Board decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Worst post I’ve ever seen on here

Congratulations

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Seeing as people keep quoting me and I get told off for posting in gavs thread have at it here.

Here's two decisions that I think are indicative of this clubs goals and what they really are, in comparison to what I believe they should be. To be clear, I think that our clubs singular focus should be to win a premiership in the AFL and I believe everything else comes as a distant second.

The decision to invest in a women's football team. Obviously, we don't KNOW how much this costs the club but if we guesstimate its roughly the same as the Demons (according to this article) its roughly $157k per year.

The decision to sack Ross early and pay for 2 senior coaches in a year that we did not make finals or look like making finals. Again, we don't KNOW what Ross was on but I think it's fair to assume $600k - $1m.

I believe these are the tip of the iceberg. I don't see how a club that generates the sort of money we do can be so poor on-field without a reason.

I think that our 'real' club philosophy ties in directly with the fact that we have traded out goal scorers with off-field issues, I think it's tied into the fact that we don't even draft forwards and I think it has a lot to do with how Ross coached in his last years here. I think we have a real culture problem where people are not being retained for how good they are at what they are hired for and instead are judged for other reasons.

Has nobody here worked at a place where good people leave and the poor performers that suck up to the boss are retained? Is it really that far-fetched? There is something WRONG at this club.

Seeing as people keep quoting me and I get told off for posting in gavs thread have at it here.

Here's two decisions that I think are indicative of this clubs goals and what they really are, in comparison to what I believe they should be. To be clear, I think that our clubs singular focus should be to win a premiership in the AFL and I believe everything else comes as a distant second.

The decision to invest in a women's football team. Obviously, we don't KNOW how much this costs the club but if we guesstimate its roughly the same as the Demons (according to this article) its roughly $157k per year.

The decision to sack Ross early and pay for 2 senior coaches in a year that we did not make finals or look like making finals. Again, we don't KNOW what Ross was on but I think it's fair to assume $600k - $1m.

I believe these are the tip of the iceberg. I don't see how a club that generates the sort of money we do can be so poor on-field without a reason.

I think that our 'real' club philosophy ties in directly with the fact that we have traded out goal scorers with off-field issues, I think it's tied into the fact that we don't even draft forwards and I think it has a lot to do with how Ross coached in his last years here. I think we have a real culture problem where people are not being retained for how good they are at what they are hired for and instead are judged for other reasons.

Has nobody here worked at a place where good people leave and the poor performers that suck up to the boss are retained? Is it really that far-fetched? There is something WRONG at this club.
I am interested in the things you say about money. Given there is a salary cap and a football department soft cap, if you are spending up to those caps does profit or more money make a difference? If so how?

Our board is a failure and full of mediocre hacks, but being one of the inaugural women's teams was an excellent strategic and marketing decision I would have thought. That's a strange one to criticise when it was one of their better decisions

I am interested in the things you say about money. Given there is a salary cap and a football department soft cap, if you are spending up to those caps does profit or more money make a difference? If so how?

I'm not in the AFL industry so I have no idea.

I can only assume that what we spend comes from the football department.

The caps are in place to try and create equity between the clubs. You are taxed if you go over.

Our board is a failure and full of mediocre hacks, but being one of the inaugural women's teams was an excellent strategic and marketing decision I would have thought. That's a strange one to criticise when it was one of their better decisions

I would like to know how it has benefited us to the tune of 150k a year. Same as I would have kept ross and hire JLO (or whoever) this year instead of last, we could have said to the AFL, we can't afford a women's team, then maybe the AFL would have tipped in more dough. I have no idea, I think saying the inaugural women's team is a nice soundbite but I don't see much past that. Certainly doesn't align with win a flag at all costs.

Women's footy is exploding in popularity and was being pushed hard by AFL House. It makes hige sense to have been the first WA team and to be competitive from day one. Young girls thinking about which team they're gong to support and where they dream of playing one day - they're supporting Freo over Eagles. You don't ignore that opportunity as a board, they have to think long term as well as short term

Yeah, well that's where we disagree. I don't think it matters how long you've been around for without success. If the Eagles women win a flag this year they will have more fans than we do.
But they can't because they can't reach finals. Meanwhile our team can because they will reach finals, and a large part of that is being the first to have a team. Getting access to the better players. Having longer to establish a brand...

If we were second to get a team I guarantee the roles would be reversed - just like they were in the mens.

I'd say if Freo was established before WC then there is a huge chance we'd have tasted more success in AFL than them by this point in time. First to market is a massive advantage. Like enormous! If you think a few $s now isn't offset by that then I'm not sure you understand how investment works.

Firstly Hogan aslant a good goal kicking Girard for us. In fact in his last season with us, he only kicked goals in 2 games.

But I think you are right in the sense that it wasn't Hogan's raw football talent that cost him his job. It was his inability to act in a professional manner.

- He couldn't do a simple quarantine as required by his employer.
- Rumours here on BigFooty during in 2020 post-season suggest that he was late to off-field sessions where the players had to watch and analyse upcoming opponents.
- He showed up to work drunk at least once that we know about.

We don't know why the club made its final decision, but perhaps they were worried about some of our ambitious, high end talent wanting to leave because they felt it was a waste of time playing with guys like Hogan.

That’s all good but the women’s team / injuries take is stupid

Brisbane have less coin than us, a women’s team and haven’t had an injury in 5 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a big melt after one bad game.

To be fair it's 5 bad seasons and this one isnt looking to flash.
6 years in the football s**t can doesn't relate to good management or membership numbers.
I think supporters have every reason to melt.
I can clearly remember Alcock saying that the changes in 2019 would lead to a quick return to finals. As of today nothing has changed.
I can't agree with Wig on his assessment that the womens team is holding us back but his other points are valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008-13 is the only period of time this club has had a genuine direction and did not waver in following the steps to carry it out. It didn’t net us the ultimate but the improvement off and on field was obvious.

That direction has been gone for a while now. Lyon’s comments in the 2015 offseason about winning the flag by 2020 was the first bit of evidence that the club didn’t know where it was at.

There was never any real sense of purpose or clarity about this rebuild unlike 2008, much of our trading has been head scratching and seemed to be more about posturing than following out a vision. I don’t know who is really leading this ship. Dale Alcock? Bell?
There seems to be a heavy reliance on our handful of early draft wins, and our couple of established stars to lead us out of this. It’s not coming from whole club unity.

Watched our AFLW team destroy the eagles at Optus the other day. Feelings of Joy. Shortly outlived once the men came out and played stop start down the line bomb it long football. A little interesting stat. Freo AFLW percentage is plus 200%!!! Exciting football. I think the difference between our men and women’s teams comes down to players, availability, coaching and game plan

Does the woman’s team really only cost us 150k? That’s basically nothing
This is what I was going to say... I make 2/3 of that in my job and I’m not even a manager. Surely we spend a lot more than $150K on our women’s team? We’d just about cover that in airfares alone I would have thought.

I think there is unity amongst the club..the issue is bad list management imo.

There wasnt much unity between 2016 to 2019. That was apparent with all the departures and off field crapolla. On field we were awful too.

Personally i think the decision to get rid of the (talented) party boys was the righr decision.

Not replacing them with same experience and talent is my worry. Bad list management.

Does the woman’s team really only cost us 150k? That’s basically nothing

Net maybe. Gross expenses would be in the vicinity of $500k to a million I would have thought. Of course it brings in income as well.

But lack of money isn't a problem. 2019 we had the largest football development spend in the league, and I'd be surprised if we've been out of the top few at any time in the last decade. Whatever problems we have, it's not lack of money that's causing it.

2008-13 is the only period of time this club has had a genuine direction and did not waver in following the steps to carry it out. It didn’t net us the ultimate but the improvement off and on field was obvious.

That direction has been gone for a while now. Lyon’s comments in the 2015 offseason about winning the flag by 2020 was the first bit of evidence that the club didn’t know where it was at.

There was never any real sense of purpose or clarity about this rebuild unlike 2008, much of our trading has been head scratching and seemed to be more about posturing than following out a vision. I don’t know who is really leading this ship. Dale Alcock? Bell?
There seems to be a heavy reliance on our handful of early draft wins, and our couple of established stars to lead us out of this. It’s not coming from whole club unity.
For most of the post-2016 time period the footy program responsibility was Bond reporting to Rosich. Followed by Bell reporting to Rosich. Followed by Bell reporting to Garlick.

There is little hard evidence that the Board plays a direct role in footy operations. Personally I think that has been to our club's detrement. The Board allowed a clown show to go on for far, far too long

Jeez I'd love to know what went down behind closed doors at Freo during that fateful trade period when Bell said that after doing our due dilligence on Hogan, we were no longer interested. Just like the game of footy ON the field, your first thought is often the right one. The first thought to step away from the Hogan trade has proven to be correct one, but Freo being Freo, we managed to utensil it up badly.

Jeez I'd love to know what went down behind closed doors at Freo during that fateful trade period when Bell said that after doing our due dilligence on Hogan, we were no longer interested. Just like the game of footy ON the field, your first thought is often the right one. The first thought to step away from the Hogan trade has proven to be correct one, but Freo being Freo, we managed to utensil it up badly.

Yeah this is the one for me. Supposedly board endorsed, yet flames out within 2years. Ugly.

Also the Micallef debacle. Key position completely botched mid rebuild.

Yeah this is the one for me. Supposedly board endorsed, yet flames out within 2years. Ugly.

Also the Micallef debacle. Key position completely botched mid rebuild.
Im surprised the Micallef debacle doesn’t get more attention. Gold Coast were stunned when we offered him that job. They knew he was nowhere close to being up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back