News Boak Steps Down

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Boak has relinquished the captaincy.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-11-30/boak-steps-aside-as-skipper

TRAVIS BOAK will step aside as AFL Captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club after six seasons in the role.

Boak, 30, is the club’s most capped AFL skipper with 137 games as captain, 135 of those games since taking on the leadership role officially from Dom Cassisi in 2013.

The 2011 club champion has twice been All-Australian and played all 22 games in 2018.

But he says now is the right time to allow a new leader to step up.

“Six years into the job I think it’s the right time to hand it over to the next person, whoever that is,” Boak said.

“I’ve hit 30 now and I’m at the back end of my career so I think it’s a good chance for a change of direction.

“The club is in a good position with everything that’s been set up off the field and on the field with all the players we’ve got in in the past few years, so it’s a perfect opportunity for the next person to come in and take the lead and push the group forward.”

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Right decision, but sad. He's the kind of player and person that makes you proud to be a Port supporter. Sacrificed his game over the past couple of years to play a really difficult role for the team. Never complains, always strives to get the best out of himself and leads by example.

I hope we can get him back into the middle next year with Wingard and Polec gone. Looking forward to him running around in the number 10.

Ljc_86

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was convinced, CONVINCED I would see this legend lift the premiership cup for us.

Hope he still gets to, but a bit tragic it won’t be as skipper.

He will still have a massive presence as a leader though and hope this freedom allows him to have a big year.

Well done Trav

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is a good move.. Time for someone else to have a crack.
Boak's been a great. He'll remain a leader.
upload_2018-11-30_11-35-0.png

Back