Analysis Boak v Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

There's also the consideration that Boak changed his role this year and we might see the benefits of that next year when he's more settled into the role.

He still works his arse off every game.

We already started to see the benefits of that towards the back end of 2017. I think Travis is still an effective player for us but maybe more of a role player than the on field general and leader that he once was. Time to pass the reigns to Ollie I reckon.

Boak whilst not a great year, far from a liability that some are trying to make him out to have been.

Still a very influential player and I think he'll be valuable for another couple of years yet.

In terms of the comparison, Cotchin has always had that little bit of extra class but I think it's fair to say was a neck and neck horse race when Boak was inspiring us throughout 2013/14. Cotchin had a great season this year though and was unarguably the better player.

I'd like to see how he goes without the captaincy.

Unfortunatley for us when you combine his at times poor disposal's with Ebert's cockups ( He was better this year ) in 2015/16 and a good part of 2017 , then we can see right there a major part of why we slid down the ladder for a while , and these blokes are our team leaders , so what do we expect from the others . KH should of made a statement with either of these 2 and chose not to , time to find true leaders.

Cotchins 2012 was amazing, after that we stripped out a lot of weight from the list and at the same time lost our two biggest midfielders in Tuck and then later Jackson. This season we added weight back on the players and added Caddy who's bash and crash around the stoppages is pretty handy for a small ball winner.

Boak I remember being a top 5 clearance player that he has not been the last two seasons. I'm curious as to what's changed? I know Burgess was a big fan of making your list better runners.

Travis is in no man's land atm. He no longer imposes himself on the mid field and with Sam Powell-Pepper stepping up to join Wines, Wingard, Ebert who are soon to be joined by Rockliff it is difficult to see where Travis fits into the midfield mix. Travis hits 30 next year so he still has some footy left in him but he needs to re invent himself. Travis probably has a year to do it and the impulse will be to select the Captain even if his form does not warrant it.

As for Trent Cotchin we need to remember that he was the #2 draft pick back in 2007 and was taken ahead of the likes of Dangerfield and Rioli so he must have been a pretty fair prospect. Maybe Cotchin is simply living up to the potential Richmond saw in him a decade ago. Cotchin is also almost two years younger than Travis Boak who was in our best six at the same age. Who knows, by the time Cotchin is 30 he may also be looking to reinvent himself.

I cannot be critical of Richmond's choice of Cotchin as Captain when Taylor Walker wins the AFLPA 'Best AFL Captain' award two years in a row. Trent Cotchin and Travis Boak are both light years ahead of the inarticulate Walker.

Last edited:
Travis is in no man's land atm. He no longer imposes himself on the mid field and with Sam Powell-Pepper stepping up to join Wines, Wingard, Ebert who are soon to be joined by Rockliff it is difficult to see where Travis fits into the midfield mix. Travis hits 30 next year so he still has some footy left in him but he needs to re invent himself. Travis probably has a year to do it and the impulse will be to select the Captain even if his form does not warrant it.

As for Trent Cotchin we need to remember that he was the #2 draft pick back in 2007 and was taken ahead of the likes of Dangerfield and Rioli so he must have been a pretty fair prospect. Maybe Cotchin is simply living up to the potential Richmond saw in him a decade ago. Cotchin is also almost two years younger than Travis Boak who was in our best six at the same age. Who knows, by the time Cotchin is 30 he may also be looking to reinvent himself.

I cannot be critical of Richmond's choice of Cotchin as Captain when Taylor Walker wins the AFLPA 'Best AFL Captain' award two years in a row. Trent Cotchin and Travis Boak are both light years ahead of the inarticulate Walker.

Cotchin was a blue chip junior, absolute freak who'd been a standout from his peers from primary school being in every state and national side from that age. Boak very highly rated too, but the hype was not quite to the extent surrounding Cotchin in the following year.

Boak has looked cooked for two years. Very strange fall from grace. Reflective of the clubs performances though.
His highs to lows from week to week suggest other things to me.

How serious is Ken, how he plays him, is Travis even trying. Is he injured.

I rate him high in the 3 fakes he played well this year, the rest was droppable. Not even worth half his salary. Ran away from his team mates Vs geelong last few minutes told me all I care to know about his head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more - and given that he played a role closer to goal this year it's pretty disappointing

One of Boak's greatest assets were kicking clutch goals. We missed that during crucial times this year. Cotchins hardness was elite throughout year.[/QUOT

We know when Boak is on though that he is still capable and very valuable - eg demons game

But like the whole team, we need consistency

Cotchin is and always has been a great player.

I still think we don't give enough credit to Travs off the ball work, I can't see him not being captain in 2018.

Cotchin got really aggressive this year. Decided he was sick of losing. The jumper punch incident against Freo's Lache Neale, and punch to the guts of St Kilda's Jack Lonie, pushing the boundary of a suspension both times, he got away with it both times, the attack on the ball and the hullabaloo about his hit on Dylan Shiel in the PF are indicative of that aggressive mindset. His whole attack on the ball has been so much more aggressive this year. That attack on the 50/50 ball with Shiel and that goal he kicked against Geelong late in the game in the QF have been good examples of how hard he has hit the ball and contest this year. Remember when Kane Cornes used to annoy him and tag him out of the game? Not any more does a tagger get away with it. s**t Kane Mitchell did a bloody good job on him last year at Adelaide Oval.

When was the last time Boak got so aggressive and put himself on the edge of getting reported. Sure he has gotten a few melee fines over the years but how many times has he got really agrro since 2014?

This goal against Geelong in the QF is a good example of how hard he hits the contest. It actually needs about 3 or 4 more seconds at the start to get a full appreciation how good a piece of play this was.

One of the great goals for me, can watch that over and over again.

He certainly lacks presence now. He does need to redefine his on field performances and leadership traits. Hard to do but
I'm very keen for a new captain to shake things up and bring some freshness and extra toughness to the team. I hope there is someone within the club with all the required attributes. I can only see the on field stuff and even then its not that obvious. Dixon and Jonas definitely provide onfield leadership, desperation and toughness but Jonas gets rubbed out every year and is Dix stable enough.

The captain needs to be super tough onfield imo and be a really consistent performer. Off field stuff is less important to me as our core business is to win a flag but they need to present ok with the media. Players can grow into the off field stuff but the onfield leadership also shapes outside perception of the team which ultimately effects the club. Most importantly I want a tough onfield leader who demands toughness from all players. Only then can we win a flag imo and with the players coming in we need to set for next year as its a very realistic aim.

I'm very keen for a new captain to shake things up and bring some freshness and extra toughness to the team. I hope there is someone within the club with all the required attributes. I can only see the on field stuff and even then its not that obvious. Dixon and Jonas definitely provide onfield leadership, desperation and toughness but Jonas gets rubbed out every year and is Dix stable enough.

The captain needs to be super tough onfield imo and be a really consistent performer. Off field stuff is less important to me as our core business is to win a flag but they need to present ok with the media. Players can grow into the off field stuff but the onfield leadership also shapes outside perception of the team which ultimately effects the club. Most importantly I want a tough onfield leader who demands toughness from all players. Only then can we win a flag imo and with the players coming in we need to set for next year as its a very realistic aim.
Jonas...could be our man...i am supporter for change. Was ollie but now thinking

The problem is, where do you draw the line these days between "on field aggro just within the boundaries" and getting "suspended".
The goal posts have changed in the past few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back