.

I don't rate Martin as highly as others, Wright is more a forward, so I prefer a ruck/forward, rather than the other way round (our biggest deficiency short to medium term), in the 23-26 age bracket. I rate Hooper, always have.

Personally I would target Cunningham from the Swans, has a point of difference for our squad, which I believe is a tad one paced unless some of our injury prone players come on

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

This is true we do and a very good one at that. We already have Tom DeKoning coming along nicely and McKay backing up. But we need one more next two years

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Reckon we need a classy small forward.
Gresham/Billings/Rioli are all OOC end of 2019 ?
Would be into these blokes with adelaide's 1st rounder being the guts of a trade ...
No Chance of moving Rioli , He will be signed up to a 4-5 year deal soon specially with Maurice coming in 2020 Daniel is loving his time at Richmond and loves the club
I spoke to him a few times and the kid is a Tiger for life

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
No Chance of moving Rioli , He will be signed up to a 4-5 year deal soon specially with Maurice coming in 2020 Daniel is loving his time at Richmond and loves the club
I spoke to him a few times and the kid is a Tiger for life

Most probably , and harder to lure a player from a contender.
But the Blues have plenty of cash to splash and im sure we will have sounded out his manager.
The saints boys may be easier to snare.
Offer both the generous contract and see who bites first ...

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Most probably , and harder to lure a player from a contender.
But the Blues have plenty of cash to splash and im sure we will have sounded out his manager.
The saints boys may be easier to snare.
Offer both the generous contract and see who bites first ...
What would you consider generous contracts to say Billings,Rioli & Gresham ?
Remembering that St Kilda would have just as much room in their cap space as carlton would as i cant see a player like these would move for less than a massive pay day

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
What would you consider generous contracts to say Billings,Rioli & Gresham ?
Remembering that St Kilda would have just as much room in their cap space as carlton would as i cant see a player like these would move for less than a massive pay day

I agree the saints should also have plenty of cap space even taking into account the Carlisle and Hanneberry contracts.
I would only be guessing re $$$ but the persuit of Shiel showed we are prepared to pay the band for a player we require.
Strange as it may seem to some coming from the team that finished last , id imagine a big part of the sell along with the $$$ to player and manager would be what is being built at Carlton in a window that suits their career span.
McGovern and Setterfield bought into the vision this year and another season under the belts of our highly rated youngsters should see us climbing quickly from 2020.
Richmond are contending now so Rioli would be a longshot.
St.Kilda on the other hand , well ... maybe not.
A nice contract and a future working alongside Curnow , McKay and McGovern might well appeal to either Gresham or Billings ...

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I agree the saints should also have plenty of cap space even taking into account the Carlisle and Hanneberry contracts.
I would only be guessing re $$$ but the persuit of Shiel showed we are prepared to pay the band for a player we require.
Strange as it may seem to some coming from the team that finished last , id imagine a big part of the sell along with the $$$ to player and manager would be what is being built at Carlton in a window that suits their career span.
McGovern and Setterfield bought into the vision this year and another season under the belts of our highly rated youngsters should see us climbing quickly from 2020.
A nice contract and a future working alongside Curnow , McKay and McGovern might well appeal to either Gresham or Billings ...

You are looking at it from Carlton coloured glasses with the upside and the St Kilda supporters would see their team as having just as much upside as Carlton if not more
Just Remember that Adelaide were happy to do a trade with Carlton for next years pick but knocked the saints back even though they added #34 as well
That tells me they see the Crows believe the Saints will improve quicker than the Blues

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
You are looking at it from Carlton coloured glasses with the upside and the St Kilda supporters would see their team as having just as much upside as Carlton if not more
Just Remember that Adelaide were happy to do a trade with Carlton for next years pick but knocked the saints back even though they added #34 as well
That tells me they see the Crows believe the Saints will improve quicker than the Blues

Righteo :thumbsu:

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

Who knows. Billings hasn’t really reached his potential at the Saints yet and if he has an average season ahead, might be persuaded that a change of scenery is in his best interest. Similarly, I’d also keep an eye on how Ben Ainsworth from Gold Coast is tracking.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think you're right. I dont expect to see every FA rushing to go to the last years premiere. The club's system matters no doubt but it's the future prospects you'd think.

Sometimes it's location but there are a lot of clubs in Melbourne so less so for the Blues.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
What do you think?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
What do you think?

Personally i dont think either of Billings or Gresham will be looking at Carlton being a top 2 team and rushing out the door to get to Carlton unless there is very very serious money upgrade and im talking about $700k+ which i think the saints could easily match if they rate them that highly. Then it brings in the question of what the trade would be for a player thats going to be paid that much

Both players i think are still required and rated highly with Gresham looking like a gun in some games i have watched, Personally i rate Carlton slightly higher looking foward 2-3 years but that would and could change very quickly as both teams do have talent and would depend on how they develop and which free agents the 2 clubs could attract in the coming years.

Personally i think attracting free agents of quality Kelly/Coniglio would be the priority and getting cheaper options to fill small foward roles would be better, The Crows were into Tyson Stengle and traded for him at #64 i think it was and he looks to be a decent sort and perhaps you guys might do similar

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Personally i dont think either of Billings or Gresham will be looking at Carlton being a top 2 team and rushing out the door to get to Carlton unless there is very very serious money upgrade and im talking about $700k+ which i think the saints could easily match if they rate them that highly. Then it brings in the question of what the trade would be for a player thats going to be paid that much

Both players i think are still required and rated highly with Gresham looking like a gun in some games i have watched, Personally i rate Carlton slightly higher looking foward 2-3 years but that would and could change very quickly as both teams do have talent and would depend on how they develop and which free agents the 2 clubs could attract in the coming years.

Personally i think attracting free agents of quality Kelly/Coniglio would be the priority and getting cheaper options to fill small foward roles would be better, The Crows were into Tyson Stengle and traded for him at #64 i think it was and he looks to be a decent sort and perhaps you guys might do similar
Sorry Gun i meant who will be better. Saints or Blues.

Back